Ox Hydra LHRB

I have it on my bike. Manual clutch. I went with the OX cause I wanted a LHRB that didn't tie into the hydro line in case of failure. OX is awesome. Completely independent system. Couldnt support a nicer guy too. The owner, Chuck is over 80 years old and shreds gnarly Colorado single track by himself. Buy with confidence. 

2 hours ago, Freemotion said:

I have it on my bike. Manual clutch. I went with the OX cause I wanted a LHRB that didn't tie into the hydro line in case of failure. OX is awesome. Completely independent system. Couldnt support a nicer guy too. The owner, Chuck is over 80 years old and shreds gnarly Colorado single track by himself. Buy with confidence. 

Do you just use it for downhill switchbacks?  I've always thought it would be nice to have for RH downhill switches.  

58 minutes ago, GlennE said:

Do you just use it for downhill switchbacks?  I've always thought it would be nice to have for RH downhill switches.  

When I saw the OX I made one and it works good for that.  I was always having trouble with the hydraulic insert kind.  Great idea.  Mine does not have the power of the foot break though but is great for Rekluse drawbacks.

4 hours ago, Freemotion said:

I ordered one from Slaven's this morning, already being shipped. 

The install looks pretty easy and straightforward. 

Can you modulate the rear brake ok with it? To keep maximum braking without locking up? Or is it kind of either on or off?

I installed one on my buddies 300 xc and it doesn't lock the rear up at all. He likes it, but imo it's just a gimmick part . Meaning , I'm old school and rather people learn how to work the front and rear brake . Also , learn  to use the clutch and throttle , without crunches like recluse and throttle tamers.Again,  my opinion.

5 hours ago, Edgecombe said:

I installed one on my buddies 300 xc and it doesn't lock the rear up at all. He likes it, but imo it's just a gimmick part . Meaning , I'm old school and rather people learn how to work the front and rear brake . Also , learn  to use the clutch and throttle , without crunches like recluse and throttle tamers.Again,  my opinion.

Yup, thanks for sharing your mightier than thow opinion Edgecombe, but that's not what I was asking for.

According to your "opinion" though,  I guess I should get rid of the map switch, the fuel injection, my Flexx bars, the Tubliss in my tires and let's not forget the Rekluse as well? Since they are all "crunches"?

I'm 53, and have been riding since I was a kid. I'm well aware of how to use my rear brake, but for those times when it's hard to get your right foot on the pedal when you need it, I thought a LHRB would be helpful. Just looking for opinions on how well this one works is all.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JK-Rubicon said:

Yup, thanks for sharing your mightier than thow opinion Edgecombe, but that's not what I was asking for.

According to your "opinion" though,  I guess I should get rid of the map switch, the fuel injection, my Flexx bars, the Tubliss in my tires and let's not forget the Rekluse as well? Since they are all "crunches"?

I'm 53, and have been riding since I was a kid. I'm well aware of how to use my rear brake, but for those times when it's hard to get your right foot on the pedal when you need it, I thought a LHRB would be helpful. Just looking for opinions on how well this one works is all.

Anytime.?. At 53 years old, didn't know you would be so sensitive.  Riding dirt is pretty tough, so lighten up Francis. 

Edited by Edgecombe

I'm 62, been riding with a LHRB for 5 years on my 300. I like having it. It's the Rekluse Hyd. type tho. Someone said something about the OX being less powerful to lock up the rear than the Hyd. type, don't think I'd like that. The Hyd. type is already somewhat less powerful to lock up the rear than the foot pedal. Maybe the new updated unit is better. I guess, knowing what I know now, I'd have to get a ride with an OX before I went that route.

I will say, if you're riding with a Rekluse clutch, all the positive attributes of the LHRB they talk about are true. And I never thought I'd use it as much as I do while standing.

