Dom Tesoroni

Harbor Freight Folding Trailer Opinions

I've been looking into some cheaper options for hauling two bikes.  I found online the Harbor Freight 1195 lbs. Capacity 48 in. x 96 in. Heavy Duty Folding Trailer, and read some reviews of guys using this as well. https://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lbs-capacity-48-in-x-96-in-heavy-duty-folding-trailer-62648.html

I'd install plywood on top as well of course. My only concern is that it's a bit narrow for two bikes next to each other. I suppose I can mount the bikes in reverse of each other. Has anybody else used this while hauling two bikes? (ktm350 and yamaha yz125 in this case) 

I had the lighter-weight unit for years, and was able to use it to trailer two '05 SV650S from Michigan to North Carolina and back.  I have the 1750-pound-load and couldn't be happier.  Same dimensions, just a bit sturdier.  I'd see no problem with two full-size bikes facing forward and an 85 (or similar) facing backward between them.  The tip there is to replace the bolts for the post-holders (for stake-sides) with eye-bolts for strap attachments just about anywhere on the trailer.

I run a cut piece of plywood, so it can fold.  I then use stake-sides (2x4 verticals, 1x10 horizontals) with steel slide-latches to keep stuff in and stiffen the trailer when underway.

Edited by dingerjunkie

12 minutes ago, dingerjunkie said:

I had the lighter-weight unit for years, and was able to use it to trailer two '05 SV650S from Michigan to North Carolina and back.  I have the 1750-pound-load and couldn't be happier.  Same dimensions, just a bit sturdier.  I'd see no problem with two full-size bikes facing forward and an 85 (or similar) facing backward between them.  The tip there is to replace the bolts for the post-holders (for stake-sides) with eye-bolts for strap attachments just about anywhere on the trailer.

I run a cut piece of plywood, so it can fold.  I then use stake-sides (2x4 verticals, 1x10 horizontals) with steel slide-latches to keep stuff in and stiffen the trailer when underway.

I feel better about it now, thank you. It's $100 more for the sturdier one, maybe I'll just go with that one instead. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dingerjunkie said:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::applause:

I don't want to hijack the thread, but what's the overall opinion on Harbor Freight trailers? I am on the fence between building a 4' x 6' deck trailer myself or get the smallest Harbor Freight kit for hauling a dirt bike and up to 4 MTB's.

I have 2"x2" 1/8" wall square tube for my own build and would use 2000 lbs axle with 60" flange to flange distance, so this would be much heavier duty trailer, but also fair bit more work and bit more money. I am a competent welder, have proper tooling and this wouldn't be my first trailer build.

59 minutes ago, Olli said:

I don't want to hijack the thread, but what's the overall opinion on Harbor Freight trailers? I am on the fence between building a 4' x 6' deck trailer myself or get the smallest Harbor Freight kit for hauling a dirt bike and up to 4 MTB's.

I have 2"x2" 1/8" wall square tube for my own build and would use 2000 lbs axle with 60" flange to flange distance, so this would be much heavier duty trailer, but also fair bit more work and bit more money. I am a competent welder, have proper tooling and this wouldn't be my first trailer build.

Well my first use will be this weekend after I get it registered, but I wound up purchasing the 1195 lbs. Capacity since it was the only one in stock by me. I got it fully installed last night minus the plywood, and I've got to say it's much more sturdy and solid than I expected it to be.  

This model would 100% be suitable for a dirt bike and mountain bikes, and even more-so if you go with the 1750 lb capacity. Also, the install was really easy. 

• Like 1

HF did not sell the trailers for several months as the older ones did have some issues. The new models are heavier, better in several areas and look very good to me. And with the discount coupons they offer frequently I think they are an excellent deal. I'm waiting on a coupon on the heavy model. Good luck. Northern Tool also has a new model 4X8 or 5X8 that is a more solid trailer all welded and all you have to add is the plywood floor. 12in wheels and $549. I looked at it today and can't remember the exact size, first time I saw one.

