JMaxwell26

Top priority ergo mods for riding a DR650 at 6'4 tall?

Hello, I have a 2012 mostly stock DR650 (new tires/air filter/seat rack). I do about 70/30 street/dirt riding. I ride mostly desert and sandy/rocky dirt trail type stuff here in CA when off-road, which requires lots of standing up to avoid washing out and keeping your balance. I'm 6'4 and have been reading up on all the ways to improve the ergonomics of the bike, notably while standing.

Right now to stand I am leaning way too far forward, and I have the stock bars pushed up a good 30-40 degrees forward- as far as I can ride comfortably while sitting down. I am on a budget and trying to decide what I should prioritize getting as for modifications.

• Most notable considerations at the moment are a new taller seat, lowered/wider foot pegs, bar risers, CR high or similar style handlebar, and a bigger gas tank.

The stock seat is so bad that I think I'm going to go for the tall comfort from seat concepts first off. After that I'm assuming I'm going to need bar risers even more than I do now, would you say it's a must have with the tall seat? Thinking I might just get the $40 riser kit and use that until my stock bars get bent? 

Does anyone have experience with the cheaper stock peg lowering mounts? I'm hesitant to go for wider pegs since the other stuff seems more necessary at the moment and they're very pricey. I'm assuming I could just get the lowering mounts for the stock pegs and upgrade them later on.

So I'm thinking priority at the moment is new seat> bar risers/high bar> gas tank> lowered peg mounts>wider pegs.  Does anyone have suggestions as to better ways to budget all this out? It's going to take some time to get it all purchased so I want to make sure I don't end up with janky ergo's in-between upgrades.

Thanks for any help.

Pics of bike:

-With knobbies -More recent tires

Edited by JMaxwell26

The JNS peg mounts are nice. Avoid the cheap ones that hang down below the frame, you will rip them off. Seat concepts high is a great improvement over stock, as are many other seats. I'd ride it first with the relocated pegs before you change the bars or put risers on. If you don't know them, Procycle has pretty much everything there is for the DR.

6.4 also on a 2016 DR. I got the procycle riser and bar kit, the acerbis 5.3, seat concepts tall and knight design pegs (-1"). I'm pretty sure I added the peg lowering bracket to it along the way. Also I got it resprung for 225# riding weight which raised it up a bit. Also I had to cut off part of the brake height adj bolt to get the brake where I wanted it (lower). 

As set up the bike is perfect for me. Very comfortable.

6'5" 270 here,lowered and moved the pegs back,seat concepts tall foam,kept stock bar mounts with RM/Pastrana low bend bars,moto lab jetting,GSXR muffler,JNS LED headamp and an IMS 5 gallon tank which is not installed yet,emulatars and springs in front,gold valve and spring in the rear,2014 DR

20190403_162601.jpg

On 5/17/2019 at 6:04 PM, troy1160 said:

6'5" 270 here,lowered and moved the pegs back,seat concepts tall foam,kept stock bar mounts with RM/Pastrana low bend bars,moto lab jetting,GSXR muffler,JNS LED headamp and an IMS 5 gallon tank which is not installed yet,emulatars and springs in front,gold valve and spring in the rear,2014 DR

20190403_162601.jpg

Got a pic with you on the bike? I would like to see how the bike fits a person of your height. I'm 6'4" and feel like a circus bear on a tricycle when I sit on one.