Cheap 17 inch Wheels from Ebay?

Hey just wondering about some of the ebay sumo wheels out there.

I just bought a FE350 and need some wheels to practice on track and to do me on the road as I'm getting ready to join Norasport Supermoto Championship next year.

I currently rent a CRF450 with SM Pros on the track and my mechanic is trying to sell me on SM Pros but I just don't have the money for them and probably won't until winter.

I've been looking at some of the ebay kits that go for like 450-500 quid which is way more doable for me than 800-900quid from the big brands like SM, Alpina, Warp etc.

Only problem is, and this is my question, would the KTM kits fit my Husky? I know that they share a lot of parts/similarities but there's no specific listings for Husqvarna compatibility.

If anyone here would just recommend saving up for the big brands then I will. Just generally looking for advice at this point.

As a side question, if anybody has any tips/advice for converting to sumo I'd much appriciate it. I'm trying to do as much research as I can but there's always room for more knowledge. :D

Thank you!

There's a supermoto subforum for some more detail.
https://thumpertalk.com/forums/forum/27-supermoto/

Personally I wouldn't go any cheaper than Warp9, especially for track. 
KTM and Husky wheels have remained similar for quite a few years now. To make it easy, if you find KTM wheels of your bike's year, they will fit your Husky. I'd go 4.25" rear rim for chain clearance reasons.

• Helpful 1

On 6/7/2019 at 5:05 PM, HansLanda said:

There's a supermoto subforum for some more detail.
https://thumpertalk.com/forums/forum/27-supermoto/

Personally I wouldn't go any cheaper than Warp9, especially for track. 
KTM and Husky wheels have remained similar for quite a few years now. To make it easy, if you find KTM wheels of your bike's year, they will fit your Husky. I'd go 4.25" rear rim for chain clearance reasons.

Thank you so much for the response. At my track here in Scotland (Crail Raceway) every other person seems to either have Alpinas or SM Pros. And since SM is based in the UK I think I'll just go to them as I'm sure they can offer me support incase something happens to my wheels. They have a pretty good rep with the guys I talk with so I'll take the plunge. I'll get more infos tomorrow as I'm going up for another track day. Thank you so much!

• Like 1

Hey, if money is an object, then befriend folks at the track and ask if they have anything used you can buy. I have so much gear at my house... if some kid asked me for any leftovers I'd fill up his arms with stuff. I just don't have anyone that I think would appreciate it that comes to mind, or worse yet, worry someone would complain about what I'd give them for free. 

My mechanic always scours ebay and other type used gear forums, and he's scored me some used, like new OEM wheel sets for cheap. I paid only $500 for a front and rear ktm set like new that had brakes and gears. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2019 at 11:52 PM, TigerTanker said:

Hey, if money is an object, then befriend folks at the track and ask if they have anything used you can buy. I have so much gear at my house... if some kid asked me for any leftovers I'd fill up his arms with stuff. I just don't have anyone that I think would appreciate it that comes to mind, or worse yet, worry someone would complain about what I'd give them for free. 

My mechanic always scours ebay and other type used gear forums, and he's scored me some used, like new OEM wheel sets for cheap. I paid only $500 for a front and rear ktm set like new that had brakes and gears. 

Apologies for the late reply. Between the time I posted this and now I have done exactly what you said and got myself 2 sets of SMPros for 220pounds. They're pretty banged up and one front wheel has a crack but a little bead weld should fix it. I got them from the dad of Jamie Duncan who runs the front row in British Supermoto and my mechanic instantly heard the news and said he can fix up that wheel for me.

I'll be picking up the wheels this month so I'm super excited.

Thank you for the advice!

(Oh and also the wheels come with Beringer discs. So pretty nice stuff. I just need to buy an adapter for my stock caliper so I'll need to ask around which type of adapter will work. Because there are a lot of adapter out there, some universal some specific and I don't wanna blow 80quid on an adapter that doesn't fit)

• Like 1