• Like 2

On 5/14/2019 at 2:05 PM, Dom Tesoroni said:

I've been looking into some cheaper options for hauling two bikes.  I found online the Harbor Freight 1195 lbs. Capacity 48 in. x 96 in. Heavy Duty Folding Trailer, and read some reviews of guys using this as well. https://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lbs-capacity-48-in-x-96-in-heavy-duty-folding-trailer-62648.html

I'd install plywood on top as well of course. My only concern is that it's a bit narrow for two bikes next to each other. I suppose I can mount the bikes in reverse of each other. Has anybody else used this while hauling two bikes? (ktm350 and yamaha yz125 in this case) 

It is a bit narrow for 2 bikes.  My bike and my girls bike are on in reverse of eachother. But if you have the time and tools,  here's a picture of how I made mine a bit wider and longer.  Then throw on plywood or 2x12s. Mine went from 4x8 to 6x11 plus a little room on the tongue for a tool box or gas cans. 

20181014_143122.jpg

• Like 3

^ Nice mod there. 

There’s a lot of user reports out there on these trailers and it seems that if you take your time and square them well, they trail well at 70-80mph. I don’t have first hand experience yet.

i read that the recall/stop sales was mostly due to the tires, but even better if they have beefed up the design.

• Like 1

It is a bit narrow for 2 bikes.  My bike and my girls bike are on in reverse of eachother. But if you have the time and tools,  here's a picture of how I made mine a bit wider and longer.  Then throw on plywood or 2x12s. Mine went from 4x8 to 6x11 plus a little room on the tongue for a tool box or gas cans. 
20181014_143122.thumb.jpg.03c4c6e263d6df2708f046fc6b885c59.jpg

That still folds I presume?

1 hour ago, Tahoe Gator said:

That still folds I presume?

If you want it to still fold,  you can frame it out that way. I didn't need mine to fold so when I installed the deck on top I made it one solid piece basically.  I feel it's more stable that way with more cargo. But it would still fold up if you make the deck in 2 separate pieces im sure. Itll be a bit heavier to manhandle tho if you use pressure treated.

If you want it to still fold,  you can frame it out that way. I didn't need mine to fold so when I installed the deck on top I made it one solid piece basically.  I feel it's more stable that way with more cargo. But it would still fold up if you make the deck in 2 separate pieces im sure. Itll be a bit heavier to manhandle tho if you use pressure treated.

to keep weight lower, well painted regular 2x4s could work if only planning a few years of duty

FWIW I measured the trailer I use to haul 3 bikes on and it’s just 48” wide, so I would suggest the question isn’t if 2 will fit, but maybe even 3, depending on i) size of bikes (YZ250, TTR125 and KX100 in our case); and ii) if you’re willing to get creative on setup (we run the biggest forward and the other 2 backwards and they are pretty close together, though the only touch points are grips atop a fender).

5 hours ago, BlipYZF19 said:

20181014_143122.jpg

This mod is really awesome. We just got ourselves a brand new miter saw, so I may have found a new project for this weekend. Thanks for sharing this! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dom Tesoroni said:

This mod is really awesome. We just got ourselves a brand new miter saw, so I may have found a new project for this weekend. Thanks for sharing this! 

Here's a side view to get a better idea on how I did it. Drilled a few extra holes in the frame so I could throw in enough bolts and washers. Then added some framing angle brackets on the back end to add some support for loading bikes on. It's not perfect, needed a little bit of jerry-rigging and swear words but at least these pics could give anyone with this trailer a good template to go off of.

FB_IMG_1558027831193.jpg

FB_IMG_1558027824911.jpg

• Helpful 1

Does anyone know the difference between the 1195lb and 1720lb trailers? My gut is to go with the heavier duty one but not sure its necessary for one dirt bike.

The lighter one is more than adequate for two full size dbs. The plywood deck(3/4in) is a huge addition to the strength. Zero worries.

Edited by Piney Woods
  • Like 1

The bigger trailer has (supposedly) a 2000 lbs axle, or at least it's round tube and not just a channel, tires are 6 ply and the wheels are 5 bolt so wheel upgrade would be easier. No idea whether the frame is any beefier. The heavier duty trailer is on sale in May, so if you're buying now, might as well go with the heavier duty option.

• Like 1