My DRZ build

Nice work! I like the subtle american flag on your headlight.
What clutch lever are you using? Been looking for a good single-finger fit.

Thanks![emoji120]
Clutch lever is a generic eBay stunt type lever and comes with its own perch/mounting bracket. Almost any that you find for 7/8 bars will work
  • Helpful 1

Drz sm builds are still by far my favourite. Had an 06 SM that i built up, rode it and went a different route after a few years. Later on i grabbed a ktm 350exc-f. Sure, had more power stock than the drz 400 with athena BB kit, but something about those drz bikes...they just have such a great following and like a chevy 350, endless aftermarket gear for them. 

Makes me want to do another build?

• Like 1

wow that is an impressive list of things you did to your bike!   Looks sick too!    

I am curious how you matched the piston and rings to cylinder buying them separately, I am new to installing piston and rings and I want them to match up right when I buy them and install, I have been considering an athena ebay kit 440,  550$ plus tax I think?   But under 300$ is tempting for sure, ...  just had to throw a bunch of money into my f-150 front end, there went my big bore money mostly.   

Enjoyed reading the build, thanks for posting all that, with write up and pics.

• Like 1

That's a clean looking sumo! I really like those graphics too, would you mind posting the link of where you got them? Also, thanks for the info on the Brembo caliper. That's definitely on my long list of desired mods lol. I see that you mentioned you're not planning on putting the stock plastics on? Would you maybe be interested in selling them? If so, send me a PM!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dual sport seattle said:

wow that is an impressive list of things you did to your bike!   Looks sick too!    

I am curious how you matched the piston and rings to cylinder buying them separately, I am new to installing piston and rings and I want them to match up right when I buy them and install, I have been considering an athena ebay kit 440,  550$ plus tax I think?   But under 300$ is tempting for sure, ...  just had to throw a bunch of money into my f-150 front end, there went my big bore money mostly.   

Enjoyed reading the build, thanks for posting all that, with write up and pics.

Thanks!!

The 94mm cylinders and pistons are a very common size and I've seen a lot resellers match up Niche or other company cylinders with The 94mm JE piston kit. 

I guess I kind of took the plunge and everything worked out within spec.

5 hours ago, XGr5wo said:

That is absolutely awesome! Your attention to detail and meticulous work really stand out on this build.  Do yo enjoy riding as much as tinkering?

Great job!!

Thank you!

It's a balance, I tinker a lot and usually don't ride as much I used to. But with the DRZ it always puts a smile on my face and makes me ride it more.

? All I can say is awesome job,:cool: Well done and WOW,:applause: looks amazing. Very well thought out,:cheers: now I want to at least detail my girl, mines a 07 S with both sets of wheels, mostly ride street in SM mode, love some info on the clear oil filter cover, thanks for doing and sharing the build, congrats on the really fine job, be proud cause its very NICE...?:cheers:

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 9:58 PM, chadw90 said:

Drz sm builds are still by far my favourite. Had an 06 SM that i built up, rode it and went a different route after a few years. Later on i grabbed a ktm 350exc-f. Sure, had more power stock than the drz 400 with athena BB kit, but something about those drz bikes...they just have such a great following and like a chevy 350, endless aftermarket gear for them. 

Makes me want to do another build?

This is exactly why I chose a drz. Just the amount of info out there and the aftermarket is what did it for me. Originally I was thinking wr250r...Once I saw the drz and the amount of stuff available I was sold. New owner of a 09sm with all the goodies and I absolutely love it.

• Like 2

I have a couple questions..

1..Where did you get the shroud for the headlight. I know its a 501/701 headlight but did you buy it together or piece it on eBay?

2..How is it mounted? The mount looks different from stock obviously and what type headlight bulb does it use?

3..Do you have the seller for the graphics, there are so many on eBay that one can get overwhelmed, I would like to get some from someone that a member has used before.  Thanks for your time and the bike looks awesome, it fired up a desire to crack into mine.

• Like 1

Cool, looks like a lot of fun!

2 things I noticed, coolant hose looks like it may be touching the head pipe and not sure about the routing of the front brake hose.

The coolant hose has a couple mm of space before it’ll touch head pipe and I had to check after every ride and it’s never touched.

The reason the front brake routing looks different up top is because of the slot that is built into the headlight.. the way KTM/Huskys run it.

On the lower portion it’s like factory.

I have a couple questions..

1..Where did you get the shroud for the headlight. I know its a 501/701 headlight but did you buy it together or piece it on eBay?

2..How is it mounted? The mount looks different from stock obviously and what type headlight bulb does it use?

3..Do you have the seller for the graphics, there are so many on eBay that one can get overwhelmed, I would like to get some from someone that a member has used before.  Thanks for your time and the bike looks awesome, it fired up a desire to crack into mine.

So I bought a eBay copy of the Husqvarna fe501 /701 headlight, it comes with a white shroud and complete ready to mount.

I checked eBay yesterday and now about $30

For a black shroud, UFO plastics makes one. Part no: U03387-001

About $30-35

All the hardware that you need will be part of the eBay setup. And it comes with rubber straps that mount it to forks (you have to remove factory bracket by lowering forks; and zip tie up some wiring to clean it up).

Bulb type is H4, if you use an LED one, you just have to dremel off the back of the cap that secures the bulb and make sure bulb is not too wide in the back.

Seller for graphics is: (ra26info).

And I do not see the listing as of now but every few weeks they’re available and cheap too. $60-70