WR426 into a YZ426 ?

I got rid of the air filter cover, took out the silencer, and i know i have to get rid of the throttle stop, but what else can I do to make my WR426 more like my brother's YZ426? also, should i completely get rid of the throttle stop or just adjust it?(These are 2001 models). Thanks

Craig,

I would advise cutting the throttle stop. It should only take about 20 minutes. If you want to lighten the bike up:

Order the yz front axle spacer and seal, You'll be able to remove the odometer.

Pull the headlight assembly and order an aftermarket YZ number plate, might as well get the rear fender also.

Pitch the stock bars and buy aftermarket.

Find a stock YZ or buy and aftermarket pipe, Huge weight saving here.

YZ time the bike.

Take the radiator "catch bottle" off.

Bill

------------------

97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Cycra Pro-Bend hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC, Rausch Creek MXC, Tower City Trail Riders.

If you want to go radical, remove the octopus (air cut valve) and rejet to compensate.

BTW, does the 2001 have the octopus?

------------------

'99 WZ with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, forked over by Pro-Action (and then fixed by me), OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat, carb mods by Jim Dean, Andy in OZ, & Sir "Taffy" from Jolly Old England, AMA, NESC.

Bill,

I'll be there. Knee is much stiffer and swollen than my last 'scope surgery (1991). I was bleeding so profusely Thursday night, my wife became worried. I was still bleeding on Friday (and Saturday too). At Re-hab, the girls were quite concerned I would pass out, due to the blood loss. I guess it was a lot.

At re-hab they had to re-dress my knee. "Jenn" had to close the curtain so as to not gross out everybody else. At that time I found out Butterfly bandages were used, NOT STICHES...(?) Did something happen in the medical field between 1996 (ACL Rebuild) and now to not warrant stiches? Anyhoo, the butterflys came off, and out drained 2 pints of blood. Between several beers and percasette (sp?), I am all better now.

I am debating to take my forks apart, STILL, and use my ultra light PJ-1 oil. I had drained 100 ml of oil, each leg, to lighten the dampening! I think on the MX track the forks would have been fine, but NOT for Moab/single track/trail riding.

Have you done the suspension thing yet?

[This message has been edited by NH Kevin (edited 05-27-2001).]

If you wanted a YZ, why not just buy a YZ? You probably paid more for the WR and will pay much more in time and money to make it like a YZ????? I dont get it. If weight is the bigist concerne on a bike that is just 11 lbs heavy on the YZ, Get the YZ aluminum sub frame, and grind off or dirll out every thing you think you can, (Why????????), Next, order some 3K carbon fiber material and epoxy and start making your own parts, maybe the fork tubes,, yes they must weght like 40lbs! then buy every motor hop up you can and dirll out all the exhauxt,, no, just take it off,, and do all the motor and timing changes and then re build your gear box with the YZ gears,, Take the lights and kick stand off and change all vin #s to YZ #s,,, then put stickers on it,, yes many stickers,,

Ok, I am losing it here, the point being, Why do you want to change this bike from WR to YZ? If thats what you want get a YZ?? Thats the beauty of master Yamaha,, they made both so you could pick BEFORE you bought one. ?

Ahhh, Junior member Jason. There's quite an advantage over a YZ when you tweak on the WR.

The gearbox is the largest difference. Please remember our bikes can not only crawl around difficult areas MUCH MUCH better than any YZ can, we can also hit top speed over 9% more than a YZ. So put that in your pipe and smoke it :D. Any off-road racer knows the WR is the better choice. It can also be dual sported easily, which is appealing to many.

It's just about the only bike you can ride on the street, race hare scrambles, MX, GNCC, desert, or whatever

Our 18" rear grabs way better than a 19". The flywheel weight reduces tire spin and keeps you from stalling.

Yes, the WR does need a little time and $$$, but the reward is a bike that can do anything. Even MX--many of us ride MX frequently, and woop the other bikes just like a YZ does. If you, jason ride MX only, then you made a good choice by buying the YZ.

But it isn't going to be as versatile nor easy to ride. The seat/tank is actually a boon-you're forced into replacing it with tanks that hold fuel lower ? and seats with better foam and gripper covers. Nice stuff that makes the stock YZ (and WR) look like crap.

Jason,

Finding a bike for your self has you all stressed out.....CHILL OUT dude ?. Your not going to win any arguement on this one.

It has been discussed over and over. Most agree that it's a personal preference or availability issue. Whether you buy the Z or R. Hell, for that matter some of the guys have even gone to KTM, Honda or Suzuki.

Who cares, let's ride :D

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 05-27-2001).]

Hey guys, I was just unleashing my odd sense of humor here. I am WR all the way, I turned down sevral YZ400s at a good price and one was about 10 minutes away to drive 12 hours to get WR. I agree, its what suites your needs. My main point is in fact just that. If you want a YZ get one. Dont buy a WR and then try to tun it into a YZ. It can be done but why bother? Thats why they made the two bikes. Its just like a thread on this site I read on the XR page where a guy is racing an XR 400 and says it smokes YZ and WR 400s. Yes it can be done, but pound for pound, $ for $ the Yamha is the better race bike so why bother? Of corse people race lawn mowers and I once saw a V8 in a VW bug, and when you ask why the awnser is, "because I could".