The SINGLE most reliable 2 stroke dirt bike ever made?

1 minute ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

1 KTM out of how many were built - congratulations on finding a rare one  :banana:

Actually, I have a half dozen KTMs. Most are early 2000s vintage, 125 to 380 displacement. very happy with them. I ridden most other makes but I liked the simplicity of design and service, the commonality of parts, the power and reliability (which has been my experience anyway). Generally start easily enough when jetted properly, parts are cheap enough if I need them. After 40 years of riding everything, I'm happy.

image.png.5cbb624a8dd7011c1e0d609ad0a7d6b3.png

Mind you, I'm happy with my 30 year old Yamaha too. Maybe the 40 years of riding has finally taught me how to look after a 2 stroke?

I actually got a few thousand kms out of this $125 2 stroke a couple years ago, just to see if I could:

image.png.6ef4e8b3eee5b734d60392dc9ac621a7.png

I could actually put a hundred kms on this bike in an evening in a couple hours and found the reliability wonderful IF you followed the rules. I also built a couple engines for max power and max revs and unsurprisingly broke them. Clean air, enough oil, moderate revs, properly tuned and maintained. 

As someone here once said: :"maybe it's the Indian, not the arrow?"

• Like 5

I've had several KTMs ... 2006 200, 2009 250, 2009 300 ... several friends with 2007 to 2012 250s and 300s ... 150 to 260 hours on original pistons ... no catastrophic failures.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tizio8020 said:

IF you find it, take a Husqvarna WR 360.
In the USA it should be called "WXE".

Been on the look for one of those. 

Older bikes are usually built tougher, and will last longer. However, they usually won't perform nearly as good as newer bikes. If you take good care of most bikes, they'll last quite a while, it just depends on how you ride and how you take care of it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

1 KTM out of how many were built - congratulations on finding a rare one  :banana:

This KTM bashing is just dumb and getting old.  I have an '05 200, and an '07 200, both raced their entire lives. Zero problems, just typical maintenance. Redbull hard enduros are sea of orange for a reason.

I live, ride and race in Washington state. I have a 2018 husky tx300 and 2018 husky te250i. Tx300 has 380+ hrs on it. I have done the top end twice. Both times I waisted my money, the Piston was good as new. I have 2+ seasons of off road racing on the bike.it is either raced or used to practice for racing. I beat the hell out of the bike. Besides the money I waisted on top ends I have replaced one linkage bearing in the rear shock and 10 sets of tires. I am absolutely meticulous about inspecting and replacing worn parts. There was carbon buildup on the power valves the first top end that took some cleaning. I switched the amsoil sabor oil and there was none on the second. I really believe with this setup and the husky/KTM 250/300 you are at the pinnacle of reliability and ridability in Washington state. If I was making the decision it would be the 2020 tx300i. 

• Like 1

Get  YZ250X and learn to do the topend yourself.

What you are hoping for is the proverbial unicorn.

2strokes are all going to need a topend at some point but it is cheap and easy to learn to do yourself.

Generally though the bigger the capacity the longer between rebuilds.

Took me half the time to do the topend on my ktm360 than to just service my 525 and cost about the same?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, pussywagon said:

Been on the look for one of those. 

001.jpg

img_q2ZSY9kfSs.jpg

Husqvarna%20WR%20360.jpg

Edited by Tizio8020
error
  • Like 2

Older bikes are usually built tougher, and will last longer. However, they usually won't perform nearly as good as newer bikes. If you take good care of most bikes, they'll last quite a while, it just depends on how you ride and how you take care of it.

Yay , someone speaks sense
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback guys. With your help and about 20 hours of streight reaserch I have decided on a kdx200. I have my sights on a super clean 94' and if that falls through a 97'.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, jaguar57 said:

Definitely nothing made by Japanese.

I agree. I always thought the European bike owners were bike snobs, but since owning some Euro bikes I see what they mean.

People don't remember the heyday of motocross and the popularization of the Japanese bikes. I was there, and we weren't buying them because they were better. We bought them because they were cheap. And they were.  Most people replaced their Jap bikes after a season. I would get two out of mine but by that time they were all used up.

10 hours ago, Hammy-56 said:

How long is a piece of string?

7 feet ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HevyRotashunz said:
20 hours ago, Nicholas Sibley said:
I ride about 10 hours a week on average. Probably 350 hrs a year.

Then you need to decide to either buy a 4 stroke trail bike or get good at turning wrenches.

Husqvarna WR125 or WR250s were bulletproof if maintained. Next is the street legal KDX 220; now these are really incredible bikes. Over 200 hrs on a top end is normal along with get linear power. I have had CRF150F, CRF150R,  WR250R, XT250, YZ125, CRF150RB and others but the most reliable is the WR250R. If you want a bulletproof dualsport the WRR is crazy! I mean 5,000 to 10,000 mile synthetic oil and filter changes. Air filters and chain maintenance must be checked... But when I saw titanium intake valves with steel exhaust. A 26,600 mile valve check/tune up seemed impossible. This bike has a 10,000 rpm red line, liquid cooled 4 stroke, fully adjustable KYB suspension, 250mm galfler waved rotor, 220mm galfer rear rotor. She has to be modded like mine to really become a beast. A stock WR250R I tried made me go WOW! This thing is a pig stock. But after the Q4, Powerbomb, FMF Programmer tuned. AIS, EXUP flapper mod. Pirelli  Scorpion Pro FIM tires front and rear with extra heavy duty tubes and rim locks.  All weight removed, tool kit, steel bars, 2 up pegs, helmet lock, taillight eliminater. Pro Taper Evo bars and a seat concepts low seat. Now shes a DREAM everywhere I go!

20190317_131112.jpg

• Like 1