I compete in the SECCA series as well. It’s really tough to get in “race shape”. For me i think it has something to do with Adrenalinkeeping your heart rate jacked way up...
just come on out to our next race and run the beginner class. I guarantee you’ll have a blast and you’ll get to see where you stack up. The next event will possibly be a 2 moto format so you’ll get a break in between races...

That would be awesome! Is it too late to register?

That would be awesome! Is it too late to register?

No it’s not too late you can sign up at the event in the morning before the race. Once there you will sign the waiver etc and buy a transponder to be scored with...
www.seccaracing.com
Also Check out a fellow racers YouTube channel Called “Dirtbiking with Donnie and Chase” he’s got some good videos and has one on what to expect for a first time racer
  • Like 1

No it’s not too late you can sign up at the event in the morning before the race. Once there you will sign the waiver etc and buy a transponder to be scored with...
www.seccaracing.com
Also Check out a fellow racers YouTube channel Called “Dirtbiking with Donnie and Chase” he’s got some good videos and has one on what to expect for a first time racer

Thank you!

Posted (edited)

Everyone's body is different.  My wife likes to run first thing in the morning, 5:30am.  For me it's 100% easier to run in the evening and my times are much faster in the evening.  Also I don't understand fasting.  There's no way you're going to get through a workout with full intensity if you're low on calories.  Above all, keep it fun so that you keep doing it.  Think lifestyle.. 

Edit --> I will say that running at night does sometimes make it difficult to sleep.  Half because I sweat for an hour or two after I run, and half because it just makes you energetic and wakes your brain up.  

Edited by sirthumpalot
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 9:14 PM, Southernsupermoto said:

Hey everyone, this is kinda long so bear with me.

I’m 29 and rode dirt back when I was a lot younger (11-13 years old ). Nothing serious, just playing around. I got into street bike for a few years and am finally back in the dirt. I want very badly to race the SECCA series in the south.

I ride every weekend if possible and I am very slow now and it’s super discouraging. I rode with a guy last weekend that said he was C class and he absolutely left me behind . The whole time I was out of breath and nauseous. I lost my father in July of 2018 and gained a good bit of weight after. This is no excuse, but it’s what happened. I have changed my diet tremendously in the past month to lose weight. I’m 6’ 2” and about 255 lbs. long story short I’m fat. I am extremely discouraged with the way I was unable to keep up. I definitely am taking action to lose weight and that includes diet and a lot of cardio.

I am the type of person who is extremely competitive. I want to do well in this series and riding means the world to me. Does anyone have any suggestions for things to do off the bike to improve endurance? Any drills on the bike to improve this and speed? Any diet tips for racing specifically?

Sorry for the long post and if this seems super sappy. I love riding and want to do well. Any help is appreciated!

Dude you dont need to change shit but actually getting off the couch more. Diet amounts to squat because iv got the worst diet on earth and live on a constant intake of granola bars little debies ramen noodles poptarts and milk potato chips mostly kettle cooked jalapenos, duck egg sammages peanut butter sammages and really just anything I can slap together quick fast and in a hurry. I'm 43 6ft 190 to 200 depending on if iv took a shit that day or not and when I got my 400 it snatched me around so bad that a 30 minute ride like to killed me. But, after about 3 months of riding that beast and actually getting off the couch more, doing pushups like crazy and just riding more, I can ride all day and it doesn't hurt me a bit anymore and the only thing I changed was just doing more stressful shit to my body as in a little cardio, walking instead of driving to the store down the street and pushups. Running would help tons I'll admit but piss on that, that's to much like work and I do enuf of that as it is on the farm I work at. Anywho, eat whatever you want, just do more stressful shit and ride ride ride, theres no substitute for actually getting out there and just riding letting that in and of itself work the hell out of you. Oh and a few bananas does help with arm pump before a ride once you start getting faster and shes really trying to get away from you and having to hold on harder.  

• Like 2

On 5/31/2019 at 11:53 AM, Yammyhammer said:

Dude you dont need to change shit but actually getting off the couch more. Diet amounts to squat because iv got the worst diet on earth and live on a constant intake of granola bars little debies ramen noodles poptarts and milk potato chips mostly kettle cooked jalapenos, duck egg sammages peanut butter sammages and really just anything I can slap together quick fast and in a hurry. I'm 43 6ft 190 to 200 depending on if iv took a shit that day or not and when I got my 400 it snatched me around so bad that a 30 minute ride like to killed me. But, after about 3 months of riding that beast and actually getting off the couch more, doing pushups like crazy and just riding more, I can ride all day and it doesn't hurt me a bit anymore and the only thing I changed was just doing more stressful shit to my body as in a little cardio, walking instead of driving to the store down the street and pushups. Running would help tons I'll admit but piss on that, that's to much like work and I do enuf of that as it is on the farm I work at. Anywho, eat whatever you want, just do more stressful shit and ride ride ride, theres no substitute for actually getting out there and just riding letting that in and of itself work the hell out of you. Oh and a few bananas does help with arm pump before a ride once you start getting faster and shes really trying to get away from you and having to hold on harder.  

Diet is EVERYTHING... just because you choose to eat anything doesn't mean you are actually healthy, or running as optimal as possible. Maybe imagine that you started eating properly, how good you could actually be... 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

Diet is EVERYTHING... just because you choose to eat anything doesn't mean you are actually healthy, or running as optimal as possible. Maybe imagine that you started eating properly, how good you could actually be... 

That may be so or maybe not. Having said that, I'll stick with my way. Worst case scenario, I die a little younger but I'll still be one good looking fellow in my casket and have been happy doing it. I'll never be a pro and am under no illusion that I'm not at the top of my game as is if I ate "right" or not. I'm as good as I'm ever going to get either way and I'm ok with that. Being 43 and built like a brick shithouse without doing anything special and eating what ole ever i want is fine by me. Hell, if all I did was stopped pounding beer I'd have a 6 pack that didn't say Heineken on it. ?

26 minutes ago, Yammyhammer said:

That may be so or maybe not. Having said that, I'll stick with my way. Worst case scenario, I die a little younger but I'll still be one good looking fellow in my casket and have been happy doing it. I'll never be a pro and am under no illusion that I'm not at the top of my game as is if I ate "right" or not. I'm as good as I'm ever going to get either way and I'm ok with that. Being 43 and built like a brick shithouse without doing anything special and eating what ole ever i want is fine by me. Hell, if all I did was stopped pounding beer I'd have a 6 pack that didn't say Heineken on it. ?

Alright 

Alright Southern! First, Welcome back to dirt bro! Ok, in going to agree with the Hans, ride man. If you got it, find a "secret spot", ride atleast once a week, Alone or pick a "main" riding partner. Mix it up from time to time as well. Do some rain riding, do some night woods too. Once a week atleast, it's not a "fun" ride, its training. Work out/lift 2 to 3 days a week, circuit train only, 40 mins. Remember to take a solid week off, no weights no riding dirtbikes, every 8th/10th week. So your 255lbs..what's your BFM? If your athletic[ yes some fat guys are athletic, think Kevin James, Chris Farley, 3/4 of NFL line men]  or once was, Losing "lbs" is overrated. Losing percentage off your BFM is where its at. The lower that percentage gets, the leaner you become, the more endurance you will gain. Also your resting calorie rate will climb. I seen "running" had been the answer to cardio obviously. Me personally, shadow/mirror boxing, big bag for cardio. The boxing training applys more to our sport than running. Endurance, focus, balance, rhythm, strength, and quickness. Training gloves and weighted vest, 1 warm up/2 rounds after my lift circuit. DIET! Eat BREAKFAST 1st. Clean protein bro, grilled chicken, turkey, fish, well done beef. Sweet potatoes, spinach, broccoli etc..for sides. 1 GALLON of water a day. No sweets, no regular soda, no "eating" a few hours before bed. Me, I pick one day a week. I call it "binge" day, I eat and drink whatever and however I want. As mentioned before, diets are a crock. Yeah it works now, but not forever. But you can eat healthier/moderation for a life time once you get used to it. Sorry for the run on, but figured I'd put my 2 cents out there, hope it helps and good luck! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SparkinPegs said:

Alright Southern! First, Welcome back to dirt bro! Ok, in going to agree with the Hans, ride man. If you got it, find a "secret spot", ride atleast once a week, Alone or pick a "main" riding partner. Mix it up from time to time as well. Do some rain riding, do some night woods too. Once a week atleast, it's not a "fun" ride, its training. Work out/lift 2 to 3 days a week, circuit train only, 40 mins. Remember to take a solid week off, no weights no riding dirtbikes, every 8th/10th week. So your 255lbs..what's your BFM? If your athletic[ yes some fat guys are athletic, think Kevin James, Chris Farley, 3/4 of NFL line men]  or once was, Losing "lbs" is overrated. Losing percentage off your BFM is where its at. The lower that percentage gets, the leaner you become, the more endurance you will gain. Also your resting calorie rate will climb. I seen "running" had been the answer to cardio obviously. Me personally, shadow/mirror boxing, big bag for cardio. The boxing training applys more to our sport than running. Endurance, focus, balance, rhythm, strength, and quickness. Training gloves and weighted vest, 1 warm up/2 rounds after my lift circuit. DIET! Eat BREAKFAST 1st. Clean protein bro, grilled chicken, turkey, fish, well done beef. Sweet potatoes, spinach, broccoli etc..for sides. 1 GALLON of water a day. No sweets, no regular soda, no "eating" a few hours before bed. Me, I pick one day a week. I call it "binge" day, I eat and drink whatever and however I want. As mentioned before, diets are a crock. Yeah it works now, but not forever. But you can eat healthier/moderation for a life time once you get used to it. Sorry for the run on, but figured I'd put my 2 cents out there, hope it helps and good luck! 

