1989 cr250r rear suspension

Looking for help. My 89' CR250R suspension isn't tight enough. No luck finding a manual been riding it for a year now and bottoming out the rear when racing. I hope someone could advise how I could do an adjustment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rob Ferrier said:

Looking for help. My 89' CR250R suspension isn't tight enough. No luck finding a manual been riding it for a year now and bottoming out the rear when racing. I hope someone could advise how I could do an adjustment.

Funny thing you should post this. I just went on fleabay and bought a nice used shock, my was totally cashed! Put your puppy on a bike stand, grab the rear wheel and move it up and down and left and right, chances are you have worn parts in your pro-linkage system, You may have to remove replace worn linkage bolts, bushings and needle bearings, I bet the prievious owner never greased it on schedule. now for the settings, compression and rebound should be set at 11 clicks out from full in. Forks should be at 11 clicks out. both are a good starting point. Here is a picture of my scooter...Good luck fellow red rider, the dude...WIN_20151207_12_26_52_Pro.jpg.bb1faf9a3d44ccb7740731feb1d9c277.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cr-dude3 said:

Funny thing you should post this. I just went on fleabay and bought a nice used shock, my was totally cashed! Put your puppy on a bike stand, grab the rear wheel and move it up and down and left and right, chances are you have worn parts in your pro-linkage system, You may have to remove replace worn linkage bolts, bushings and needle bearings, I bet the prievious owner never greased it on schedule. now for the settings, compression and rebound should be set at 11 clicks out from full in. Forks should be at 11 clicks out. both are a good starting point. Here is a picture of my scooter...Good luck fellow red rider, the dude...WIN_20151207_12_26_52_Pro.jpg.bb1faf9a3d44ccb7740731feb1d9c277.jpg

I will have to give that a shot and take a good look over it. Thank you for the advice. Looks great btw. Go red!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rob Ferrier said:

I will have to give that a shot and take a good look over it. Thank you for the advice. Looks great btw. Go red!

Thanks brother! Ill keep my peepers open to your progress....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rob Ferrier said:

You can download a free pdf of a genuine Honda Service manual....or get one off of eBay.

It could be that the damper seal in your shock has leaked if you are bottoming on jumps when your compression setting is max and your sag is correct.

Any local suspension shop can rebuild it...and your linkage needs to be greased so it isnt destroyed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SlowDinoDog said:

You can download a free pdf of a genuine Honda Service manual....or get one off of eBay.

It could be that the damper seal in your shock has leaked if you are bottoming on jumps when your compression setting is max and your sag is correct.

Any local suspension shop can rebuild it...and your linkage needs to be greased so it isnt destroyed.

I have tried to find a pdf. File free but haven't had much luck unfortunately I may have to get it on Ebay as I'll be doing the kicker in the winter. I will check out the seals thanks for the advice. 

• Like 1

Might need to rebuild your shock and use a stiffer spring for your weight. Be sure to weigh yourself with all of your riding gear on for an actual reading. Grease the linkage and swingarm also, replace bearings and seals if needed. Also check the upper shock bushing, they would wear out often. I had a new 1988 CR250 back in the day that I raced and that was very common. I still have the 1988 CR-250 owners/service manual if you are interested, I would consider selling it. Only major difference between the 1988 and 1989 Honda CR-250 models is the 1989 was the first year for the upside down forks. PM me if you are interested in the 1988 manual.

Edited by gspartsguy
typos