RideWithWill

would the honda crf450L been the perfect dual sport if....

so to be honest a  280lb dual sport aint bad. extra weight feels better on the road imo. 

but dam, if the 450L had the maintenance schedule of a klx250, I think it would have been the perfect dual sport in my opinion. I like dual sports mainly because of their service intervals. Sure I have a husky and a Beta, but I ride a lot with a quad buddy who easily does 10 hour rides and 3x a week. Usually then I bring my dual sport since I can go 1 or 2 months w/o changing my oil. (800 - 1000 miles) 

However, the KLX250 is a bit gutless but feels very nice offroad imo and the crf450L feels MUCH better offroad vs the KLX250. 

The perfect dual sport will be when/if Yamaha ever builds a 450 version of the WR250R.  By that I mean basically the same chassis as the WR450F, but with engine architecture like the WR250R.  These plated trail bikes now days with 1 quart of oil capacity will never be more than trail connectors in my mind.  I would never feel comfortable taking one on a long trip with mixed road and off road use aka destination rides.  I think the CRF450l is close, real close.  It seems to be much more refined than the usual trail connector bikes and that has cost it some weight, but still not bad.  Just the oil capacity and maintenance schedule that holds it back. 

• Like 1

no such thing as a perfect dual sport.

dual sports are a compromise of road and off-road capabilities...some want 90/10....60/40...50/50...40/60...10/90...etc...road/off-road capabilities.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

9 minutes ago, OUTERLIMITS said:

The perfect dual sport will be when/if Yamaha ever builds a 450 version of the WR250R.  By that I mean basically the same chassis as the WR450F, but with engine architecture like the WR250R.  These plated trail bikes now days with 1 quart of oil capacity will never be more than trail connectors in my mind.  I would never feel comfortable taking one on a long trip with mixed road and off road use aka destination rides.  I think the CRF450l is close, real close.  It seems to be much more refined than the usual trail connector bikes and that has cost it some weight, but still not bad.  Just the oil capacity and maintenance schedule that holds it back. 

kind of how I feel right now. Kind of waiting around to see what comes out. I still have been eyeing the crf450L since it seems to have a "longer" maintenance intervals than other legit dirtbikes. Thinking of selling the klx250 and drz400 to get me the crf450L since its more offroad oriented than them both

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RideWithWill said:

so to be honest a  280lb dual sport aint bad. extra weight feels better on the road imo. 

but dam, if the 450L had the maintenance schedule of a klx250, I think it would have been the perfect dual sport in my opinion. I like dual sports mainly because of their service intervals. Sure I have a husky and a Beta, but I ride a lot with a quad buddy who easily does 10 hour rides and 3x a week. Usually then I bring my dual sport since I can go 1 or 2 months w/o changing my oil. (800 - 1000 miles) 

However, the KLX250 is a bit gutless but feels very nice offroad imo and the crf450L feels MUCH better offroad vs the KLX250. 

If a CRF450L had the maintenance schedule of the Klunker then it would have similar stock power to a DRZ400 for it's current weight OR the engine would have to be beefed up to deal with that power and you would now be looking at a 320lb bike (which is what a CRF250L weighs).

You have to pay to play.  Period.  There is no way around it with a Japanese company.  Time for everyone to quit complaining about it.

Which is why my Red d/s bike has a kickstart, a fair maintenance schedule, lots of power, gets terrible fuel economy, and weighs 280lbs.  As mentioned above, there are always compromises that have to be made.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bryan Bosch said:

The perfect bike is what sells and makes money. Honda is in the business to move bikes, not make everyone happy, something that can't be done. Here's the perfect dual sport:

image.png

and just how do you move a bike.....make something that I'm happy with....

im thinking the SWM 500 would be my current pick...

1 minute ago, daled said:

and just how do you move a bike.....make something that I'm happy with....

im thinking the SWM 500 would be my current pick...

I've done a dirt with a plate, a purpose built factory dual sport and a full ADV bike. What's best? All of them, sometimes. Get out your checkbook and perfection can be yours!

