New boot goofin

So guys I’m in the market for some boots I’m pretty dead set on alpinestars I tried on a pair of tech 7s today and they felt pretty comfy im also looking at the tech 10s. Is the tech 10s worth the extra money over the tech 7s? I want something that’s comfortable and that will last. Also is there a online store that I should buy from to get the best price?

• Like 1

I cant answer if the 10s are worth the money over the 7s but I have the 7 enduros and they're amazing boots.  Ridiculously comfortable.  I couldn't recommend them more.

BTW thread title made me laugh.  Just new boot goofin.

Edited by PTECH
  • Like 1

They are both great boots.  You have a store that you can try them on?  I would personally buy from the local store instead of saving a few bucks online.  

Its nice having local stores to be able to try on stuff to see how it fits.  Especially products like boots and helmets.  Why then go online after being at the store, if we all start doing this pretty soon we won’t have any places to try on and will constantly be sending stuff back and forth to online retailers.  

• Like 3

They are both great boots.  You have a store that you can try them on?  I would personally buy from the local store instead of saving a few bucks online.  
Its nice having local stores to be able to try on stuff to see how it fits.  Especially products like boots and helmets.  Why then go online after being at the store, if we all start doing this pretty soon we won’t have any places to try on and will constantly be sending stuff back and forth to online retailers.  

My local store is cycle gear and it’s a huge company. They didn’t have the tech 10s and in the tech 7s they didn’t have my size (13) it would have been ordered in anyways. But I agree it’s better to keep local shops alive. I still bought a set of new grips today for my Yfz from them.

Seems any shop i go to won't have my size or only carries lower end basic boots or youth boots. Maybe only one brand of higher end boots. It's a nice luxury to have several variety of high quality boots in different sizes to try on comparatively. Helmets on the other hand are stocked pretty well at dealers and i usually buy there.

Seems any shop i go to won't have my size or only carries lower end basic boots or youth boots. Maybe only one brand of higher end boots. It's a nice luxury to have several variety of high quality boots in different sizes to try on comparatively. Helmets on the other hand are stocked pretty well at dealers and i usually buy there.

The shop here is pretty slim to non. I’m in Tampa Florida and it’s geared more towards street bikes. They had about 8 different boots to choose from the tech 7s being the best. I know the off-road gear is not a huge demand here so I understand. They have another location about the same distance from me I’m gonna check it out and see if they got anything different

I had tech 7's for years, they worked but were never great. Finally bought some Sidi crossfire 2 TA's, and they are 2x as comfortable as the Alpinestars. They support so well, I feel better after a day in them compared to tennis shoes. The hinged ankle is awesome out of the box, and 10 hours later, I can shift and brake without stomping my whole foot down.

Of course, this will be subjective, so anywhere you can find a pair to try on, I would definitely do so. The TA's also run about a half size larger than the SRS's. I wear a size 13 in 99% of shoe brands, the SRS only went to 13, and was too tight, for reference.

Just my humble opinion.

Edited by plkracer

You might check out Forma adventure riding boots. I tried some on at Cycle Gear and they were extremely easy to get on and very comfortable. There is a flex joint at the ball of your foot so the boot bends like walking in a shoe but you still get the support and protection. 

I’m a huge fan of the Tech 7. About to buy a second pair. Straight out of the box, for me, they were very comfortable. Did take a good bit of time to break them in. I’d say one day at the track and some walking around. But still a comfy boot. Haven’t had any issues with the soles either that others have mentioned in reviews.
I’ve never tried the Tech 10, so no help there

1 hour ago, SLXL70 said:

You might check out Forma adventure riding boots. I tried some on at Cycle Gear and they were extremely easy to get on and very comfortable. There is a flex joint at the ball of your foot so the boot bends like walking in a shoe but you still get the support and protection. 

I love my Forma adventure boots, but I don't think that they have the same level of protection as MX boots. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TigerTanker said:

If you are looking for boots, go to Holland or Germany. Free shipping, much cheaper, and no customs. 

www.chromeburner.com

Bought at least 3 pairs of sidi from them. About 10 days of delivery time. 

+1, bought some from the UK, 2 days to my door on the west coast, saved $150.

• Like 1

I just picked up a pair of sg12 (switching from forma Enduro boots)... Both great.  The forma boots are way too comfy, so much that they're not protective enough when you start getting fast.  But, they are waterproof and that's huge for riding in the woods.    If your a old guy riding through the woods... Get the forma... You won't find anything more comfortable or waterproof.   If you're a fast guy riding anywhere else... You'll eventually break an ankle.  

