BRC 500 Build - Is it worth using a donor bike?

Hi,
I'm planning to build an SX or XC-W BRC 500, and will likely use a new bike instead of a used one to avoid any overly-stressed or damaged parts that aren't visible to the naked eye, yet could break prematurely and cause expensive engine damage. We know that not all riders are as concerned about proper maintenance and not abusing their bikes as some of us might be. :ph34r:
So considering that, and thinking about all the upgrades I'll be making to the bike (suspension, wheels, clutch, controls, etc., basically ANYTHING that the aftermarket can offer as a verifiable upgrade) I'm beginning to wonder if it even makes financial sense to start with a new bike and instead, just buy the KTM parts I need (frame, swing arm, gears & shafts, misc. internal engine and external parts) and build the bike from there. 

What do you think?

Building a bike from parts cost 3 times the price ,I wouldn't ,and parts can be back ordered for months

Aftermarket stuff is hit and miss

Posted (edited)

I built this bike from parts, frame, wheelset, engine brakes, every part was all purchased seperately.  It was surprisingly affordable, but I had to be patient, and be ready when clean take offs were available cheap.  If you just want to get it done, buy a whole bike, if you enjoy the hunt, building from parts can be fun.  It cost me about 3500 bucks to build it, sold it for 4000.  2010 xcw chassis, 2004 200sx engine, fun bike, but was one of two that I had, I liked the 13 chassis better, so this one got sold.

Not as exciting as a BRC 500, but, still a fun project.

A7D94510-E3D8-45EF-A1B8-6EA4B852ED9D.jpeg

Option B, buy new, and sell all your new take offs to a guy like me.  :)

Edited by 74one
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, buying a new bike and then selling take-offs is another option. I can see where the cylinder, piston, and crank, would be in demand, but what about the rest of the bike's components that I'd be upgrading? What total value would they generate? And the time to sell them could range from a few days, to a few months, to never, depending upon the price... Lot's of unknown if I were to take this path.  

Edited by MaineDrummer

7 hours ago, mog said:

Building a bike from parts cost 3 times the price ,I wouldn't ,and parts can be back ordered for months

Aftermarket stuff is hit and miss

I agree, building a whole new bike from stock parts would be cost prohibitive compared to buying just the bike, but I'd only need a relatively small amount of these parts for this build. I think there's enough sources online so buying all the OEM parts I would need wouldn't cause a lengthy time delay. I have a very good idea which aftermarket parts I'd want, and they'd all be of proven quality.

Posted (edited)

I feel like if you are going BRC money isn't much of an issue for you either way. I would probably go the parts route as I've always wanted to build a new bike from parts. 

If you were planning on going all stock except for the engine, the new bike would make more sense, but if you are going to re do the suspension, new tripe clamps, new pegs, lectron carb (forget what the carb setup is for the BRC) bars, etc. then it might be pretty close either way. 

If looking to save the most money then ideally find a newish used bike with a blown motor, probably find a racer's year old bike that is probably in otherwise good shape, then just strip it down and replace the parts that look iffy. 

Oh, and do does the BRC work on 17+ bikes now? I thought they were only available on 16' and older? 

Edited by Dirt Rider 12345

On 6/24/2019 at 2:47 PM, Dirt Rider 12345 said:

I feel like if you are going BRC money isn't much of an issue for you either way. I would probably go the parts route as I've always wanted to build a new bike from parts. 

If you were planning on going all stock except for the engine, the new bike would make more sense, but if you are going to re do the suspension, new tripe clamps, new pegs, lectron carb (forget what the carb setup is for the BRC) bars, etc. then it might be pretty close either way. 

If looking to save the most money then ideally find a newish used bike with a blown motor, probably find a racer's year old bike that is probably in otherwise good shape, then just strip it down and replace the parts that look iffy. 

Oh, and do does the BRC work on 17+ bikes now? I thought they were only available on 16' and older? 

I called and asked them and they claim the newer style bikes should be ready by this fall.  I am looking hard at doing one of these motors.  Hopefully people want to dump their carb'd bikes in favor of TPI and prices on them will go down.   I'd love to get a donor bike, rip out the motor and part out the rest of the bike and just swap motors.  I think the 500 would make an excellent dual sport bike.  

Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2019 at 12:00 PM, Sycamore said:

I called and asked them and they claim the newer style bikes should be ready by this fall.  I am looking hard at doing one of these motors.  Hopefully people want to dump their carb'd bikes in favor of TPI and prices on them will go down.   I'd love to get a donor bike, rip out the motor and part out the rest of the bike and just swap motors.  I think the 500 would make an excellent dual sport bike.  

I dont think so, I know I wont be selling my 19 carbed anytime soon. I think the 17-19 carbed are going to be fairly hard to get used until KTM finally figures out their shit with the TPI bikes. Might take a few years, I wouldnt count on the 2020s being perfect.

Edited by 240ZDAN

On 7/1/2019 at 9:00 AM, Sycamore said:

500 smokers were never known to be fuel efficient. I don't think they've fixed that problem.

