I just happened across these today and thought it would be right on topic here, and interesting:  

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 9:14 PM, Southernsupermoto said:

Hey everyone, this is kinda long so bear with me.

I’m 29 and rode dirt back when I was a lot younger (11-13 years old ). Nothing serious, just playing around. I got into street bike for a few years and am finally back in the dirt. I want very badly to race the SECCA series in the south.

I ride every weekend if possible and I am very slow now and it’s super discouraging. I rode with a guy last weekend that said he was C class and he absolutely left me behind . The whole time I was out of breath and nauseous. I lost my father in July of 2018 and gained a good bit of weight after. This is no excuse, but it’s what happened. I have changed my diet tremendously in the past month to lose weight. I’m 6’ 2” and about 255 lbs. long story short I’m fat. I am extremely discouraged with the way I was unable to keep up. I definitely am taking action to lose weight and that includes diet and a lot of cardio.

I am the type of person who is extremely competitive. I want to do well in this series and riding means the world to me. Does anyone have any suggestions for things to do off the bike to improve endurance? Any drills on the bike to improve this and speed? Any diet tips for racing specifically?

Sorry for the long post and if this seems super sappy. I love riding and want to do well. Any help is appreciated!

Our condolences on the loss of your dad - never easy to endure!  Here are three keys to dropping body fat in a healthy and sustainable manner:

1. Make sure you get 8 hours of sleep.  When you sleep your body produces hGH (human growth hormone) which make you leaner.  If you don't sleep, you don't become leaner.  Keep in mind, your progress and ability to adapt to training only happens during sleep.  Take body measurements every six weeks so that you can "see" how your body is changing (positively or negatively).  If you want a Body Measurement spreadsheet (calipers or tape measure), feel free to email Christy at Contact@CoachRobb.com. 

2. Wear a heart rate monitor and use accurate heart rate zones (I am happy to send you my calculator and spreadsheet - Contact@CoachRobb.com).  The lower the intensity, the more fat you will leverage for energy.  The higher the intensity, the more stored sugar you will use (not your goal right now).

3. Be consistent - 30 minutes a day.  I see too many individuals that go too hard, too early and they end up hurt or burnt out (physically and mentally).  This only slows down the progress more.  Keep in mind that 30 minutes of walking is better than nothing.  

Please keep us posted on your progress or if you have a question or need something clarified, leave a comment here!  

Yours in sport and health,

-Coach Robb (CompleteRacingSolutions.com)

• Like 1

Our condolences on the loss of your dad - never easy to endure!  Here are three keys to dropping body fat in a healthy and sustainable manner:
1. Make sure you get 8 hours of sleep.  When you sleep your body produces hGH (human growth hormone) which make you leaner.  If you don't sleep, you don't become leaner.  Keep in mind, your progress and ability to adapt to training only happens during sleep.  Take body measurements every six weeks so that you can "see" how your body is changing (positively or negatively).  If you want a Body Measurement spreadsheet (calipers or tape measure), feel free to email Christy at Contact@CoachRobb.com. 
2. Wear a heart rate monitor and use accurate heart rate zones (I am happy to send you my calculator and spreadsheet - Contact@CoachRobb.com).  The lower the intensity, the more fat you will leverage for energy.  The higher the intensity, the more stored sugar you will use (not your goal right now).
3. Be consistent - 30 minutes a day.  I see too many individuals that go too hard, too early and they end up hurt or burnt out (physically and mentally).  This only slows down the progress more.  Keep in mind that 30 minutes of walking is better than nothing.  
Please keep us posted on your progress or if you have a question or need something clarified, leave a comment here!  

Thank you so much for the help!

I’m not here to push any type of diet. That being said, a combination of Keto and walking resulted in a 60 lb weight loss over a 6 month period for me last summer. I loosened up on the Keto a bit and gained a few lbs back over the winter so I’m working on that. For the record, I have bad knees but I would recommend walking and bicycles while your starting out. If you’re traveling for work you can walk just about anywhere. Keeping the heart rate up as Coach Rob suggests would benefit your riding greatly.  

I just got got back from a 9 mile walk, Helps to be retired. Oh don’t pay any attention to the guy who said diet is unimportant.  Geez.........

• Like 1

I’m not here to push any type of diet. That being said, a combination of Keto and walking resulted in a 60 lb weight loss over a 6 month period for me last summer. I loosened up on the Keto a bit and gained a few lbs back over the winter so I’m working on that. For the record, I have bad knees but I would recommend walking and bicycles while your starting out. If you’re traveling for work you can walk just about anywhere. Keeping the heart rate up as Coach Rob suggests would benefit your riding greatly.  

I just got got back from a 9 mile walk, Helps to be retired. Oh don’t pay any attention to the guy who said diet is unimportant.  Geez.........

Thanks! I just got my indoor cycling setup finished so I’ll be able to start doing some spin stuff on the roller. I plan to ride outside also, but I need to stretch the cables on the bike. It’s not shifting properly on hills

Thanks! Quick update, down 6lbs. Have been doing indoor cycling and walking as much as possible. Getting faster every time I go ride. I’m finally able to get some decent speed on the trails and ride 30-40 minutes at speed without stopping. Over all endurance is way better than it was. I still have a long way to go
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 7:12 AM, Coach Robb said:

My experience is that 1 & 3 are where most folks struggle. For me personally, quality sleep is by far the most important.

• Like 1

Theres a new discount code for POLAR products. Hope some of you guys can use it. And thanks to @CoachRobb for the great advice.

The code is: MOTOX

Its for 20% off.

Cheers.

• Like 1