Btw. Forma has two different soles.  One for adventure one for motorcross.  Make sure to get the motocross soles or you'll wear through them in a season.  (I made that mistake, but forma was great with giving me a killer deal on the motorcross set up).  Forma really stepped up when I was there one who didn't read all the details.  

• Like 1

I had tech 7's for years, they worked but were never great. Finally bought some Sidi crossfire 2 TA's, and they are 2x as comfortable as the Alpinestars. They support so well, I feel better after a day in them compared to tennis shoes. The hinged ankle is awesome out of the box, and 10 hours later, I can shift and brake without stomping my whole foot down.
Of course, this will be subjective, so anywhere you can find a pair to try on, I would definitely do so. The TA's also run about a half size larger than the SRS's. I wear a size 13 in 99% of shoe brands, the SRS only went to 13, and was too tight, for reference.
Just my humble opinion.

I’m gonna do some research and see if I can find a local sidi dealer. You got me intrigued! And I wear a size 13 as well

35 minutes ago, gezongaz said:

I just picked up a pair of sg12 (switching from forma Enduro boots)... Both great.  The forma boots are way too comfy, so much that they're not protective enough when you start getting fast.  But, they are waterproof and that's huge for riding in the woods.    If your a old guy riding through the woods... Get the forma... You won't find anything more comfortable or waterproof.   If you're a fast guy riding anywhere else... You'll eventually break an ankle.  

Btw. Forma has two different soles.  One for adventure one for motorcross.  Make sure to get the motocross soles or you'll wear through them in a season.  (I made that mistake, but forma was great with giving me a killer deal on the motorcross set up).  Forma really stepped up when I was there one who didn't read all the details.  

I have a pair of sidi adventure goretex that are almost as stout as mx. Normally $600, got for $300 from Holland. BMW motorcycle shops carry them and I tried a pair on there. They also run the same fit to crossfire srs in case someone wants to know fitting. The srs 3 only goes to size 12.5

I have a pair of sidi adventure goretex that are almost as stout as mx. Normally $600, got for $300 from Holland. BMW motorcycle shops carry them and I tried a pair on there. They also run the same fit to crossfire srs in case someone wants to know fitting. The srs 3 only goes to size 12.5

That’s a deal! I really like the srs because of the replaceable sole. I was looking into the crossfire srs 2 they make them in a 13. I normally wear a size 13 tennis shoe. I tried on a pair of alpinestars tech 7s in a size 12 and they fit me well just were a little tight for me in front width but it wasn’t bad (my foot is a little wider) so I might be able to get away with a sidi srs 2 boot

Just now, Madsmokey12 said:

That’s a deal! I really like the srs because of the replaceable sole. I was looking into the crossfire srs 2 they make them in a 13. I normally wear a size 13 tennis shoe. I tried on a pair of alpinestars tech 7s in a size 12 and they fit me well just were a little tight for me in front width but it wasn’t bad (my foot is a little wider) so I might be able to get away with a sidi srs 2 boot

You could yank the insole if needed, which I have done. 

I have had 4-5 pairs of these boots, they last me two years or so. I ride 100 days per year. 

Honestly, I’d skip the enduro sole. The stock sole is plenty good. The tacky enduro sole may have contributed to my ruptured Achilles in Moab. Too sticky.  

• Helpful 1

You could yank the insole if needed, which I have done. 
I have had 4-5 pairs of these boots, they last me two years or so. I ride 100 days per year. 
Honestly, I’d skip the enduro sole. The stock sole is plenty good. The tacky enduro sole may have contributed to my ruptured Achilles in Moab. Too sticky.  

You really got me thinking about the sidi boots. How long does it take to get the boots in from chromeburner? I’m leaving for North Carolina at the end of the month I kinda waited until last minute [emoji22] I really wish I could try a pair on just to make sure they fit

If you are looking for boots, go to Holland or Germany. Free shipping, much cheaper, and no customs. 
www.chromeburner.com
Bought at least 3 pairs of sidi from them. About 10 days of delivery time. 

Well I pulled the trigger on some sidi crossfire srs 2s! I wanted the 3s but they don’t make them in a 48. Bought them from Rocky Mountain they gave me a price match same as chromeburner so I couldn’t resist
  • Like 1