Worst crash to date what about you guys?

Guys I got into another nasty one today it was a collision personally no broken bones pretty messed up though

Worst? This just happened March 31st of this year. This is the updated info.
I was cresting a hill and, knowing the part of the trail I was on I probably was in 4th gear (I say probably because I don't actually remember the collision at all) and moving, I had a head on with another rider. I was told I was unconscious for over 5 minutes and when I "woke up" I wasn't making sense and even got up and tried walked around for a few seconds. Don't remember much except my friend holding me in her lap and telling me not to move, getting in to a police SUV (remote location), a brief moment in the ambulance, and then parts of my hospital stay. I continued to go in and out over many hours.

The good news is I'm mostly fine now and the other rider suffered no major injuries. I fractured my C1, C7, and T1 vertebrae, bulging disc between C5 and C6, my whole upper back was stiff and sore, I had a deep contusion on my right shoulder, a sore spot on my left knee, pulled right groin, and I jammed my left foot toes. Doc said I would make a full recovery. I just got out of my neck brace Monday and now I have to rebuild my strength and range of motion in my neck.
My bike suffered bent left radiator/cage, destroyed expansion chamber, destroyed left fork guard, bent lower fork pinch bolt, bent handlebars, tweaked forks, and a ripped radiator shroud.

Dude collisions are bad like I said I just got in one today at maybe 30-40 rough

I was speared through my left arm by a tree or a branch that was sticking out into the trail. Ripped me off my bike and left a bitchin’ scar. 
Had to wait twenty minutes or so for my friend to notice I wasn’t behind him and turn around. Had to drag my KLX back up a bank and ride out. Lots of blood too. It was pretty sloppy.

Jeez that must not of felt nice
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bishopbeater561 said:

Wow 109 that is some scary stuff. Good thing you had some good people with you, it makes all the difference. How’s your head now, you had a concussion for sure. Do you get the spins  at all or have you healed ? 

Oh, yeah, I definitely had a concussion. For about three weeks I would get random dizzy spells and nausea, forget where I was at and what I was talking about, and just generally not feel right mentally. Luckily all that has gone away.

10 hours ago, BOAB said:

I'm glad you are going to be OK, scary stuff.

Time for a Bell helmet and a neck brace, either Atlas or Leatt. 

Thanks. I was really lucky. I was wearing a Kali Shiva 2.0 at the time of the accident and I think it did it's very job well considering the impact. However, I wanted something that flows a bit more air or I would buy another one. After a lot of research I have ordered an LS2 Subverter helmet. Still not sold on the neck braces just yet.

40 minutes ago, SS109 said:

Oh, yeah, I definitely had a concussion. For about three weeks I would get random dizzy spells and nausea, forget where I was at and what I was talking about, and just generally not feel right mentally. Luckily all that has gone away.

Thanks. I was really lucky. I was wearing a Kali Shiva 2.0 at the time of the accident and I think it did it's very job well considering the impact. However, I wanted something that flows a bit more air or I would buy another one. After a lot of research I have ordered an LS2 Subverter helmet. Still not sold on the neck braces just yet.

Couldn't have hurt and may have minimized the neck injury.  I've been wearing one for so long I feel naked without it, but when its on I don't even notice it.  If you know someone that has one give it a try for a ride, most neck brace owners are looking for converts anyway. ;)

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 9:11 PM, GaniRider said:

Instead of going limp they always told me to tuck and roll lol. Seriously though glad you're ok. 

Yes, tuck and roll is the right answer. Sadly, when I crash, I usually do the Superman thing with my arms and hands way out front. So I've broken my hand(s) a lot and my wrist(s) four times. Don't Superman, tuck and roll.

Get well soon to the @OP

Edited by pat22043
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BOAB said:

Couldn't have hurt and may have minimized the neck injury.  I've been wearing one for so long I feel naked without it, but when its on I don't even notice it.  If you know someone that has one give it a try for a ride, most neck brace owners are looking for converts anyway. ;)

I broke my neck (C4) in a crash last August. I've been wearing a Leatt neck brace since then. There doesn't seem to be any real science on whether they work, but they aren't uncomfortable, I barely notice it while riding. I do notice it when I get geared up, the neck brace needs to be put on first, before my roost and back protection.

My worst crash was when I was younger had a brand new kx65 I thought I was a bad ass. Pulled it out one day decided to take a rip down the street to show off in front of my friends. I’m banging through gears and absolutely ripping down this paved street. Started to rain so road is wet and I’m wearing no protective gear what so ever just a tee shirt some shorts and flip flops. Well while I’m ripping down this road one of the kids decides to jump out in front of me so I do everything I can to stop this bike and avoid hitting this kid. I ended laying down the bike and getting some nasty road rash. I was told I slid about 100 feet. Bike was fine got back up and rode it home lol I was more worried about the bike then me. Luckily didn’t break anything but it was still a pretty good wreck and I still got the scares from it till this day. Now that I’m older I learned that you gotta respect the bike and always wear the proper gear when riding. And when I’m about to do something stupid I just look down at the one scare I got on my left wrist lol

I rarely crash, mostly because I ride within my abilities. The wife tho. she hangs it out there in style. Middle of Nowhere in Baja she decides to turn one collar bone into 3 separate pieces. Figure 8 brace for 8 days until she had surgery to fix it. Not one tear shed. 

sparkling.jpg.07a592fb5ec99288f7eb1dccab5b60fd.jpg

hardware2.jpg.7181ddf6aabeafd1ce4daf6520196eea.jpg

hardware3.jpg.6602cd83a248b92193bd76441871889e.jpg

• Like 2

As a former Class C flat tracker, (Camel Pro Series nationals) people would ask what it's like to crash on the track.

