Hey guys, I really appreciate you taking the time to read this and possibly give me some help. 

I have a 1979 Honda XL185s that I have rebuilt and am to the point of wiring it up. I picked up the bike for $50 and it came with no wiring. I wanted to do custom anyways. 

I am converting to 12v with an antigravity 4cell 12v battery, 12v regulator, along with new oem style CDI, new coil, new pulse generator, ITS ALL NEW and fresh. 

I am not running any lights, all I need is to wire up the ignition and charging system, kickstart only. Problem is my new reg/rec has different colors than oem with no instructions, the coil I have has an extra wire compared to oem, I’m running a simple two wire on/off keyed ignition switch, subtle differences that leave me confused on where to go. 

Long story shortish, here is a list of what I have with color of each wire  

Any help you could give as to where to go with what is much appreciated, I know a few are probably obvious and simple but I’ll list them anyways for full coverage.

Ignition switch (in-line fuse coming off of red wire, going straight to pos on batt)

Black 

Red 

Reg/rec 

2 yellow 

Red 

Black 

CDI 

Blk with female blade connector 

Two green 

Red/blk

Blue/white

Blk/white 

Pulse generator

Blue

Green 

Coil 

Blk/yellow

Green 

Alternator 

Yellow/white 

Yellow 

Pink

Red/black

4E024960-A27D-4D19-8BF9-ADAC6EBBEE62.jpeg

That does make sense. Would you be able to help me identify as to where each wire should be attached on the CDI and coil for ignition? The CDI has 6 wires coming off of it
: 1 Black wire with female blade connector which I believe should go to the coil? Two green wires, 1 red/blk wire, 1 blue/white wire, and 1 black/white wire. I believe the body of the CDI and coil need to be grounded as well on the mounting points?

Then the coil itself has the spark plug wire, and then 1 black/yellow wire and 1 green wire coming off the coil body. 

Below are pictures of the exact CDI and Coil I have. 

Thanks so much!

44 minutes ago, plugeye said:

if you dont plan to have lights, no need for the battery, regulator, rectifier, wiring.

just hook up to the CDI & coil for ignition

image.png

4 hours ago, plugeye said:

sorry, but i'm unfamiliar with your model

can you locate a schematic for it? i could help with that

No problem at all. Below is a schematic for my year and model.

Its a 1979 honda xl185s, this schematic is from 1980 but I'm sure the wiring is the same.

I also would really like to be able to tie in this two wire keyed ignition switch for some added security. 

Thankyou again!

image.png.ca7c6fe10e6bbb39146be700acc9fe0d.png

Edited by DRKBLUSEA

i'd hook up per the diagram:

ignition coil, pickup coil and alternator to the CDI. also frame ground to the CDI Dg wire.

the ignition switch would connect to ground and CDI B/W wire, also the ignition switch needs to be normally closed to operate correctly

Edited by plugeye

11 minutes ago, plugeye said:

i'd hook up per the diagram:

ignition coil, pickup coil and alternator to the CDI. also frame ground to the CDI Dg wire.

the ignition switch would connect to ground and CDI B/W wire, also the ignition switch needs to be normally closed to operate correctly

Awesome! You have been very very helpful! When you say the switch needs to be “normally closed” do you mean off position would be closed, on position would be open? Or visa versa? 

10 minutes ago, DRKBLUSEA said:

Awesome! You have been very very helpful! When you say the switch needs to be “normally closed” do you mean off position would be closed, on position would be open? Or visa versa? 

yes, turn "off"-remove key- the switch is closed (ground connected to CDI B/W) killing the ignition

19 minutes ago, plugeye said:

on my DR350, i use a concealed rocker switch instead. no need to keep up with a key

Right that makes sense. I may go that route as well. I forgot to mention the handlebar mounted two wire kill switch. It looks like I would tie the blk/wht wire from the cdi to the blk/wht on the kill switch and ground the other wire? 

Also to clarify, I have four total wires coming from the alternator but I am only concerned with the red/blk wire connecting to the cdi, the other wires are for lighting and charging? 

Also, there are two green wires off the cdi. One goes to pickup and other goes to ground? Does it matter which one goes to which? 

15 minutes ago, DRKBLUSEA said:

Right that makes sense. I may go that route as well. I forgot to mention the handlebar mounted two wire kill switch. It looks like I would tie the blk/wht wire from the cdi to the blk/wht on the kill switch and ground the other wire? yes

Also to clarify, I have four total wires coming from the alternator but I am only concerned with the red/blk wire connecting to the cdi, the other wires are for lighting and charging? yes

Also, there are two green wires off the cdi. One goes to pickup and other goes to ground?  you would think so, since same color Does it matter which one goes to which? 

i dont think it matters if they are indeed the exact same color

Just now, plugeye said:

i dont think it matters if they are indeed the exact same color

Right that’s what I figured. Should I be concerned with timing at all right now if I am just trying to confirm spark? If I have everything correct will it spark regardless just not at the right time? Or do I need to make sure my timing is correct first? So far I have plugged everything up cdi, pulse generator, and alt as you have described and still no spark coming from the plug. 

17 minutes ago, plugeye said:

how do you set timing? i'd think its non-adjustable

Well that’s what I assumed too. I have all the punch marks lined from engine reassembly on the cam and pulse generator rotor. I just wasn’t sure if there was something I was missing regarding timing.