Sprocket Question

Hey mah doods I got a 51T rear sprocket for my bike and I currently have a 49T the first rider put on it. Am I going to need a new chain or add a link or something if I bump up to the bigger sprocket or can I just adjust the chain tension to make up for it?

Will all depend on how much room there is on the adjuster. Might be enough, might not. If you ask this question in the bike specific forums and also share what front sprocket is being used, someone may have already been down this road and have an answer. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Samsquantch said:

Hey mah doods I got a 51T rear sprocket for my bike and I currently have a 49T the first rider put on it. Am I going to need a new chain or add a link or something if I bump up to the bigger sprocket or can I just adjust the chain tension to make up for it?

Ya IMO 2 links/teeth would be a lot of adjustment and I'm pretty sure you will need a new chain and make sure you cut it down to length correctly.

I would also look at the front sprocket and if it is worn, I would replace it at the same time as the chain/rear but that's just me.

Looks like the 49 is stock on the 17 RMZ 250 and as posted might want to check in that forum.

Otherwise I assume you are putting on the 51 for more trail riding and where roughly to you ride/live in BC?

Good Luck

• Like 2

2 hours ago, filterx said:

Ya IMO 2 links/teeth would be a lot of adjustment and I'm pretty sure you will need a new chain and make sure you cut it down to length correctly.

I would also look at the front sprocket and if it is worn, I would replace it at the same time as the chain/rear but that's just me.

Looks like the 49 is stock on the 17 RMZ 250 and as posted might want to check in that forum.

Otherwise I assume you are putting on the 51 for more trail riding and where roughly to you ride/live in BC?

Good Luck

The front sprocket is good, and from what I can see on the 18 rmz 250 on my showroom they have a 50 but that could have been a mid model change. I'm going to that sprocket simply because it's what every build I have looked up does. Regardless of other mods, everyone puts a 51T on. But you guys figure I'll need a chain too? Thank guys! I'll see what my mechanic says he might have a good answer. Thanks for the help! 

Also I'm going to be racing this bike on track, but I am a tall heavy rider at 200lbs and 6'5"

• Like 1

Ya and I saw your other post in Canada and looks like you live in PG?

If you've got a good local shop so hopefully they point you in the right direction :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filterx said:

Ya and I saw your other post in Canada and looks like you live in PG?

If you've got a good local shop so hopefully they point you in the right direction :)

I do live in pg! And well, I am the local shop ? I am actually the Suzuki salesman for my area, I actually like using sites like this for my info. You find out quick that the factory unfortunately doesn't always have a solution. But thanks again man I really appreciate it. My mechanic Chris may know but I won't be able to ask till Monday. You guys have been great thanks a ton! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, filterx said:

LOL and if you ever make it down to Squamish/Lower Mainland shoot me a PM :)

Hell yeah brother I'll be down at some point this summer and we can go rippin n dippin! 

• Like 1

I figured I should update this, Sprocket fit awesome no need for a chain. Also this is THE sprocket size for an RMZ 250. Wow it picks up in the mid way better! 51T all day! Also the second picture is my good friend Aidan who is also my MX coach, he is seriously fast and he approves!

20190602_112559_HDR.jpg

20190602_151958.jpg

Wow that looks like a nice MX track layout with many elevation changes.

On 6/3/2019 at 6:31 PM, mlatour said:

Wow that looks like a nice MX track layout with many elevation changes.

Yeah it's a super fun track! Definitely a track that rewards fast, precise riding. It's been a little hard packed as of late since we have had little to no rain lately which makes you feel like a deer on ice right now, but they are bringing in some dirt and a water truck or three for the Rockstar tour! Should be awesome after that! Also that big jump in the top left of the picture above Aidan is actually affectionately named "The Elevator"! If you ever find yourself out west with your bike let me know, I'm a track member and safety officer and I can get you in for the day free! I'm always up for a good MX session!

• Like 1