I have an OX LHB on my bike to use w/the rekluse. (side note, I'm a girl so flame away if you wish) I like it, but it's not as powerful as the actual footbrake but has great modulation.  It can just barely lock up the rear wheel, but what it is great for is the little extra drag needed to slow down long descents, switchbacks etc.  I'm a mountain biker and when I started riding moto adjusting to the footbrake was just something I could not train my body to do.  My biggest issue is modulation w.the boot on and figuring out the balance, I keep overweighting my left foot.  Now I have more confidence on sketchy areas while still working on learning how to footbrake, but not having to be reliant on it.

• Like 2

I'm 62, been riding with a LHRB for 5 years on my 300. I like having it. It's the Rekluse Hyd. type tho. Someone said something about the OX being less powerful to lock up the rear than the Hyd. type, don't think I'd like that. The Hyd. type is already somewhat less powerful to lock up the rear than the foot pedal. Maybe the new updated unit is better. I guess, knowing what I know now, I'd have to get a ride with an OX before I went that route.
I will say, if you're riding with a Rekluse clutch, all the positive attributes of the LHRB they talk about are true. And I never thought I'd use it as much as I do while standing.

I have the Rekluse LHRB. You have to bleed and bleed and bleed and bleed it. Did I mention you have to bleed it? I am not sure mine is bubble free yet, but it does just fine for sketchy downhill to keep the rear wheel behind you, ala descending on a mountain bike with dual hand levers, and yes it modulates pretty well. Regular riding I still favor the foot pedal. FWIW I ground a corresponding slot out of my Righteous Stunt Clutch lever to get the two as close as is possible.

I believe Ox has a hydraulic unit now also.

IMG_2906.JPG

IMG_2907.JPG

11 hours ago, JK-Rubicon said:

Thanks for the replies. Sounds pretty much like what I'm hoping to get out of a LHRB.

Seems like there's not a lot of people who have ridden with the Ox Hydraulic brake, I can't even find it anywhere other than Slaven's 

might be exclusive. Jeff & chuck are buddies and both out of the springs. 

LOL to the old guy, classic 

I'm really interested in one of these also (the new hydro OX).  Post a review once you get it tested!  The people who don't get why a rider would want one obviously don't ride the type of trails that are so steep you literally can't use your pedal...

29 minutes ago, kingkabong said:

I'm really interested in one of these also (the new hydro OX).  Post a review once you get it tested!  The people who don't get why a rider would want one obviously don't ride the type of trails that are so steep you literally can't use your pedal...

Will do ?

On 6/21/2019 at 5:19 AM, JK-Rubicon said:

Just wondering if anyone has tried or has any opinions or impressions of this left hand rear brake that is available from Slaven's Racing? Can't seem to find any reviews online. 

I'm going to be installing a Rekluse on my '19 300 XC-W and was thinking of also adding a LHRB.

I am new to the forum but have been lurking for a while.  The OX Hydro kit is 100% better than Rekluse LHRB.  I own both and the Rekluse is good for about 2 rides before is needs to be bled. 

I have been running one for maybe the last month. As soon as Slavens posted his email about them I called and got one. My bike is a 2014 300 XC-W I have run the cable Ox-brake for about 4 years.

I talked to Chuck he wanted his dealer to have them available before he posted them on his web site. I'm not sure if they are there yet.

I had an issue with the brake not releasing when I used the handlebar lever when I talked to Chuck we determined that some of the older brake pedals were differently shaped, and caused a bind between the brake pedal and the Hydro unit. We determined that I needed to shim between the hydro brake slave cylinder and the brake pedal. Problem solved. Now it works like it should this will be addressed on the next run of Hydro ox-brakes. I had to use 2 spit lock washers to get it to work. But now it works as it should, I can lock it up on most surfaces at any speed.

This design I think is brilliant as the brake rod between the brake pedal and the master cylinder is replaced with the Hydro brake slave. It is not tied into the rear brake systems hydrolics at all. It is a totally separate system, and pre-bled. this has been my reluctance in using any of the other Hydraulic LHRB set-ups.

In use its modulation I believe is really good, power is very good and adjustability is awesome I have become a believer in the LHRB for so many instances in offroad riding.

I think the Hydro takes the Ox-brake to a far better level.

• Like 1