Posted (edited)

I have a problem but it's gonna sound like I'm a ungrateful little kid. So I first started out with a klx110 and I had that thing for 2 years. Just recently, I got a crf150rb even though I repetitively told my parents that a kx100 would be way better. The dude that my klx110 was sold to even said that I should get a 2 stroke for my next bike.

A few weeks of searching later, it was down to a 2016 kx or 2015 rb. I obviously wanted the two stroke cause it would be way easier to work on/ repair, sounded and smelled  better and it would be cheaper than the 150. Dad said "holy crap!! That thing has to be rebuilt every 25 hrs!?!" I just could NOT change their minds. 

I still love my 150, and I am so glad my parents even let me ride dirt bikes at this age, but I just wish they listened to me sometimes. Should I wait till I have a job (I'm 15 not whatever my bio says) and buy whatever the hell I want? Thanks

Edited by hoobert

They gave you a bike? You should be on your knees profusely thanking them.

Earn money, then you can buy what you want. When you get your first home, invite your parents over. Have every light on every faucet running, every door and window open and the A/C cranking. You can do that when it is your house, your rules. Until then, be extremely grateful they feed you.

A 150rb is a fine bike.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 2

5 minutes ago, William1 said:

They gave you a bike? You should be on your knees profusely thanking them.

Earn money, then you can buy what you want. When you get your first home, invite your parents over. Have every light on every faucet running, every door and window open and the A/C cranking. You can do that when it is your house, your rules. Until then, be extremely grateful they feed you.

A 150rb is a fine bike.

Oh yeah I am thanking them all the time for getting me that. Most others aren't as fortunate as I am, so yes I still am very happy with this. In the back of my head though.... the thought always lies

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hoobert said:

Oh yeah I am thanking them all the time for getting me that. Most others aren't as fortunate as I am, so yes I still am very happy with this. In the back of my head though.... the thought always lies

Glad to know you appreciate how lucky you are. We all dream. I still do. My parents hated all motorcycles. They offered nothing in the way of helping me in my quests, the shame is, they could of easily afforded to. Had I been interested in something they liked, they would of backed me 110%. My grandmother was terrified of motorcycles but she was the one who drove me to the track.

Now, take out the garbage and do the dishes! ;)

• Like 1

I begged, and begged, and pleaded, then begged some more, for my parents to get me  a dirtbike when I was growing up, and never got one.  I had to wait until I was 27 years old till I could afford one.  I know why they never got me one, it was because they were dangerous and neither of my parents knew anything about riding so I can understand why they never got me one. 

I was lucky that I had a friend that had invited me to his house, after school, so I could learn how to use the clutch on his 1978 KE100-it was a total heap but ran and I was able to learn how to use the clutch and shift, thank you Evan Darling-I know you are still out there.  Had he not taught me, I wonder if I'd be riding today.  

My wife and I have sort of spoiled our two kids in that they both got bikes and had never asked for them.  

Be thankful for the bike you got, this kind of stuff isn't cheap. If you really want a 2 stroke mow some lawns and buy one on craigslist for cheap, I got a yz80 for 60 bucks a while back that I got running after some work. You'll find one for cheap but it will be a pos most likely, but as long as it runs your good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hoobert said:

The dude that my klx110 was sold to even said that I should get a 2 stroke for my next bike.

It's good that you know a dude to tell you what is best for you. :facepalm:

4 hours ago, hoobert said:

Should I wait till I have a job (I'm 15 not whatever my bio says) and buy whatever the hell I want?

Yes, then you can rebuild it and buy parts for it yourself.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 76xtdrvr said:

It's good that you know a dude to tell you what is best for you. :facepalm:

No, I was already convinced on getting a 2 stroke because of the advantages it has over 4 strokes. The "dude" said that he also raced MX bikes (no idea if that was true though). 

2 minutes ago, hoobert said:

No, I was already convinced on getting a 2 stroke because of the advantages it has over 4 strokes. The "dude" said that he also raced MX bikes (no idea if that was true though). 

