Sign in to follow this  

i am a suspension retard.....help!!

ok i weigh in at 250. i adjusted my suspension to what felt right to me but i have no idea if it's right.

i know i should have stiffer springs etc. but i don't.

everyone is talking about "race sag", rebound, dampening, but i don't have the foggiest idea of which clickers do what. the way i have it setup now it seems to be good but i have only ridden it on the street with the new adjustments. i would really like to have the suspension dialed in as closely as stock will allow for the big tt meet next week. guys i really need you help. remember give me instuctions like i'm 4 years old. thanks. :thumbsup:

look at the two big notched rings on top of your shock , peek between the shock resovior and the frame, you need to take a long punch or a large screwdrider and break loos that top ring counter clock wise. Once loose , get you rrear wheel off the ground get a hold of your spring and turn it clock wise atleast 10 turns . with the rear wheel still off the ground measure in MMs between the axle and the rear fender at the same spot, put the bike on the ground sit on it while taking the measurement again , should be 95mm to 100mm, after complete retighten the top ring on the shock. If your bike rear suspension is completey topped out sitting on it's own, you''ll have to take the spring tension back down until you atleast have alittle free sag, Ideal 10 to 25mm.

TT has a suspension tuning CD that, (I don't remember the cost!). May be a good idea for you. I bought one but did'nt gain much from it then gave it to some less knowlegeble guy's and they loved it. It was'nt expensive, give it a try. :thumbsup:

ok so after i adjust my spring to the correct sag then how should i set up the dampening/rebound? is there some way to know when the dampening/rebound are correct? ok so now the front i adjusted them also to where the stiffness seemed ok. what i did was turn the top little clickers on the shock 6 clicks harder and the clickers on the bottom of the shocks the same amount. it seems ok but i don't really have a clue as to what a good suspension feels like. :thumbsup:

ruben, there are not right or wrong setting in suspesnion setup, what feel good for ya may not feel good for ya buddy, even though ya guys weights the same.

riding more is the only way to learn to feel if the setting is suitable for ya.

:thumbsup:

*(((what i did was turn the top little clickers on the shock 6 clicks harder and the clickers on the bottom of the shocks the same amount. it seems ok but i don't really have a clue as to what a good suspension feels like. )))

I'm cringing>G<

Stock rebound is fairly decent on the DRZ, shouldnt reqire more than a click off stock settings. Try these after you get the sag adjusted, so you'll at least be somewhere close.

These are from full in clockwise, count the clicks counter clockwise.

Fork: rebound 16 out, compression 7 out

Shock: rebound 13 out, compression 3 out ,

Highspeed adjuster 1/4 turn clockwise from stock setting

These should be ridable settings for you, at least a good base before finetuning

6 clicks on rebound from stock settings will either cause packing or instabilty, depending on which way you went

An important practice in adj. suspension is only change the clicker one detent at a time, then test and adj, test and adj. Unless you already know how much your suspension reacts to change. Especially rebound dampening can get you in trouble if you change it too drasticly from what you accustom too, packing down or bucking are the two extremes and can land you on your arse if the going gets rough. Unless your street is inpassable by cars potholes, huge woops, and ruts; take it out on the dirt or the feel means :awww:. Cheers :thumbsup:

Good suspenion feels and does things the way you want it to. I makes everything easier and helps you connect to the bike. The feel is for you not anyone else we all ride with our wieght in different places, and carry our bulk or lack there of the same. What has a little guy getting tossed may be perfect for a big guy or vice versa. :thumbsup:

ok well i tried the settings as per spud786 and the rear comes up way to fast and smacks me in the ass when over whoops. help?

slow(stiffen) the rebound on the shock down 2 clicks at a time till it stabilizes.

you will end up less than 10 clicks out.

the drz's actually can use way more rebound damping.

Yeh try slowing the rear rebound as Burned mentioned.

where did you finalize the rider sag, and how much free sag does the bike have sitting on it's own?

where did you finalize the rider sag, and how much free sag does the bike have sitting on it's own?

probably none if hes using the stock spring at 250lbs. :thumbsup: