Jump to content

The SINGLE most reliable 2 stroke dirt bike ever made?

Recommended Posts

Alright enough bullcrap. I'm gonna buy a two stroke because they are fun. I'm gonna ride it everywhere including the track. Performance aside, what is the single most reliable 2 stroke dirt bike EVER made? Is their any bike that I wont have to put a top end in every year? (Assuming I'm not an idiot who overrevvs it everywhere.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to ride it everywhere...KTM 250xc.  Amazing in the woods, pretty dang good on the track too.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All modern Japanese and Euro motorcycles are reliable for their intended purpose if they're maintained properly.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KDX200/220's have been known to run multiple hundreds of hours on top-ends.  I've seen decades-old units that still had decent compression.

If you are asking which 2-stroke is going to be as long-life reliable as a 90's-era XR250 or XR400, the answer is "none."

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Italian huskies go forever and are the easiest bikes I've ever owned to work on - when you rarely have to do it.

While people are completely rebuilding their YZ125's at 60 hrs, big bore 125 Huskies are getting 200 hrs to a top end

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hit 200 hours on my old 2014 300RRon the original top end. Piston still looked good and engine had good compression when I installed the new top end. 

I have seen KTM 300s go for similar intervals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on how frequently you ride and how well you treat the bike.  Do you ride year round?  How many hours per ride?

Most 250's will go more than a year on a top end with proper maintenance.  Use good oil, clean the air filter properly and you could go two or three years.  If you run them until failure, most of them are good for at least three or four years.  Some go much longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KE100. 25 year production run of proven reliability. Reliable=boring.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our 1978 Yamaha GT80 went for at least 10 years and three kids, ridden nearly every day, and never gave any trouble. I'd say it was pretty bulletproof.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, turbo dan said:

Depends on how frequently you ride and how well you treat the bike.  Do you ride year round?  How many hours per ride?

Most 250's will go more than a year on a top end with proper maintenance.  Use good oil, clean the air filter properly and you could go two or three years.  If you run them until failure, most of them are good for at least three or four years.  Some go much longer.

I live in washington so I can only ride about 8 month out of the year. I ride about 1-2 hours a day on average

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that 1-2 hours a day every day or 1-2 hours on the days you ride?

Trying to estimate hour per year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YZ250 getting pretty bullet proof. So easy to work on any part of it too when rebuild time does come due. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, turbo dan said:

Is that 1-2 hours a day every day or 1-2 hours on the days you ride?

Trying to estimate hour per year.

I ride about 10 hours a week on average. Probably 350 hrs a year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LSHD said:

YZ250 getting pretty bullet proof. So easy to work on any part of it too when rebuild time does come due. 

Nope.

 

 

s1200_20170324_182430.jpg

post-461560-14557084875226.jpg

IMG_20180414_122359059.jpg.8896bf7f87f09cc04e7b6df3c40e80ea.jpg

 

Edited by shrubitup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dingerjunkie said:

KDX200/220's have been known to run multiple hundreds of hours on top-ends.  I've seen decades-old units that still had decent compression.

If you are asking which 2-stroke is going to be as long-life reliable as a 90's-era XR250 or XR400, the answer is "none."

I had a 01 YZ that had wear past the cylinder plating and still hauled ass.

I know of a 78 PE 400 that still being ridden and never has had the head off of it.

There is no answer. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 1.19.54 PM.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My most reliable race bike of all time id have to say was the 03 kx250 . Wasn't the best but was bulletproof for 2 years i raced it hard

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...