colorado Salida area trail recommendations

We have a group of us that are doing a last second trip to Colorado (read zero planning.)  We will be staying in between Alamosa and Salida next week and looking for trail recommendations.

Can you point us towards some good single track in the area.  We will drive and hour or two if that puts us on some good trails.  In the brief search it’s been a little overwhelming. Is Salida our best bet?  Any particular trails?

I have always wanted to run the rainbow trail but I am guessing still snow and mud?

Four Mile Travel Management Area literally surrounds Buena Vista in the north end of Chaffee County. It is 100k acres of Jeep roads, ATV tracks, and some single track on Triad Ridge. Trailheads at the north end of town is at CR365 near the old railroad tunnel. There is also parking on CR307 at "The Castles" and at the south end near Ruby Mountain. OHV users pretty much have the trail system there to themselves.

Rainbow trail is a long trail that traverses 4 counties and is VERY popular with bicyclists -- because much of it is off limits to motorized. I've not ridden there, though, so maybe someone who has can comment on the multiple use aspect.

Thanks!  This did come up in my search and I will look closer for sure!

3 hours ago, mrgem said:

Four Mile Travel Management Area literally surrounds Buena Vista in the north end of Chaffee County. It is 100k acres of Jeep roads, ATV tracks, and some single track on Triad Ridge. Trailheads at the north end of town is at CR365 near the old railroad tunnel. There is also parking on CR307 at "The Castles" and at the south end near Ruby Mountain. OHV users pretty much have the trail system there to themselves.

Rainbow trail is a long trail that traverses 4 counties and is VERY popular with bicyclists -- because much of it is off limits to motorized. I've not ridden there, though, so maybe someone who has can comment on the multiple use aspect.

@mrgem You might be thinking of a different Rainbow Trail, because nearly all of the Rainbow Trail from Otto Mears Tollway down to Medano Pass is motorized.  There is a section that is still closed from the forest fire.  @ramz.

Also...yeah....doubt it is open yet...but maybe Rick Ramsey will weigh in and give some indications. 

For the OP...about the only riding areas open is 717, Gulches, and Rainbow Falls.  Maybe Rampart will be open at end of May.  Most riding in the high country doesnt open until June 15th on a normal year.  We had a big snow year in Colorado and snowpack is way above average.

Perhaps that last second Colorado riding trip needs a bit more planning.  I know it may be warm in Indiana, but the good riding isnt open yet.

p.s. I see that @dmac1 is indicating that Rampart Range may be open by next week.

Edited by SilvFx

7 hours ago, ramz said:

Buena Vista, Salida, Bonanza, Sargents info '19

https://advrider.com/f/threads/buena-vista-salida-bonanza-sargents-info-19.1379127/

ps Rampart opens tomorrow.

:ride:

Awesome thanks!

SilvFx I agree our timing is not ideal.  We were supposed to be riding the black hills but they closed the forest trails to motorized travel due to extremely wet conditions.  Trying to salvage the trip hahahaha 

Interpretation of Rick's extensive list for the uninitiated...just a short bit of Rainbow is open, pretty much both sides of 285. 6ish miles...maybe a little more now cuz my info is going on 2 weeks old. Far too early for most of it.

If it were me coming out on a trip, I'd look at more desert type terrain such as  Rabbit Valley ish, or I'd go even further west.  Theres a decent network of trails at RV that extends into Utah (Westwater area, and beyond). Need OHV permits for both states tho to be able to legally ride it all. Camp at RV or motel it in Fruita/Grand Junction.

Yep, for a Colorado long weekend trip think about Montrose area or Rabbit Valley area. The mountains are not ready.

We rode Rainbow falls Monday.  It's fine.  Divide is just down the rode and also open.  Rampart opened today a 8AM.  OP, what part of Indiana are you from.  I live here now, but grew up in Indy.

Western Slope. Montrose area, or Rabbit Valley/Westwater. Not forest riding, but still great stuff. 

High country is gonna be a while, this is Independence pass where the bathrooms are. 

indy pass.jpg

16 hours ago, ramz said:

Buena Vista, Salida, Bonanza, Sargents info '19

https://advrider.com/f/threads/buena-vista-salida-bonanza-sargents-info-19.1379127/

ps Rampart opens tomorrow.

Awesome update as usual.  Thanks Rick!

4 hours ago, redhurricane said:

Western Slope. Montrose area, or Rabbit Valley/Westwater. Not forest riding, but still great stuff. 

High country is gonna be a while, this is Independence pass where the bathrooms are. 

indy pass.jpg

snow and mud should be gone by....oh...i dont know...Late Sept/early October.....

Posted yesterday - 

CCMR have cleared the Rainbow Trail from Mears Junction (285) to the Silver Creek Trailhead- it is open to ride! On this section of adopted trail, members shoveled drifts, cleared deadfall, and moved rockfall to get it open for all users. Still some small snow drifts here and there but are passable.

