craig3x

can you add fluid through bleeder?

2013 KTM 300xcw. Going for a ride tomorrow and noticed about a tablespoon or two of fork fluid under one of my forks. I used a "seal saver" to clean around the seal and think it may have stopped or slowed the leak. I was wondering if I could add a little bit of fluid through the bleeder port just to get through the ride tomorrow?? I plan to replace the seals and fresh fluid after this ride.

You can but it is very imprecise.

I'm sure you didn't lose enough fluid to significantly affect the fork action.  You would probably be better off running it as is until you can replace seals, bushings and fluid and properly set the oil level.

• Like 1

Yes, but I really would not bother.  If you really want to, use a small syringe. Push down on the fork and as you release, squirt the oil in.  It will suck right in.

I have done this quite a bit while testing various setups to add 5cc at a time. It works, but it sometimes painfully frustrating to do by yourself. Works pretty good if you have a friend to help push down the forks...

I made a simple tool to make this much easier without requiring a helper. I disassembled a push button bleed assembly and attached the hollow body, which screws into the fork, to a tube connected to a syringe.

1. Place the desired amount of fluid in the syringe. All of the fluid will go into the fork; none will be left in the syringe or tube.

2. Put the syringe plunger in, turn it upside down and press the plunger in to remove most of the air.

3. Screw the syringe assembly into the bleed screw opening.

4. Slowly pull the syringe plunger out to create a vacuum. Air bubbles will be drawn through the bleed screw hole, which allows a vacuum to be created inside the fork to draw the fluid in. This is why you pushed most of the air out of the syringe in step 2; to allow the plunger to be drawn out in order to create a vacuum. Don’t pull the plunger all the way out.

5. Slowly push the plunger in. All the fluid will go into the fork with no spillage. Repeat as necessary to ensure complete fluid transfer.

6. Remove the syringe assembly. If you wish to use your push button bleeders, reassemble them and reinstall in your bleed screw. Otherwise, just screw your bleed screw back in.

It works great for me, and is very accurate.

IMG_4301.JPG

• Like 2

I use an enema bottle for babies for sale at your local Walgreens....the tip is the right size and is soft rubber....seals very well...

• Like 1

Think I'd go ride and see if wiping the seal fixed it before messing around adding oil. You won't feel any difference and won't hurt anything,

On 7/12/2019 at 10:59 AM, motrock93b said:

I made a simple tool to make this much easier without requiring a helper. I disassembled a push button bleed assembly and attached the hollow body, which screws into the fork, to a tube connected to a syringe.

1. Place the desired amount of fluid in the syringe. All of the fluid will go into the fork; none will be left in the syringe or tube.

2. Put the syringe plunger in, turn it upside down and press the plunger in to remove most of the air.

3. Screw the syringe assembly into the bleed screw opening.

4. Slowly pull the syringe plunger out to create a vacuum. Air bubbles will be drawn through the bleed screw hole, which allows a vacuum to be created inside the fork to draw the fluid in. This is why you pushed most of the air out of the syringe in step 2; to allow the plunger to be drawn out in order to create a vacuum. Don’t pull the plunger all the way out.

5. Slowly push the plunger in. All the fluid will go into the fork with no spillage. Repeat as necessary to ensure complete fluid transfer.

6. Remove the syringe assembly. If you wish to use your push button bleeders, reassemble them and reinstall in your bleed screw. Otherwise, just screw your bleed screw back in.

It works great for me, and is very accurate.

IMG_4301.JPG

awesome idea, i'll have to build myself one of those!