What is the best gas jug / can to use? I was looking into one of them VP 5 gallon ones but I’ve heard a lot of mixed reviews on them. Apparently the bottom seam separates quite often on them. Anyone got any recommendations? Thanks in advance

3 hours ago, bungholio said:

I dare you to try crossing the water on a WSF with that can in the back of your truck (visible). God speed!

• Helpful 1

I dare you to try crossing the water on a WSF with that can in the back of your truck (visible). God speed!
Not getting the point here, sorry.

Oh, Washington State ferry. So no gas cans in back of truck on the ferry? Didn't know that, I don't use the ferry system.

VP all the way. There is no substitute,  if not a Endurance type quick fill. Also ditch the black vent cap and run tubing down the handle. This will make it pour faster and prevent drips.

16A525ED-7CBD-43D9-9E38-2C399C4C8668.jpeg

Agreed with VP jugs. I have a few and they have never let me down. 

VP all the way. There is no substitute,  if not a Endurance type quick fill. Also ditch the black vent cap and run tubing down the handle. This will make it pour faster and prevent drips.

16A525ED-7CBD-43D9-9E38-2C399C4C8668.jpeg.1344099f65a63f0b7a7ae5cd95bb8fb2.jpeg

The tubing is clever. Do you have gas cap vents on the ends? Looks like something attached at end of tubes.

I like the easy can...

easy-can-gas-cans-3405-64_1000.thumb.jpg.be8bc47265c0ba81f28c8fea02bc6a54.jpg

I think it depends on the application. The VP are great for bikes. I have a jetsurf board (90cc 2-stroke inside a surfboard) with a pretty small tank that’s hard to get a precisely full fill on without spilling over and the ones like the easy can above with a trigger button provide very precise metering of the fuel (and are way way better than those crappy standard jugs with the enviro nozzles).

Posted (edited)

I also use the "VP Water jugs".   It was very nice of VP to switch from making the 5 gallon gas cans to 5 gallon water jugs when the imbeciles in Washington made them illegal.  

In my entire life, I probably spilled less than a 1/4 gallon of gas until they mandated these new stupid no spill spouts.   They cost $30 for a can  and I spill so much gas now.  They leak like a sieve.  I have several that after being pressurized by the heat of the day will shoot a fountain of gas 8 feet into the air when I unlock the safety mechanism.  I bet I've spilled over 5 gallons of gas since they mandated those stupid things.  This is EXACTLY why you don't want the government involved in managing your health care.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 13
  • Helpful 2

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Tahoe Gator said:

The tubing is clever. Do you have gas cap vents on the ends? Looks like something attached at end of tubes.

Those are just plastic caps to prevent spillage when full and trailering. I keep my Cans in my Genny compartment in trailer when going to the track. This lets me keep my bed cover down in truck to keep more stuff dry as well as keep the gas smell out of the trailer to sleep in. .All you need is a L fitting and those caps with tubing. 2 bucks for a few from Auto parts store..  here is my trailer...

A89C3101-AA73-4DD5-8D31-99390C2EA72E.jpeg

E2A6B3AC-9DD7-4B96-8619-189A70BE7E9D.jpeg

Edited by TLR67
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, bungholio said:

Not getting the point here, sorry.

Oh, Washington State ferry. So no gas cans in back of truck on the ferry? Didn't know that, I don't use the ferry system.

Must be nice lol. They’ll take UL listed cans but not those. 

16A525ED-7CBD-43D9-9E38-2C399C4C8668.jpeg.1344099f65a63f0b7a7ae5cd95bb8fb2.jpeg

That’s what I wanted to buy but there is so many bad reviews on amazon for them leaking from the bottom of the seam . Maybe amazon got a bad batch? I don’t have the patience for the spill safe cans

Posted (edited)

I have a handful of VP 5 gallon cans, over time the clear plastic fill tube will harden. Now I have moved on to these, and believe it or not they actually fill just as fast as the VP cans did with a quick shut off valve and added handles. 

Have a look at No Spill Jill in the video handling the jugs. 

http://www.nospill.com/

Puns, all the puns. 

Edited by redhurricane
  • Helpful 1

14 hours ago, CRJohnny said:

I use one of these  $13 Works just as well as the $70 pitstop can

735897C3-579E-46DC-B69D-76A3627D66AD.jpeg

Whomever legislated those squeeze to pour nozzles should be beat to death with one of them.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

6 hours ago, TLR67 said:

16A525ED-7CBD-43D9-9E38-2C399C4C8668.jpeg

Those work great, if you need to dump fuel fast, pitting during a race. And when you can dump the whole jug.  I like small jugs for the dirt bikes. More empty space in the jug, more aromatics can gas off...

2.5 g jugs carry enough to refill my tank, with none left to sit for a day or two. Easy can dumps pretty quick, too...

1 hour ago, Madsmokey12 said:

That’s what I wanted to buy but there is so many bad reviews on amazon for them leaking from the bottom of the seam . Maybe amazon got a bad batch? I don’t have the patience for the spill safe cans

Maybe knock offs but not a VP can. Never heard of them leaking in 25 years.and if they do VP will replace them I am sure..

• Like 1

I have a square VP (Husky logo haha) and it is good.  My dad got it for me for Christmas, as he knew that he would get my orange KTM branded round VP jug as a hand me down.  However, it is just another square jug.

I also have a Hunsaker 5gal.  That thing is the bomb, and is better in every metric other than it has a bigger foot print.  However with that bigger foot print it never tips over.  I have been using it for diesel in my Bobcat, so I need to get a new one to start transporting gasoline for the bikes again.

https://hunsakerusa.com/collections/5-gallon-quikfill-jugs/products/5-gallon-fuel-jug-quick-fill-jug