• Like 4

Having spent a full day and 100 miles on the 450L, the maintenance intervals are no biggie if you spend most of your time on the trails. In that day, I had my fill and changing the oil after every 5 of those days wouldn't bother me a bit. So, it depends upon how/where you'll be using the bike. It's definitely skewed towards dirt, so for some, a KTM 690, Hooskvarna 701, XR650L, DR650SE or DRZ400 might be better suited. It's not like you need a light weight high performance machine to cruise back roads and rip some forest service roads. Just be honest about how you'll ride the bike.

20 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Having spent a full day and 100 miles on the 450L, the maintenance intervals are no biggie if you spend most of your time on the trails. In that day, I had my fill and changing the oil after every 5 of those days wouldn't bother me a bit. So, it depends upon how/where you'll be using the bike. It's definitely skewed towards dirt, so for some, a KTM 690, Hooskvarna 701, XR650L, DR650SE or DRZ400 might be better suited. It's not like you need a light weight high performance machine to cruise back roads and rip some forest service roads. Just be honest about how you'll ride the bike.

kind of looking for a middle ground. Got my Husky 250 tpi for days we are doing really techy rock stuff or hanging with the other dirtbike guys
and looking for something in the middle between a drz and say a beta350rr that is a bit more easier to ride in the gnars when I am just with a quad pulling 10 hour rides. 600 miles seems perfect for me since I already change my oil on my klx250 around 600 to 1000.

prob wont be good to bring my husky or beta on 10 hours rides 2 or 3x a week crf450L seems perfect for those days. weight never bothered me really. But comfort and power does. Love the EFI as well

Edited by RideWithWill

15 minutes ago, RideWithWill said:

kind of looking for a middle ground. Got my Husky 250 tpi for days we are doing really techy rock stuff or hanging with the other dirtbike guys
and looking for something in the middle between a drz and say a beta350rr that is a bit more easier to ride in the gnars when I am just with a quad pulling 10 hour rides. 600 miles seems perfect for me since I already change my oil on my klx250 around 600 to 1000.

prob wont be good to bring my husky or beta on 10 hours rides 2 or 3x a week crf450L seems perfect for those days. weight never bothered me really. But comfort and power does. Love the EFI as well

I did't find the 450L to be a heavy pig, even when riding real pac nw single track. But, I wouldn't call the single track we rode gnar, where your pushing, paddling and using any trials skills you have to get through.  Regardless, it was true single track with lots of turns, some ruts, rocky sections, slippery sections, etc... I feel like the 450L is somewhere between the KTM 450 EXC-F (which is more dirt bike with a plate) and the KTM 690 a purpose built dual sport that can do lite to moderate single track, but does pretty well on the road, even at moderate distances.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bryan Bosch said:

I did't find the 450L to be a heavy pig, even when riding real pac nw single track. But, I wouldn't call the single track we rode gnar, where your pushing, p 5adding and using any trials skills you have to get through.  Regardless, it was true single track with lots of turns, some ruts, rocky sections, slippery sections, etc... I feel like the 450L is somewhere between the KTM 450 EXC-F (which is more dirt bike with a plate) and the KTM 690 a purpose built dual sport that can do lite to moderate single track, but does pretty well on the road.

thats exactly the kind of middle ground I am looking for! Appreciate the feed back! looks like crf450L is in my radar now haha!

4 minutes ago, RideWithWill said:

thats exactly the kind of middle ground I am looking for! Appreciate the feed back! looks like crf450L is in my radar now haha!

If my conditions were like the west, I'd have seriously considered one. I enjoyed my day testing with Honda. It's a good bike. Not perfect, but good. Probably even very good. And, there is support out there to make it yours. Oh, I lived in Colorado. I think it's a good bike for where you live.

Soooo, do you not have a job or what.

13 hours ago, shrubitup said:

If your klx is not FI then why not go with the 351 kit?

from what I have heard, it does not provide much of a difference. Maybe a tad bit more, but its been something I have been eyeing.

• Like 1

My father had a KLX300R way way back when, and I have rode the 250R.  These were NOT the neutered/heavier street legal version they sell now.   I have also rode a full tilt 351.  The 351 I rode was no comparison with the two stock bikes.

• Like 1