Anyone else keep boxes from moto brands?

This is admittedly weird. It may even be the early onset of a hoarding disorder (I'm 29) but whenever I receive a package from a moto company with whom I hold a positive view of, for example Guts Racing, and the shipment I get comes with customized packaging tape on the box with their brand logo.. I have a really hard time breaking down and getting rid of that box!  

It'll stay empty for months, then one day I fill it with tie down straps I've collected, zipties, ect..AKA FIND A USE FOR IT but I am not like this with other things. I don't repurpose breadties to tidy up power cables, or reuse ziplock bags, ect. I don't usually collect boxes but if a bunch come in which they do because I run a business, usually I'll quickly get rid of them via the recycling can, shipping out product, or the dump if need be.

I guess the point of my rant is, if you are a reputable brand with a product people already really enjoy, you may want to invest in some personalized packing tape! Why is it so cool? I think it is the attention to detail that gets me.

Enjoy fathers day weekend yall.

1560481112233271173313212894118.thumb.jpg.7c1f280793a1173303b100541e32a0e8.jpgPeace.

Edited by tyler90
  • Like 1

I’m really bad with keeping boxes from items I have a whole 4x6closet full of boxes. Im gonna get rid of all my Dirtbike boxes Only thing I’ll keep now is like my helmet box and boots box and anything that has cool packaging that don’t take up crazy space. I’m 28 so you’re not alone lol

2 hours ago, tyler90 said:

This is admittedly weird. It may even be the early onset of a hoarding disorder (I'm 29) but whenever I receive a package from a moto company with whom I hold a positive view of, for example Guts Racing, and the shipment I get comes with customized packaging tape on the box with their brand logo.. I have a really hard time breaking down and getting rid of that box!  

It'll stay empty for months, then one day I fill it with tie down straps I've collected, zipties, ect..AKA FIND A USE FOR IT but I am not like this with other things. I don't repurpose breadties to tidy up power cables, or reuse ziplock bags, ect. I don't usually collect boxes but if a bunch come in which they do because I run a business, usually I'll quickly get rid of them via the recycling can, shipping out product, or the dump if need be.

I guess the point of my rant is, if you are a reputable brand with a product people already really enjoy, you may want to invest in some personalized packing tape! Why is it so cool? I think it is the attention to detail that gets me.

1560481112233271173313212894118.thumb.jpg.7c1f280793a1173303b100541e32a0e8.jpgPeace.

Thread of the month. Love the sincerity and originality 

If I don’t use it in two years it is gone. I like to live life as light as possible. 

Except tools. I have tools for everything. 

• Like 3

If the box is big enough the cats get them. 4 males cats playing king of the box is fun to watch. After a day or two they don't care anymore so the box gets recycled. I do keep so boxes. Rekluse clutch box gets saved with any unused parts. 

3 hours ago, tyler90 said:

Thanks, you too.

To answer your question, no I don't hang on to boxes.

4 hours ago, I'm trying said:

Some are pretty cool. I like this one. 

20190116_192553.jpg

HotRods boxes are pretty nice keepers!

I store my VMX 'participation' plaques in them!...until I decide what to do with them.

IMG_6147.JPG

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GreenMT_Rider said:

If the box is big enough the cats get them. 4 males cats playing king of the box is fun to watch. After a day or two they don't care anymore so the box gets recycled. I do keep so boxes. Rekluse clutch box gets saved with any unused parts. 

:applause:  :thumbsup:

Like mentioned above, I save boxes with what parts they replaced.  I have Rekluse boxes with stock clutch parts, KTM/Trail Tech boxes with OEM stators, flywheels, and rec/regs, and boxes from Seat Concepts with stock seats/foam in them.

The only box I have honestly saved for no other reason than the logo on it is the box that my HRC kit parts shipped in for my XR650R.  To me, well, I like looking at the box and know that I was able to get some factory parts that just can't be picked up anymore.  I saved all the wrappers for the parts as well, as they were tagged with the HRC logo as well.

I got some factory KTM rally bike parts for my 505, but they just came in "ordinary" KTM packaging so those boxes went right into the recycling bin.

13 hours ago, Bobatsea said:

If I don’t use it in two years it is gone. I like to live life as light as possible. 

Except tools. I have tools for everything. 

I hear you about the tools.  I just got another tool cabinet a week or so ago.  I now have 7.  Is that like hoarding? :smirk:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Packing the garage to move... yeah, I hear you on boxes.  Not just moto parts, but most parts.

i-wrGRfpp-L.jpg

If I buy some equipment that has a nice box/packaging, i'll hold onto it if I ever have to ship it back (warranty/repair, calibration, whatever).  There's a tote of networking equipment boxes in my living room, probably this weekend i'm taking down router/switch/AP's and packing them up in their original boxes, then in that tote. 

Shipping boxes I'll break down so they sit flat, then shove them in the garage closet.  Nice to have options when I sell sled parts on ebay... or lately, if I need a small box to organize parts/tools/etc as I'm packing them up.

i-KScjhBK-L.jpg

Over a decade in this place... two trucks, three sleds through here (only the one bike... i can't kill it).  It's seen a couple of other bikes, snowbikes, and sleds.  Couple of trailer projects, bunch of comm gear stashed in the corner, household tools/junk (why do I keep old 15A outlets?  They're <$1/ea :banghead: ).

I keep boxes 'till the warranty runs out then seyah. Some get broken down flat and used under jobs where oil will spill, used as templates , mock ups or proof of concept  for projects.

• Like 1

Dang! Don't you guys have wives?

I gotta hide the boxes as soon as I can. Hide the evidence. Can't have her see them. 

Burn them in the wood stove in the winter, shred them and rototill them into the garden in the summer. She CANNOT see that I am having a good time!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

can never have enough boxes! as for wives... whats out in the shed is none of their damn business!

i dont really care for packaging,though i still have the little jelly bean guy that used to be on honda parts satchels.. hell, must be twenty years old!

I'm the gear box saving type dude. Helmets, knee braces and boots. Its usually the high dollar stuff that get's to me! I payed a lot of hard erred cash for those pretty box's. 🤪

• Like 1

Keeping boxes to a manageable level is a big problem for me. Now I break them down and add them to the "too dump" pile right away. i was collecting them in the storage room to the point where I couldn't keep stuff in there and had junk scattered all over the house. Finally hauled off 3 truck loads of boxes and other stuff and got my storage game on point. 

2019-06-02 20.39.59.jpg

• Like 1