I dont think so, I know I wont be selling my 19 carbed anytime soon. I think the 17-19 carbed are going to be fairly hard to get used until KTM finally figures out their shit with the TPI bikes. Might take a few years, I wouldnt count on the 2020s being perfect.
Lol the carb bike have around 9000 threads going on jetting , hardly perfect either
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, shrubitup said:

500 smokers were never known to be fuel efficient. I don't think they've fixed that problem.

Yeah my cr500 definately ate more gas then my 250/300s BUT I had the 500 geared really low PLUS it had a close ratio gearbox. My race pace cr500 mpg was 19 to 21 vs 23-25 on my 250/300w's.   With a W gearbox PLUS gearing it higher I think would even the playing field or better.  The low first gear is now less low and that motor will easily pull it especially with a rekluse.  Then add the rest of the W gearbox and I'm thinking it's pretty good.  I would like to hear from those with experience though.

Loping along forest roads with a counterbalanced 500cc motor is something I'd like to experience.  I miss the power of a 500 while barely twisting the throttle.  Doing 45mph would probably be just above idle.  lol

• Helpful 1

8 hours ago, 240ZDAN said:

I know your right, but selfishly hoping your wrong.  I absolutely LOVE my 18 300w.  It may be the last bike I buy.  I really like the concept of TPI it's the reality that gets in my way of owning one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mog said:
9 hours ago, 240ZDAN said:

Lol the carb bike have around 9000 threads going on jetting , hardly perfect either

Yeah the mook carb has been tuff to sort out for guys who are used to keihin.  Then add guys who arent really good with jetting to begin with and the added failure points and maintence doesnt look so bad on tpi.  OR just buy a keihin and jet like you used to and have the added benny of a wider swath elevation and temp changes over the mook.  It's what I did and I jet 2-4 times a year.

• Like 2

Hi,
I'm planning to build an SX or XC-W BRC 500, and will likely use a new bike instead of a used one to avoid any overly-stressed or damaged parts that aren't visible to the naked eye, yet could break prematurely and cause expensive engine damage. We know that not all riders are as concerned about proper maintenance and not abusing their bikes as some of us might be.
So considering that, and thinking about all the upgrades I'll be making to the bike (suspension, wheels, clutch, controls, etc., basically ANYTHING that the aftermarket can offer as a verifiable upgrade) I'm beginning to wonder if it even makes financial sense to start with a new bike and instead, just buy the KTM parts I need (frame, swing arm, gears & shafts, misc. internal engine and external parts) and build the bike from there. 
What do you think?

Lol this whole bike plan doesn’t make financial sense, no different then pretty well any other dirtbike. If you can afford a brc kit then I’m not sure why you are even concerned with the financials? You are looking at a $20k bike if you want aftermarket everything, may as well buy every part new separately but expect that to take months/years to complete.

11 hours ago, mog said:
14 hours ago, 240ZDAN said:

Im not going to start another carb vs FI debate, there are plenty of those around. I was just stating that I doubt people will dump their Carbed bikes (which may be jetted poorly from the factory, an easy fix... jet the stock carb or get a lectron/smart carb)  for a FI bike that has a whole list of issues which not even dealers can figure out. 

I love my Lectron HV 19 with RKtek head. I havent touched the carb the motor for 50 hours now.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 10:03 AM, shrubitup said:

Why is there a requirement to provide your donor motor to BRC when you buy the kit? Eliminates ability to switch back easily. :thumbsdn:

Yup, it's quite a commitment.  You have to know you like big bores, and know if you ever want to sell it your available pool of buyers is pretty small.  Everyone would like to have one but MOST think they are overkill and scared of them.  A shame, once you figure them out they are pussycats to ride.  

My tentative plan is for to go for a used 17-19 model year and wait for BRC to sell that kit.  Use that engine and part out the rest.  This way I can just swap motors between one bike.  This is likely going to be more expensive than I'd like so I may have to do the previous model for the cheaper build.  

One of these days I'm going to do baja and dont want to buy a 4s.  The BRC 500 should work great geared up vs my 18 300w

On 7/3/2019 at 1:03 PM, shrubitup said:

Why is there a requirement to provide your donor motor to BRC when you buy the kit? Eliminates ability to switch back easily. :thumbsdn:

I think they reuse the cases and entire tranny 

1 minute ago, Dirt Rider 12345 said:

I think they reuse the cases and entire tranny 

I guess I’m unclear. If brc ships the top end, wouldn’t I need my bottom end? I thought they had a option to ship parts vice build your provided motor? 

2 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

I guess I’m unclear. If brc ships the top end, wouldn’t I need my bottom end? I thought they had a option to ship parts vice build your provided motor? 

I think you can either ship your donor parts to them and let them build the engine or I suppose you could crate the whole bike if you wanted, or have them just ship the kit to you. 

I would probably ship them a whole donor engine and let them do their thing on it and get a fully working engine shipped back. 

• Like 1