Just giving you a hard time.  Enjoy what you're riding and stay the course until you can do it on your own. 

Just now, 76xtdrvr said:

Just giving you a hard time.  Enjoy what you're riding and stay the course until you can do it on your own. 

Haha thanks

Count your blessings...  They could have bought you a quad.

Doc

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, hoobert said:

Be humble and enjoy.

Your parents suck. Making you ride a 4t?!!! Mine were a little cooler in that they let me buy my own. So naturally a 2t. Duh

But the one thing I really wanted they would never buy. Red Ryder carbine action 200 shot range model BB gun. Kept telling me I'd shoot my eye out. 

My advice if you still want the 2t is tell them you’d like to earn it by working for it with odd jobs. Also, stay healthy as the quickest way to get your riding privileges removed is to get hurt.

I begged, and begged, and pleaded, then begged some more, for my parents to get me  a dirtbike when I was growing up, and never got one.  I had to wait until I was 27 years old till I could afford one.  I know why they never got me one, it was because they were dangerous and neither of my parents knew anything about riding so I can understand why they never got me one. 

My parents were the same way. Partially because I played hockey too and they didn’t want me to get hurt. I had to wait til I was 31. I wish I was able to learn earlier just cuz I am so slow haha

Know what I did when I was living with my parents?
.... Nothing. :lol:

Got introduced to powersports (snowmobiling specifically) and rodeo in college.

Bull riding was a good college-kid sport - not a whole lot of equipment requirements, and going to school in Wyoming I had ample opportunities to do such things.

Once I moved into my own place, I filled the garage with sleds/bikes and started racing them.

It's much harder for your parents to tell you "No, you can't go race snowmobiles" when they're 1000 miles away and aren't making your mortgage payments. :smirk:

(really though, after the whole rodeo thing they didn't have much of an issue with me racing sleds and motos)

Moral of the story, I guess: get into bullriding.  They'll be happy to feed a dirt bike addiction if it means you're not riding buckin bulls. :prof:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You will have many motorcycles in your lifetime , It's not always greener on the other side, there are good and bad of all bikes 2 stroke 4 stroke , I have owned both in different sizes 50cc 2 stroke when I was 12 , now 65 have a Kawaski KLX 400R four stroke before this bike had a Suzuki RMX250 2 stroke, now like the 400 better has full power right off idle up to full rpm.

I have a problem but it's gonna sound like I'm a ungrateful little kid. So I first started out with a klx110 and I had that thing for 2 years. Just recently, I got a crf150rb even though I repetitively told my parents that a kx100 would be way better. The dude that my klx110 was sold to even said that I should get a 2 stroke for my next bike.
A few weeks of searching later, it was down to a 2016 kx or 2015 rb. I obviously wanted the two stroke cause it would be way easier to work on/ repair, sounded and smelled  better and it would be cheaper than the 150. Dad said "holy crap!! That thing has to be rebuilt every 25 hrs!?!" I just could NOT change their minds. 
 I still love my 150, and I am so glad my parents even let me ride dirt bikes at this age, but I just wish they listened to me sometimes. Should I wait till I have a job (I'm 15 not whatever my bio says) and buy whatever the hell I want? Thanks

I'm 17 and went from a 2001 cr250, to a 2002 cr125, and now I'm on a 2014 kx100. I'm 6'0 so I'm a little big on the 100 but where and how I ride I found the KX 100 to be the perfect little woods and track ripper. My cr250 was a crazy beast! But little too much bike for me. I had the TX race plastics kit on that thing and fully rebuilt it myself. Sold it for 3k. But honestly the 150 and 100 are close competitors. But I'm sure you'll like the 150s reliability and overall power. At least you don't have to worry about premix lol .

I don't really know what to say, both my mom and dado support this sport. Me, my dad, and my younger broham go riding together. My dad bought me a 1999 KTM 200 MXC, and at first I thought the forks were going to blow up, and I was going to have to stay in 1st the entire ride (came from a ttr125). But as I gain more experience and finish doing well on technical terrain, I feel happy I have that bike despite it's 90's technology which isn't all that bad.