RideWithWill

starting to hate quads...and I was once a quad rider myself.

Posted (edited)

Im not saying the riders (kinda depends)...I am talking about riding quads in general. Got to a point where if it snows pretty heavy or something I get pissed off bc I have to take the quad. these few storms I went through I had no desire to offroad or anything because it was not idea for a bike and I was honestly miserable riding a quad. I hated it. Buddy of mine always hints me to take the quad and I just have no desire to, almost like I despise it. Also as weird as it sounds, I feel much safer on a bike than a quad...its more challenging (in a super fun way) workout and sure I fall tons more get injured tons more but w/e

I remember we went out for a ride yesterday and I remember we were going through this trail a lot of people dont go through because it has a bunch of logs and stuff... ruts w/ steep climbs etc and he was like you sure you can make it through? its going to be super technical on a bike kind of like hinting me I should have brought the quad which I am starting to hate.... did the trail no problems..... a log packed field and he even had issues on some tipy parts where I just logged hop and cruised right by. yeah a work out...but heck I love it

anyone else had this dilemma converting over? Just honesty hate to say it, but I hate quads now and cant see myself going back to them. I just dont enjoy being on the trails with them and the weird part is, every time I see a quad rider I get kinda pissed off...(depending) I dont know why. Sitting in the parking lot these quad riders grunting out their machines doing donuts (which I feel they are trying to show off) ripping in the parking lot full throttle no gear... I prob should mind my own business but w/e

Probably a stupid post but, maybe someone out there understands me. Weird part is, I used to be a quad rider since I was 8 yrs old. Only thing I regret is not getting into a bike at a younger age.

Edited by RideWithWill
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

"every time I see a quad rider I get kinda pissed off...I dont know why."

shhh.jpg.4b07fea9c7473c844ec8255b03985122.jpg

Edited by jtanman
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

Quads are ok for say finding a lost calf in a storm, hooking up the trailer to take hay out to the critters in the back 40, going to the store for more beeb when your too drunk to ride 2 wheels. You know all the "Important Stuff!"

• Like 10
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

ATVs and UTVs cater to the lowest common denominators of the off-road crowd for the most part. 

To each their own I guess.

• Like 8

I ride both all the time, each is a pleasure to drive. I don't have the lumbering heavy utility quad either, no no it's play time on the sport quad. But even before you go there with the thought about me doing donuts in the parking lot, that theory is out. I can stand and do circles and get the same effect, why do it on a quad, lol. I have always had both but in a preference I too choose the dirt bike on a vast amount of mountain trails and prefer the Raptor on the hill shoots in Walden. It is unfortunate that a lot of other quad riders that even I come across out there give out a bad reputation that I don't even like to see.

But hate a quad, not by a long shot

Now the riders that do a total disregard to safety and others.....

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Grimlock said:

ATVs and UTVs cater to the lowest common denominators of the off-road crowd for the most part. 

To each their own I guess.

Like my friends in Denver that took their young kids on the back b/c they wanted to get out into nature, enjoying God's creation and family time away from the mall, tv and iphone? Not everyone rides for the sport, challenge or the thrill. Or my friends in Vegas that found that a UTV was a lot of family fun, also away from the city, mall, tv and iphones? 

Both families are nice, smart and fairly well to do people that simply chose the vehicle that suites their wants & needs best. We ride dirtbikes. That hardly makes us special or gifted. To much of the population, we're just a bunch of rednecks. Me? I try not to look down my nose at others b/c they enjoy what I may not.

• Like 12
  • Helpful 3

21 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Like my friends in Denver that took their young kids on the back b/c they wanted to get out into nature, enjoying God's creation and family time away from the mall, tv and iphone? Not everyone rides for the sport, challenge of the thrill. Or my friends in Vegas that found that a UTV was a lot of family fun, also away from the city, mall, tv and iphones? 

Both families are nice, smart and fairly well to do people that simply chose the vehicle that suites their wants & needs best. We ride dirtbikes. That hardly makes us special or gifted. To much of the population, we're just a bunch of rednecks. Me? I try not to look down my nose at others b/c they enjoy what I may not.

why I got into ATVing. enjoy the nature and scenery...but now I just have no urge to ride my quad anymore. Just weird how it happened all of the sudden. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jtanman said:

"every time I see a quad rider I get kinda pissed off...I dont know why."

shhh.jpg.4b07fea9c7473c844ec8255b03985122.jpg

this is depending..not saying the rider...but example other day saw someone on a quad with a baby on it...wife in the back sitting and husband (i guess) holding the baby. but you're right, to ea their own. can say the same thing for 2 wheels if spotted even though that will be a bit harder to do lol

Edited by RideWithWill

1 hour ago, morphrider said:

I ride both all the time, each is a pleasure to drive. I don't have the lumbering heavy utility quad either, no no it's play time on the sport quad. But even before you go there with the thought about me doing donuts in the parking lot, that theory is out. I can stand and do circles and get the same effect, why do it on a quad, lol. I have always had both but in a preference I too choose the dirt bike on a vast amount of mountain trails and prefer the Raptor on the hill shoots in Walden. It is unfortunate that a lot of other quad riders that even I come across out there give out a bad reputation that I don't even like to see.

