Ox Hydra LHRB

22 hours ago, raymo2.0 said:

I have been running one for maybe the last month. As soon as Slavens posted his email about them I called and got one. My bike is a 2014 300 XC-W I have run the cable Ox-brake for about 4 years.

I talked to Chuck he wanted his dealer to have them available before he posted them on his web site. I'm not sure if they are there yet.

I had an issue with the brake not releasing when I used the handlebar lever when I talked to Chuck we determined that some of the older brake pedals were differently shaped, and caused a bind between the brake pedal and the Hydro unit. We determined that I needed to shim between the hydro brake slave cylinder and the brake pedal. Problem solved. Now it works like it should this will be addressed on the next run of Hydro ox-brakes. I had to use 2 spit lock washers to get it to work. But now it works as it should, I can lock it up on most surfaces at any speed.

This design I think is brilliant as the brake rod between the brake pedal and the master cylinder is replaced with the Hydro brake slave. It is not tied into the rear brake systems hydrolics at all. It is a totally separate system, and pre-bled. this has been my reluctance in using any of the other Hydraulic LHRB set-ups.

In use its modulation I believe is really good, power is very good and adjustability is awesome I have become a believer in the LHRB for so many instances in offroad riding.

I think the Hydro takes the Ox-brake to a far better level.

This is awesome!  Thanks!  I'd say he must have taken it down (Slavens also) to make these adjustments, because I can't find the hydraulic one listed anywhere.  On my wish list for this summer for sure.

Just now, kingkabong said:

This is awesome!  Thanks!  I'd say he must have taken it down (Slavens also) to make these adjustments, because I can't find the hydraulic one listed anywhere.  On my wish list for this summer for sure.

Truthfully Chuck probable went through his stock as he was very impressed with the response and sales the first week by the second week he was trying to put some together to get out to his dealers. His site has not had them yet as he wanted his dealer to get the first crack at the sales he didn't want to compete with them. Chuck is really a quality person!

Here is the link to Slavens site, I don't know who else got them in.

https://slavensracing.com/product-category/brakes/lh-rear-brake-kit/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, raymo2.0 said:

Truthfully Chuck probable went through his stock as he was very impressed with the response and sales the first week by the second week he was trying to put some together to get out to his dealers. His site has not had them yet as he wanted his dealer to get the first crack at the sales he didn't want to compete with them. Chuck is really a quality person!

Here is the link to Slavens site, I don't know who else got them in.

https://slavensracing.com/product-category/brakes/lh-rear-brake-kit/

lol, good call. I was searching "ox-brake"... doh.

Thanks for sharing your results with the Hydra Brake Raymo2.0 

Mine arrived in the mail yesterday, along with the Rekluse CX.

It'll be my first experience riding with both of them. Hopefully I can get them installed tonight after work and go riding this weekend. 

I'll report back here with my findings after I've had a chance to try it out. 

Good to know about the lever sticking and the fix using split washers, thanks.

3 hours ago, JK-Rubicon said:

Thanks for sharing your results with the Hydra Brake Raymo2.0 

Mine arrived in the mail yesterday, along with the Rekluse CX.

It'll be my first experience riding with both of them. Hopefully I can get them installed tonight after work and go riding this weekend. 

I'll report back here with my findings after I've had a chance to try it out. 

Good to know about the lever sticking and the fix using split washers, thanks.

Great set-up I have run the Rekluse since it came out I have used all the different models the latest is for sure the greatest. 😀

On the binding when you pull the handlebar lever and release it, check to see if the slave cylinder moves on the heim joint if it moves no shimming required if not then the shims will be needed. Chuck talked to a different customer and he was able to get it to work with .068" washer; mine required .136" I.E. two split lock washers, if you  need to shim make sure the O.D. of the washer is as small as possible as if it is too big it will prevent the Heim joint from working properly.

Have fun and enjoy your new toys.

Edited by raymo2.0
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

58,   years of riding, never been so happy or fast as with YZ250, LHRB and Rekluse clutch, pegged at the case, with no clutch leaver at all. Automatic. I call it my PW 250.

Left hand brake leaver is a Brembo off some Yamaha road bike hydraulic clutch, works great. Skid the rear easily if you want, especially good sliding into corners, total control of the rear wheel. Not like trying to use a foot brake through a heavy boot, what feel? I don't know why bikes aren't sold off the show room floor brand new like this? 

Edited by uniflow
  • Like 1

OX Brake had my media co out for an I depth install of the new hydra. Check it out. He installs one on my 300 and goes through the complete bleeding procedure for down the road when you need to. 

They ship closed and bled, ready to install. 

• Helpful 1

Well I  installed my Rekluse CX and Ox Hydra Brake yesterday. Had no problems with installing the Rekluse other than for the first while after I  installed the adjustable slave cylinder I had absolutely no feeling or resistance in my clutch. 

I bled it...  nothing, I bled it again...  still nothing,  I put the factory slave back on, thinking maybe the Rekluse one was defective....  and it felt fine. I  tried the Rekluse one again... nothing. And then,  just like that it was working. I still have no idea what caused that, but it's working good now and I was able to set the free play gain.

As for the Ox Hydra Brake, the install couldn't have been easier.

I just followed Chuck's instructions from Freemotion's video posted above and the installation took maybe 10 minutes. (Thanks again for posting Freemotion)

I was able to get out to the Porcupine Hills here in Southern Alberta today,  and give them a try.

I have to say it was a little awkward getting used to a LHRB at first,  caught myself a couple of times pulling in the brake when I was shifting gears, lol.

But for my after lunch ride I did a really tight, technical single track and that was where having a LHRB started to really grow on me. It was so nice being able to get my feet back on the pegs to the balls of my foot, grip the tank with my knees and not have to worry about jabbing for the rear brake pedal, and the Ox Hydra Brake worked flawlessly. I was easily able to regulate the rear braking and only lock it up if I wanted to. And with  the Rekluse I didn't need to worry about grabbing the clutch unless I wanted to. 

I did notice once that my fingers got whacked by a branch because the Ox lever is so low under my barkbusters, and on one particularly hard, rocky off-camber hill, I had a spill and the bike landed hard, upside down, and the barkbuster and my levers were buried in the dirt. I was sure, with my luck, I had already broken the LHRB lever, but after catching my breath and picking my upside down bike back up, I was happy to see there was no damage. 

Well, after my initial impressions would I recommend the Ox Hydra Brake?

Absolutely! If you like riding technical single track it really helps a lot.

And another benefit, now I can practice my Graham Jarvis 12 o'clock wheelies and use the LHRB to save me if I get too far back, lol. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

JeffakaBolt  has them also. He has been stellar to work with...

Edited by Meridian7750