553016483_Rainbowwestof28505172019.thumb.jpg.53d6eb9cc48a9f6c8bacaf74bc61ab7c.jpg

2010842692_Rainbow2westof28505172019.thumb.jpg.a1588203a631aac8dd6e9969308fe447.jpg

Edited by dmac1

On 5/18/2019 at 8:37 AM, dmac1 said:

Posted yesterday - 

CCMR have cleared the Rainbow Trail from Mears Junction (285) to the Silver Creek Trailhead- it is open to ride! On this section of adopted trail, members shoveled drifts, cleared deadfall, and moved rockfall to get it open for all users. Still some small snow drifts here and there but are passable.

553016483_Rainbowwestof28505172019.thumb.jpg.53d6eb9cc48a9f6c8bacaf74bc61ab7c.jpg

2010842692_Rainbow2westof28505172019.thumb.jpg.a1588203a631aac8dd6e9969308fe447.jpg

I would like to thank the CCMR for the work they did on the rainbow.  Wow what a great day of trail riding.  We did Mears Junction to Silver creek and rode  the other side until we got to the snow at 10k.  Us Midwest flatlanders had to get used to riding on the side of a mountain lol.

Also had a great time in the Del Norte area.  It had very little snow.

Thanks for the help guys, can’t wait to go back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 78scout said:

I would like to thank the CCMR for the work they did on the rainbow.  Wow what a great day of trail riding.  We did Mears Junction to Silver creek and rode  the other side until we got to the snow at 10k.  Us Midwest flatlanders had to get used to riding on the side of a mountain lol.

Glad your trip worked out! Sidehill does get your attention doesnt it!  ?

Just for clarity, I cant take any credit for the trail clearing cuz i'm not a CCMR member. I just reposted it cuz thought it might be useful.

I am a CMTRA member and we focus more on trails in the southern front range.

On 5/27/2019 at 6:05 AM, 78scout said:

Good to hear.  Can you clarify a bit more about what you rode near Del Norte.  Is it the trails north of Del Norte?  or is the the trails to the south/southwest of Del Norte?  Did you ride anything north and west of Creede?  I kind of figured the southern San Juans were filled with snow so the more clarity you can provide the better.

I did Ranbow as an out and back with all the sections from the Silver creek end to the Bear Creek trail head and it is all good to go. The CMTRA team did a great job clearing and getting it ready to ride. I carried my saw just out of habit for early season riding but didn't need it once.

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

• Like 1

News from CCMR:

Rainbow Trail update.  Snow is now clear OR has a passable track through it from FR 201 (Silver Creek) to approximately 7 miles east of FR 101 (Bear Creek.)  Trees have also been cleared from the above portion of the trail.  The OHV crew plans to pick up where some CCMR volunteers left off and clear to Hayden Pass on Wednesday, May 29th.

--------------------------------------------------------------

That's about 33 miles of RBT open, leaving about 24 miles to clear.

See also:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/buena-vista-salida-bonanza-sargents-info-19.1379127/page-2#post-37688277

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 5/28/2019 at 10:21 AM, SilvFx said:

Good to hear.  Can you clarify a bit more about what you rode near Del Norte.  Is it the trails north of Del Norte?  or is the the trails to the south/southwest of Del Norte?  Did you ride anything north and west of Creede?  I kind of figured the southern San Juans were filled with snow so the more clarity you can provide the better.

@78scout  can you provide a bit more detail on the riding you found by Del Norte?  You can PM me if you dont want to post up here.  We are trying to formulate our summer/fall riding plans and when to hit certain areas so would be helpful to know where you found clear riding down there.

7 hours ago, SilvFx said:

@78scout  can you provide a bit more detail on the riding you found by Del Norte?  You can PM me if you dont want to post up here.  We are trying to formulate our summer/fall riding plans and when to hit certain areas so would be helpful to know where you found clear riding down there.

We rode 787 out, 793.2 down, and 793 back to 670.

793 had a 4 or 5 areas with trees down. The ol 350xcf got heavy lifting them over lol needed a saw for sure.

the Del Norte area was awesome.  I feel like we just scratched the surface and only ran into a very small area of snow.  The views/ trails were great.

B8BC4440-01BA-4035-AB12-E6F6733BC921.jpeg

1 hour ago, 78scout said:

We rode 787 out, 793.2 down, and 793 back to 670.

793 had a 4 or 5 areas with trees down. The ol 350xcf got heavy lifting them over lol needed a saw for sure.

the Del Norte area was awesome.  I feel like we just scratched the surface and only ran into a very small area of snow.  The views/ trails were great.

B8BC4440-01BA-4035-AB12-E6F6733BC921.jpeg

good trails in that area. That is where the Shady Burro Race has been the past two years.

Great to hear that La Garita is snow free.

ShadyDay1.JPG

ShadyDay2.JPG

Edited by zzsean