But hate a quad, not by a long shot

Now the riders that do a total disregard to safety and others.....

Watched 4 quads get unloaded on Sunday.  All 4 riders did donuts in the lot before taking off. The dust blew in my truck and others. Lowest common denominator...

• Like 8

Just now, Charles De Mar said:

Watched 4 quads get unloaded on Sunday.  All 4 riders did donuts in the lot before taking off. The dust blew in my truck and others. Lowest common denominator...

yep this is what I am talking about. im not saying ALL quad riders but these specific peeps. I remember once being on a technical trail going up a mountain creek (part of the trail in CO)

in front of us was a yamaha grizzly with a young kid in the back with no helmet going up this trail...and this trail was not easy...

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Charles De Mar said:

At least those riders were...

• Like 1

Just now, Charles De Mar said:

Watched a group of dirt bikes doing wheelies in the city, stopping traffic and riding on sidewalks a few weeks ago....   

Today two dirt bike flew by me as I walked my dogs on a gravel walking trail clearly marked "No Motorized Vehicles".....

Every sport has lowest common denominators.   :prof:

• Like 12
  • Helpful 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, MentalGuru said:

Watched a group of dirt bikes doing wheelies in the city, stopping traffic and riding on sidewalks a few weeks ago....   

Today two dirt bike flew by me as I walked my dogs on a gravel walking trail clearly marked "No Motorized Vehicles".....

Every sport has lowest common denominators.   :prof:

lol true. 

i think a lot of folks are missing the point of my post though, not really talking about the peeps. I used to like quads and now I hate them. Like, they are just not fun at all anymore to me. Id rather stay home (feeling) than take the quad out. wondering if anyone else had this dilemma as well is kind of what I am trying to have a convo about. got nothing against them hence i ride with them quite often and one of my best buddies only rides a quad

Edited by RideWithWill
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, RideWithWill said:

lol true. 

i think a lot of folks are missing the point of my post though, not really talking about the peeps. I used to like quads and now I hate them. Like, they are just not fun at all anymore to me. Id rather stay home (feeling) than take the quad out. wondering if anyone else had this dilemma as well is kind of what I am trying to have a convo about

Feelings????  Show me on the bear where the quad hurt them.

ktm.PNG.3881089c0abdd124fef2084909f75e6d.PNG

Men-have-feelings-too---meme_1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Like my friends in Denver that took their young kids on the back b/c they wanted to get out into nature, enjoying God's creation and family time away from the mall, tv and iphone? Not everyone rides for the sport, challenge of the thrill. Or my friends in Vegas that found that a UTV was a lot of family fun, also away from the city, mall, tv and iphones? 

Being a good person does not disqualify one from poor decision making.

Lots of good people make bad decisions like taking up smoking, watching NASCAR and driving Chrysler products each and every day.

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Grimlock said:

Being a good person does not disqualify one from poor decision making.

Lots of good people make bad decisions like taking up smoking, watching NASCAR and driving Chrysler products each and every day.

• Like 3

No quads. Never rode one. 

No sxs.

I don't hate quads, or the people that ride em.

Ex quad converts in denial...that they still secretly want to throw their leg over one..just when no 2 wheel guys are watching!. Haha

Jk

Braap

2 hours ago, RideWithWill said:

lol true. 

i think a lot of folks are missing the point of my post though, not really talking about the peeps. I used to like quads and now I hate them. Like, they are just not fun at all anymore to me. Id rather stay home (feeling) than take the quad out. wondering if anyone else had this dilemma as well is kind of what I am trying to have a convo about. got nothing against them hence i ride with them quite often and one of my best buddies only rides a quad

Ya I feel ya. I'm somewhat the same. I view them as more of utilitarian vehicle, a tool if you will. If I'm camping, fishing, hunting or working on the farm they have a place. If I'm out to just to have fun and enjoy myself, bike every time. I find them slow and lumbering and well, boring really. 

I went on a trip in northern Ontario a few years back with a bunch of guys on quads. Riding all the backwoods and trails. I swore after that never again since I was the only one on a bike. I spent half my time waiting on them to catch up. Make a decision if the quads could go down a trail, up a hill blah blah blah while I'm sitting there screaming in my head JUST GOOOOO!!!!