That just sounds like a lot of work lol. It would definitely be easier to smoke meth for about 2 months, and with the ultra stem fast program you're guaranteed to lose weight fast!!! ?

2 hours ago, SparkinPegs said:

Also your resting calorie rate will climb

Cardio/endurance specific workouts do little to nothing for increasing your RMR. Building muscle will though. 

• Like 1

This is solid stuff man! Thank you so much for the help. I’m down to 249 now but it may be all water weight gone. I plan to start cycling again Monday next week after I get my bicycle fix. There is no where around here to do the boxing thing, but I have through about getting a bag for the garage.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hans Schmid said:

Cardio/endurance specific workouts do little to nothing for increasing your RMR. Building muscle will though. 

Text book correct brohammer, but there is more to it than that. Cardio is NOT the same as endurance training either. Example, cardio could be running, cycling, zumba, aerobics. Heart rate stuff. Endurance, think anything crossfit/military, burpies, burn outs, 20+ reps etc, heart rate and muscle burn. Endurance training, will increase your Resting Metabolic Rate, no matter who the hell you are, as long as you feed your body according. I agree a striaght cardio workout, RMR may not change, or worse it could drop. It's a person to person basis. If you got a man, say 150lbs, 18% BFM, and all he does is run, lol, no his RMR wont change. Take a man, 250lbs, 33% BFM, now he runs and ONLY does cardio, you can bet his RMR wise rise, like I mentioned, as BFM % goes down from higher than heathly level, RMR will go up. Simple terms, yes muscle growth is key, however cardio CAN increase RMR. Do you even lift bro? J/K..

How often can you ride? At your current ability it seems time on the bike will increase both your skill and fitness. Putting some serious time on the bike will really help and will be fun. You are young and your body should respond well and can take the abuse of a lot of riding.  Eating better surely is a good idea. Cross training can really help but you use a lot of different muscles on a bike and I think you would need a serious program to replicate riding. Years ago before fitness was understood well many a rider "rode" themselves into shape.

• Like 1

How often can you ride? At your current ability it seems time on the bike will increase both your skill and fitness. Putting some serious time on the bike will really help and will be fun. You are young and your body should respond well and can take the abuse of a lot of riding.  Eating better surely is a good idea. Cross training can really help but you use a lot of different muscles on a bike and I think you would need a serious program to replicate riding. Years ago before fitness was understood well many a rider "rode" themselves into shape.

Due to travel for work I only get to ride about once or twice a week. There is a trail near my house but it’s a power line and I’m not sure if it’s legal to ride. Also the cops post up near it often

One of the biggest keys to losing weight is burning more calories than you intake. This is called ketosis. Fasted cardio on nothing but water as soon as you wake up every morning is the best way to through your body into ketosis each day. After that just make your your eating less than your exercising and the weight will come off. As far as the bike goes try and work on strengthening your core, stomach and back area!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tbob5160 said:

One of the biggest keys to losing weight is burning more calories than you intake. This is called ketosis. Fasted cardio on nothing but water as soon as you wake up every morning is the best way to through your body into ketosis each day. After that just make your your eating less than your exercising and the weight will come off. As far as the bike goes try and work on strengthening your core, stomach and back area!

Interesting and very basic! If you do this and want to gain some muscle at the same time any other simple suggestions?

10 minutes ago, celler said:

Interesting and very basic! If you do this and want to gain some muscle at the same time any other simple suggestions?

Near impossible to be in a calorie deficit and build muscle. I would not recommend a Keto based diet at this point.

Want a good workout? Go ride with a saw on your back and go clear trail. You'll build muscle, get ride time, improve your cardio, and lose weight... 

Small update, went and rode the track and trails with a buddy who is way more experienced than me. Helped me out a ton on jumping. 29 years old and rolling the big jumps, felt like a total loser, but I guess you gotta start somewhere. Did well on the trails and was able to do the two 20 min moto practice and still have energy to ride for fun after. Wasn’t sore the next day and over all felt pretty good. Staying hydrated was a huge deal as it was really hot and made sure to eat a protein heavy breakfast. Hope y’all don’t mind the update. Kinda trying to keep myself accountable

13 hours ago, Hans Schmid said:

Want a good workout? Go ride with a saw on your back and go clear trail. You'll build muscle, get ride time, improve your cardio, and lose weight... 

Done that for 25 years. Not a newcomer to  trail work.