2007 wr450f head question and more!

Done tons of research cant find a solid answer. Will a 2007 or other years yz450f head work on a 2007 wr450f as long as i have the cams and caps? Ive sent out my head already to possibly have it machined but in case it cant be done im weighing my options. Local shop already bent me over for 300 just to tear my bike apart and tell me since the head is toast then the rest of the motor is to. They wanted another 200 to keep going and said it would at least cost 2500 after they already had the bike for 3 weeks. Piston and jug is mint and the crank is good to i checked it myself. Could have an oil issue but im leaning towards over tightend cam cap. Only the intake journal that has minor scratches. Im no mechanic just try to do my own research so i dont get had and i still got had. I will be doing the work myself. I have a hard time trusting shops so any help would be appreciated. Seems like some serious down time and coin when these bike fail. 

They usually can fix minor damage if it’s a good motorcycle machine shop. 

The 06’ thru 09’ YZ450 heads should fit. You don’t need YZ cams for it to work otherwise you need to fool with the decompression pin. You need to use the cam caps that come with the head as they are line bored. Different years have different porting but they work. 

Check everything well you don’t need this to happen again. Usually if the crank is bad you would likely see a blue scored piston pin and small end rod surface. 

Edited by StevetheSnake

18 minutes ago, StevetheSnake said:

They usually can fix minor damage if it’s a good motorcycle machine shop. 

The 06’ thru 09’ YZ450 heads should fit. You don’t need YZ cams for it to work otherwise you need to fool with the decompression pin. You need to use the cam caps that come with the head as they are line bored. Different years have different porting but they work. 

Check everything well you don’t need this to happen again. Usually if the crank is bad you would likely see a blue scored piston pin and small end rod surface. 

Ok thank you. I also sent the cylinder and piston to same shop for inspection along with the pin for the piston. 

21 hours ago, StevetheSnake said:

Look at the small end of the rod where the pin goes in. 

I looked at it. Dont see any discolor or anything. Smooth and clean. 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 9:15 PM, StevetheSnake said:

One other thing if you change to a YZ head there are no smog fittings on them. So you would need to take those off the bike like most people do anyways. 

Ok thanks for info. Still waiting to here from the shop if they can fix my stock head. I feel like im so far away from the light. I will get back here when i find more out. 

• Like 1