Grand Junction or Moab This Weekend?

So, I've got a 4-day weekend this weekend, and want to ride at least 2 of those.  Weather in the Front Range is being a bitch.  Thinking of maybe heading over to Grand Junction or Moab.  I've ridden Moab both on KTM and Jeep, so pretty familiar.  But no clue on good riding in Grand Junction.

• Any recommendations on good riding and camping around Grand Junction?  Map source(s)?
  • Any interest in meeting up in either place?

Plan is for Grand Junction/Fruita.  Leaving Denver-area 8:00ish on Friday and will look for a camping spot at the BLM campground on 18 Road.  Plan to ride Friday afternoon, all day Saturday, and Sunday AM.  Riding spots are 18 Road/North Fruita Desert Rec area, Bangs Canyon OHV, Grand Valley OHV.

If anyone will be in the area and wants to show us around, that is cool.  Send me a PM and I'll give you my contact info.

Does anyone have a map source for the above areas;  either .gpx/.kml or even printed maps?

55 minutes ago, JFjeld said:

Plan is for Grand Junction/Fruita.  Leaving Denver-area 8:00ish on Friday and will look for a camping spot at the BLM campground on 18 Road.  Plan to ride Friday afternoon, all day Saturday, and Sunday AM.  Riding spots are 18 Road/North Fruita Desert Rec area, Bangs Canyon OHV, Grand Valley OHV.

If anyone will be in the area and wants to show us around, that is cool.  Send me a PM and I'll give you my contact info.

Does anyone have a map source for the above areas;  either .gpx/.kml or even printed maps?

Contact T Morgan Spradling at Highland Cycles in Montrose, he has a number of resources for riding in the area.

4 hours ago, mtdirtbag said:

Contact T Morgan Spradling at Highland Cycles in Montrose, he has a number of resources for riding in the area.

I found digital OHV maps of Bangs Canyon, Grand Valley, and North Fruita Desert Rec Area that I can use with the Avenza app.

• 6 months later...
On 5/22/2019 at 4:52 PM, JFjeld said:

I found digital OHV maps of Bangs Canyon, Grand Valley, and North Fruita Desert Rec Area that I can use with the Avenza app.

JFjeld, where did you find digital maps?  We are planning a trip there in the spring.   I'm not finding much in the way of maps / gps tracks.

4 hours ago, 99klr250 said:

JFjeld, where did you find digital maps?  We are planning a trip there in the spring.   I'm not finding much in the way of maps / gps tracks.

Not answering for JFjeld, but I can tell you just looking at my COTREX app, and on the motorcycle setting, I am seeing singletrack, ATV and other roads in the Bangs Canyon, North Fruita, Rabbit Valley area.

I use both Avenza and COTREX and I am finding COTREX to be way easier, since you can download all the maps quickly and easily by geographic quadrant rather than hunting around for the "just right" free map at the Avenza store.

20 hours ago, 99klr250 said:

I use the Avenza app and download the free maps.  I found it easier in this case to view the maps online first, figure out which maps covered the areas I'd be in, and then download on my phone.  I haven't tried the CoTrex app yet, but I've heard great things about it.

Also, I stopped at one of the moto dealers in Grand Junction and found a terrific paper map of the entire area, that covered the areas I mentioned, along with some others.  It is a terrific resource.  Maybe like $15 but a terrific map and a great souvenir as well, lol.

Enjoy your trip.