My reply, "have a friend drive a car on a hard dirt road at about 65 or 75 mph, open the door and step out".

DanO #80BIKES-SCANNER.jpg.2d6eb3f07789768f5d34226ad7b540be.jpg

• Like 1

I rarely crash, mostly because I ride within my abilities. The wife tho. she hangs it out there in style. Middle of Nowhere in Baja she decides to turn one collar bone into 3 separate pieces. Figure 8 brace for 8 days until she had surgery to fix it. Not one tear shed. 

sparkling.jpg.07a592fb5ec99288f7eb1dccab5b60fd.jpg
hardware2.jpg.7181ddf6aabeafd1ce4daf6520196eea.jpg
hardware3.jpg.6602cd83a248b92193bd76441871889e.jpg

She’s a trooper
As a former Class C flat tracker, (Camel Pro Series nationals) people would ask what it's like to crash on the track.
My reply, "have a friend drive a car on a hard dirt road at about 65 or 75 mph, open the door and step out".

This one is really bringing some badass’s out of the woodwork

19 hours ago, brando brap@youtube.com said:

Jeez that must not of felt nice

It actually didn’t hurt as much as you’d think. The cleaning at the urgent care centre was the worst part. I was sent to a hospital to have my elbow scoped after that. 

Got a decent scar out of the deal at least!

31 minutes ago, danosurf said:

I don’t think I have ever witnessed a crash at a flat track event that wasn’t violent. 

Some of the off road crashes listed above mention how fast the rider was going.

Pay more attention to where  you are going.  Don't be trying to watch a bouncing, shaking speedometer.

My Honda '95 XR600R has one but I can't recall ever looking at it off road.

• Like 1

Pay more attention to where  you are going.  Don't be trying to watch a bouncing, shaking speedometer.

Haha the one time I check mine the stump was hidden in the dirt probably packed down from years of trucks driving over them I always look up when I’m riding if you don’t know the setup of the 250r the Speedo is kind of in your face I don’t think anything I did would have made a difference short of taking a different trail or going slower

Honestly I don’t think that’s a good point at all who stares at their speedometer it’s kind of a quick glance where you can still see ahead kind of how the manufacturer intended to use them

I’m not sure which wreck was worse so I’ll describe them both.

Ages ago, I “borrowed” my brother’s XR200R for a quick trail ride. I was in a fallow field booking it. I came over the crest of a hill and the famous Honda headshake hit. Hard. I’m not sure exactly how I crashed but it knocked me senseless. I don’t think I was unconscious. But I was so cross eyed I couldn’t see. Ended up pushing the bike home. Still couldn’t see. And then I did the worst think you could do with a concussion: I went to sleep. Pretty sure I survived with no major ill effects.

Second crash. First real ride after re-entering the sport last Labor Day. Last run. If I don’t wreck I’m parking it in 5 minutes. Confidence is high as I’m getting my grove back. Then wham. Bike keels over to the left and I slam into the ground. I lay there barley able to move. Probably cracked ribs. Some sharp pain in my left shoulder when I breath in to a certain point. I felt like I was going to throw up. I very likely had a concussion. I probably was dehydrated. I may even have had heat stroke. Something was definitely more wrong than just rib pains though. Urgent care gave me some oxygen and took my vitals (I’m pretty sure they were normal). No one ever gave me an IV. So frankly, I have no clue why I felt drunk and barely able to stay conscious. So yeah, concussion. Went to the hospital because urgent care was like your too messed up for us. Hospital just made me sit around and wait for chest X-ray to show nothing broken and a CT scan at my request to make sure I wasn’t about to have an aneurysm or something. By the time I get home my mental capacity is back to normal.

Video shows I hit going from left to right. It also show I very likely land on the left handlebar. Hard to tell. Hurt like a bitch.

I’m not sure which wreck was worse so I’ll describe them both.

Ages ago, I “borrowed” my brother’s XR200R for a quick trail ride. I was in a fallow field booking it. I came over the crest of a hill and the famous Honda headshake hit. Hard. I’m not sure exactly how I crashed but it knocked me senseless. I don’t think I was unconscious. But I was so cross eyed I couldn’t see. Ended up pushing the bike home. Still couldn’t see. And then I did the worst think you could do with a concussion: I went to sleep. Pretty sure I survived with no major ill effects.

Second crash. First real ride after re-entering the sport last Labor Day. Last run. If I don’t wreck I’m parking it in 5 minutes. Confidence is high as I’m getting my grove back. Then wham. Bike keels over to the left and I slam into the ground. I lay there barley able to move. Probably cracked ribs. Some sharp pain in my left shoulder when I breath in to a certain point. I felt like I was going to throw up. I very likely had a concussion. I probably was dehydrated. I may even have had heat stroke. Something was definitely more wrong than just rib pains though. Urgent care gave me some oxygen and took my vitals (I’m pretty sure they were normal). No one ever gave me an IV. So frankly, I have no clue why I felt drunk and barely able to stay conscious. So yeah, concussion. Went to the hospital because urgent care was like your too messed up for us. Hospital just made me sit around and wait for chest X-ray to show nothing broken and a CT scan at my request to make sure I wasn’t about to have an aneurysm or something. By the time I get home my mental capacity is back to normal.

Video shows I hit going from left to right. It also show I very likely land on the left handlebar. Hard to tell. Hurt like a bitch.

Jesus Christ theses xr’s man