450 Plastic on 426 COMPLETE WITH PICS

I am almost finished with my "project". I have been accumulating parts for about 3 months for this conversion. Others have done it (DaveJ was the pioneer). I have been down for 6 weeks with a broken collarbone and have had alot of time to "tinker".

I purchased the tank, shrouds, airbox, subframe , seat (SDG), sidepanels and rear fender. There is no way to do the conversion without all of these parts. There are some modifications that have to be done if if they are done properly it looks stock and is serviceable. The good news is that I broke even on my conversion as all of my old stuff has sold either to members here and at ATM or on eBay! ? It helped that I got killer deals on the stuff I bought to do the conversion.

The hardest part is the gas tank mounts. Rather than drill the frame I fabricated two brackets that mount at the stock 426 mounting points then extend down and back to the 450 tank mounts. I positioned them and tack welded the stock mounting bolts, tack welded nuts to the back of the brackets. Mounting and removing the tank is as easy as the stock config. I primed and painted the brackets with PJ1 frame paint and they look factory.

The shrouds have to be modified. The inside brace/reinf (where it mounts against the outer most part of the radiator) must be cut back 3/4 inch so they mount properly to the radiators. I used an air knife and cut a perfectly straight line....looks factory.

The airbox is at the dealer and I get it tomorrow. The subframe will be here next week. That is all I lack to complete the conversion. The subframe has to have some minor modification done. I don't have to worry about the stock rear brake res because I converted to the 450 master cylinder months ago anyway.

I will post pics when it's complete. I want it to looks like a Team Yamaha works bike so I ordered and installed the GYTR Team Yam Graphics. The dealer gave me a great deal on them. Price tag was $79 and they let me have them for $49!!!! And most importantly...it will look like a 450 and have the ergos of the 450...THAT I like!! :awww:Finished Product

• Like 1

Ok I picked up my 450 airbox at the dealer today. I did not order the rubber boot in hopes that the 426 parts would swap over to the new box. THEY DO SWAP PERFECTLY!! I am excited that I don't have to shell out the $$ for the rubber boot and wait for it from Yamaha. The funny thing is the boot is more expensive than the box!

Anyway the new 450 airbox does not have holes for the boot/filter mount so those had to be drilled but it was very easy. The airbox is assembled and I used some silicone sealant around the rubber boot where it mates up to the airbox. I have seen some of these leak so it was the perfect time to "do it up right". BTW the 450 airbox is VERY light compared to the 426 airbox. It is not much heavier than the CF DR D box I had.

Now all I need is the subframe which should be here Wednesday and I will have it finished in about 15 minutes!!!! More pics to follow.

Matt, hopefully these pics will give you the idea (I did not take the bike apart! LOL)

This pic shows the bracket on the left side running down from the stock mounting to the mount on the 450 tank. I used strap metal and cut and trimmed it to fit. You will need to cut a piece and drill it, bolt it to the stock mount then fit the tank and mark the holes for the new mount. Cut the excess off and drill the hole for the new mounting screw. Then I welded a nut to the back of the strap metal for the new mount.

IMAGE005_copy.jpg

This pic is also of the left bracket. This is from the top looking down. Once I had both straps/brackets trimmed, drilled and the new tank fitted (and I knew the brackets were in the right postion) I then tack welded the bracket and bolt at the stock mount to the frame to keep the bracket from moving. After it was all on the bike and welded I painted the brackets. The tank slips right into position and the 450 tank holes line right up with the holes/nut on the bracket.

IMAGE006_copy.jpg

Will the subframe bolt on at the bottom? I read that the 426 frame had to be slightly modified at the top mount for the subframe. Im going to be doing a similar conversion to my 02 426 only using the WR 450 tank instead.

Will the subframe bolt on at the bottom? I read that the 426 frame had to be slightly modified at the top mount for the subframe. Im going to be doing a similar conversion to my 02 426 only using the WR 450 tank instead.

It has to be slightly modified at the top mounting only as the mount on the 426 frame is a bit wider than the 450.

looks good!

Why can you not use the 450 tank, shrouds and seat and the stock 426 subframe? I have a 450 subframe here, just curious if you tried this.

Matt, the reason you have to use the 450 subframe is because the seat from the 426 will not work with the 450 tank...I tried and it did not fit. Therefore you need the 450 seat ....which will not work with the 426 subframe. SOOO then you need the 450 sidepanels, airbox and rear fender because the 426 stuff won't work with the 450 subframe. Believe me I tried it and this is the only way to go to get a bike that looks like a 450 and not a pieced together "rigged" bike.