TM Extreme Enduro

Decided to start a new topic since we’re way past the first ride day. 

Sounds like a lot of guys in HI are riding the extreme stuff on TM’s, but our local hard Enduro Last Dog Standing was last weekend. First hard Enduro for Ty on a TM  

For the race we added a fan. To keep it simple I just used an old map switch as an on/off switch and wired it to the battery. Simple and effective. It was a tight squeeze getting the fan in though. Also put on an Extreme Carbon disc guard and pipe guard. The disc guard is a real nice unit. Bolts on easily instead of going thought the axle like other units. Makes things a lot easier. It’s also a lot more sturdy than other units. 

For this race they did a Sprint Enduro on Saturday for starting position on Sunday. While Ty does race some sprint Enduros he really didn’t like it being used as part of Last Dog Standing.  None technical riders could start in front of him and doing 11 special tests the day before in the heat wasn’t ideal. 

After the first 9 special tests Ty was sitting 14th overall. With all the fast guys and around 50 pro riders we where happy with that. The last two tests where more technical for pro riders only. After those two he moved up to 9th overall. That set him up nicely for Last Dog Standing, a lot of those fast guys weren’t racing it, they where just there for the Sprint Enduro. 

So for the first round Ty started 4th. Colton Haaker, Alfredo Gomez and Trystan Hart where the three in front of him. First race went well, Ty finished 4th behind those three and ahead of Max Gerston. Ty also passed Gomez and Hart in some faster sections, but they got back by him. 

Round 2 got a lot harder.  They started the guys in rows of two. Gomez and Haaker on the first row. Ty and Trystan in the 2nd row.  Off the start the TM pulled the KTM down Glen Helen’s long start straight and as they left sight Ty was 3rd. 

As they came back around to do the tire wall Ty was back to about 6th. His chain had come off in some rocks and broken a bunch of spokes. I tried to get him to go back to the pits and change the wheel, but he didn’t want to. He just went up the tire wall and back out. 

I didn’t think the wheel would make it back, but it did. He went slow in the faster sections to keep it together. When he came back around he was all the way back in 10th. Besides the wheel the 100+ degree heat had gotten to him. Light headed,  dizzy and cramping up.  

His 4-10 finishes where good for 6th overall. We where hoping for a top 5, but it didn’t happen. 

The bike was great over the two days though! Other than the spokes nothing broke or came loose. 

Here’s a video of the tire wall. They got one of Ty’s run up it. He is at 15:00. At 35 seconds he had the 2nd fastest time only behind Alfredo Gomez. 

A few other pics from the weekend.

152C4C37-3C86-43F7-814C-917B438AF223.jpeg

823D8A40-957C-471A-BA07-9FF09D8ACB6A.jpeg

BD0B2FCA-AD91-420D-9494-2BDC2C4C5E02.jpeg

286ACEB9-C3C6-4605-90A9-D37ACE87011E.jpeg

1E8459C3-2311-4A54-A17C-DC3079FD0B61.jpeg

69270765-8D14-4348-94BC-5145813B789B.jpeg

Edited by Cullins
  • Like 9
  • Helpful 3

Nope, no TKO. 

With the short Ex season starting the week after we’re just concentrating on that now.  I know a lot of the guys that race EX will be there, but it just doesn’t work for us. 

Plus as much trials as Ty has ridden there he isn’t stoked to ride an Extreme race at TTC?

I bet the top guys including Ty could get up the tire wall on their trials bike without putting a foot down. Does LDS ban trials bikes and tires? I raced an extreme enduro that didn't ban trials bikes on my Montesa 4RT and won by over an hour in the amateur class. I plan to race Battle of the Goats on my Montesa even though they won't score me, from what I understand. Also racing the TKO but they won't let me ride the Montesa on Sunday.  Wonder if I can switch bikes but I know I will be knocked out first race Sunday.

• Helpful 1

Yeah Ty could easily clean that tire section on his trials bike (not put a foot down for those non-trials folks) 

No rules against trials bikes at LDS, however there is a bunch of steep loose hill climbs that would be tough to get a trials bike up. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, ged93 said:

Tm and hard enduro are like two parallel lines , you can get them so close one to the other but they will never touch...

Anyway happy you found good bike 

I’m not sure what that even means. 

Went right over my head?

• Confused 1

Sorry guys , maybe I've been not so clear , my fault ...

Anyway yes , I was just telling that Tm guys manufacture dirtbikes with classic enduro ( gp ) and mx in their minds , they have never considered at all extreme world , and you can feel it simply riding their bikes . Tms are made to ride fast on tracks , that's it . 

They are more old school bikes if compared to others ...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Anyway yes , I was just telling that Tm guys manufacture dirtbikes with classic enduro ( gp ) and mx in their minds , they have never considered at all extreme world , and you can feel it simply riding their bikes . Tms are made to ride fast on tracks , that's it . 

Who are you comparing to primarily that you would say are a lot more hard enduro focussed?

Ok, I get it, and you are partially right.  But I think the latest TM’s are Hard Enduro capable, but TM has not shown an interest or finances to get a top rider to compete in the WESS Series.  I think they are missing the boat a bit though, every out of shape middle aged rider likes to put themselves in the same category as Jarvis, and that is the racing they follow and the bike, or the KTM brother that they tend to buy.  This is a demographic that has the money to buy new bikes BTW.

Chris Cullins can elaborate on TM’s capability since they also have extensive experience with Beta 

• Like 1

Pay a top rider to win a series and all the sudden the bike is capable.. lol.  Local pros beat Beta and KTMs on Yamahas that have basically been the same since 2006.  TM is capable right now.  My money is on Cody Webb and what ever bike he decides to ride.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is my understanding that most riders doing hard enduro want electric start. I believe TM only added E/S to the 2strokes for 2019. These bikes are on my radar, probably the best out there right now.

I believe that is probably true for the older TM’s. Ty rode a 2017 TM when he was on Beta. He said it was fast, but hard hitting and a somewhat narrow powerband. 

The 2019 is nothing like that.  Power is very linear and it works great in the extreme stuff! Plus the e-start this year. 

I can say this, according to Ty the TM is as good or better at extreme riding than any other 300. If this wasn’t the case he wouldn’t be on one.  We have learned it’s better for your results to have a good bike  than a good sponsorship deal. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 10 months later...
On 6/29/2019 at 10:01 AM, ged93 said:

I have a few of my friends riding TM and riding hard enduro. They came from ktm and husky and Beta . TM is great for hard enduro. Really all the brands are with a little guarding and setup.

Here’s what one local TM rider just posted.. a nice custom guard. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAUpsKvh59w2shmSx_wDqwR7RfpNzEWZAC1Cz40/?igshid=1ad8qzjjpo3f2

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAT9Uceh68UpMDxUW4IIsn_C7pX7gRvJF4O5RY0/

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1