Single bike carrier setup.

I know this maybe posted up a zillion times before. Sorry about that. I tried a search on it. But came up empty. I am a bit confused on how to properly set this up? I saw some different vids on this type of setup. Then I saw a vid that the bike rim drops down and then and you insert (removable pin) through the spoke area. (between the hub and rim) to make sure it does not fall off even if tie downs fail ETC. I just got a new tow vehicle (VAN) and a newer dirtbike.  I only used 2 tie downs on my old dirtybike. Just from the handlebars to the center hooks. My carrier came with 2 removable pins. IIRC Pins were used if you put a smaller dirtbike on and only used as a accessory. FYI. I just got some new tiedowns (Pro taper). Is 2 straps OK??

Show me you setup if you have pics of it. Thanks

bike.jpg

ramp.jpg

1 hour ago, Piney Woods said:

You need to get a attachment to slide into your receiver to raise the carrier. It is beyond obvious it will drag on any uneven pavement, etc. Any place selling hitches has them. What you have now is very unsafe.  

I know it was unsafe on my old setup. Hence why I was asking about how to tie it down. My van has Airlift 1000. Both old and new one. Old one was in the picture. All good. Taking into my work and see how the new bike fits and make adjustments.

My setup...

20190417_191732.jpg.1c75fd3925a6afc34a8deb4f7679387b.jpg

20190417_163922.jpg.419389e2ba2a1703bef573224c54abfb.jpg

I use 4 tiedown straps. 2 to the handlebars (one on each side) and 2 short ones to the subframe where it attaches to the frame. 

I also custom-fit the stinger to slip snugly into the reciever so there's no slop to prevent any movement of the carrier while on the road.

Works most excellently...

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 9:12 PM, honda roboxl said:

Looking into adapters. Thanks. Going to raise it up.

Keep us posted on your final set up. I use a double hauler and it squats . I raised my suspension with stiffer springs and load leveling shocks . Next is 1.5" lift and/or helper bags. 

Secure the wheels to the rack. They can hop out or roll out.  Happened to me in a sharp  60mph curve (rolled back from G force). That was after many year of never having a problem.  I've also seen bikes hop a wheel off going through deep driveway dips that slam the carrier.

8 hours ago, Prooney said:

ILike the look of those front straps, What brand are they?

nice straps.jpg

ProTaper. Best straps I have ever used. Caribiner with a swivel on the bottom side, soft tie on the top with a velcro portion to secure the loose end so it doesn't flap in the wind.

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Taper-Tie-Downs-BLACK/dp/B009XIP942/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=pro+taper+straps&qid=1561758095&s=gateway&sr=8-1

71Hr-hTsD1L._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by woods-rider
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

3 hours ago, Truman Sparks said:

When I use my hitch ramp on my 1980 FSJ Cherokee to reduce movement I run to ratchet straps from the roof rack to the carrier.

I do something similar except I run a soft tie down to the frame of the bike and the other end to the holes you'd use to put your chains if pulling a trailer. Makes it so the carrier hardly moves.

On 6/28/2019 at 4:33 PM, highmarker said:

Secure the wheels to the rack. They can hop out or roll out.  Happened to me in a sharp  60mph curve (rolled back from G force). That was after many year of never having a problem.  I've also seen bikes hop a wheel off going through deep driveway dips that slam the carrier.

??