utah Trail Conditions AF Canyon, Stansbury, Hobble Creek, etc

Hello fellow riders.  Let's post up trail conditions here.  We haven't ridden on the East side upper elevations yet and we are curious to know what's happening.  If anyone has been, post up here your findings.

Cheers!

db

Excellent idea. I’ve been anxious to get up there as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tonkaman said:

Excellent idea. I’ve been anxious to get up there as well.

We have mostly been riding south of Lake Mountain.  But we are eager to hit the hills.  My friend was on his RAZR yesterday up AF by Mineral Basin.  He said there was a lot of snow still up there.  

https://www.trailforks.com/region/salt-lake-city/?activitytype=1&z=13.2&lat=40.16737&lon=-111.45985

This website has some information on a lot of the trails.  It seems to be a MTN Bike website but that's okay.  It appears a lot of the ST up in AF is still muddy.  We are riding Hobble Creek this Sunday and I will report back.  It seems dry in most places from what I read. 

Posted (edited)

Today we rode Hobble Creek.  Conditions are a bit dusty in some areas but PERFECT overall!!  Caught a small little rain storm on the second half of our ride, kept the dust down and got a bit muddy.  Did approx. 34 miles of single track.  EPIC ride today!

20190630_115329.jpg

20190630_115426.jpg

20190630_083014.jpg

Edited by r1superstar
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I failed to mention that we started at the Kirkman's Hollow trail head.  We rode mostly in the Wanrhodes Basin area.  TH 013, 091, 012, Forest rd 058, Forest rd 115, and two unmarked trails.

Edited by r1superstar

https://www.trailforks.com/region/salt-lake-city/?activitytype=1&z=13.2&lat=40.16737&lon=-111.45985

This website has some information on a lot of the trails.  It seems to be a MTN Bike website but that's okay.  It appears a lot of the ST up in AF is still muddy.  We are riding Hobble Creek this Sunday and I will report back.  It seems dry in most places from what I read. 

Thanks, that’s a great idea for a resource!
  • Like 1

I'm heading up to ride Stansbury Tuesday 7.9.19 if anyone wants to join me.  Approx 1130am.  PM me

I'm actually heading up to AF Canyon today if anyone wants to join me.  Approx 1230.

I rode AF Canyon solo today.  It was 40.4 miles in total.  26 miles of that was Single Track.  AF is dusty in most places but Primo as far as views and greenery!  I rode portions and/or most of single track trails: 039, 040, 81, 157, 181.  And roads FR008 to Silver Lake, and FR193.  I couldn't go Northeast towards Forest Lake on 157 as the snow was still too deep and too far up on the side of the hill to traverse.  The river crossing at Silver Lake was approx. two feet deep.

20190709_130244.jpg

20190709_141328.jpg

20190709_141409.jpg

20190709_142222.jpg

20190709_153656.jpg

20190709_161107.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Rode AF Canyon again today.  49.4 miles of mostly technical single track.  Lot's of water up there and the lakes/reservoirs are as full as I have ever seen them.  We rode: 040 to 157 and decided to stop at a very steep hill by a waterfall.  We were trying to make it to Lake Martha and Lake Catherine but it was steep!  We hit several other ST trails along the way.  VERY dusty!  Enjoy the pictures...

20190716_103552.jpg

20190716_104348.jpg

20190716_114042.jpg

Edited by r1superstar
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 9:50 PM, r1superstar said:

Rode AF Canyon again today.  49.4 miles of mostly technical single track.  Lot's of water up there and the lakes/reservoirs are as full as I have ever seen them.  We rode: 040 to 157 and decided to stop at a very steep hill by a waterfall.  We were trying to make it to Lake Martha and Lake Catherine but it was steep!  We hit several other ST trails along the way.  VERY dusty!  Enjoy the pictures...

20190716_103552.jpg

20190716_104348.jpg

20190716_114042.jpg

I'm not the trail police, and I don't want to seem like I am busting your balls.

I didn't see any sign of registration or spark arrestor on your bike.  If your set, then I'm sorry.  If not a ranger could ruin your day in a hurry.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, chadzu said:

I'm not the trail police, and I don't want to seem like I am busting your balls.

I didn't see any sign of registration or spark arrestor on your bike.  If your set, then I'm sorry.  If not a ranger could ruin your day in a hurry.

It's all good.  I'm plated and it's attached to my camelback! 

Hopefully you found my posts informative for your riding pleasure!

Edited by r1superstar

Where do you park when you want to ride AF canyon?  I am in SLC and usually take my truck up to Midway and park at start of Snake Creek road. 
But if the access is better near Alpine it might be quicker for me to go that route. 

I'm moving to Rock Springs, WY August 1st and have been scouring the Rocky Mountain area thread. Looks like all the trail areas in the Salt Lake/Park City area are about a 2.5 hour drive for me. Any suggestions where to stay for a weekend out of the city that offers good trail access?

From SLC most people park at Tibble Fork reservoir. I often park at Snake Creek as I'm usually riding with guys that live up there. There's a fee station at the mouth of AF. Snake Creek used to be free but it looks like they're enforcing having a tag to be parked in the lot now

6 hours ago, bon3krusher said:

Where do you park when you want to ride AF canyon?  I am in SLC and usually take my truck up to Midway and park at start of Snake Creek road. 
But if the access is better near Alpine it might be quicker for me to go that route. 

We park at the Tibble Fork reservoir.  There are bathrooms there and it's a clean and easy staging area.  I purchased an America the Beautiful park pass.  Access to all the National Parks and areas where there are fees like AF Canyon.

• Like 1