rocco_

Do you think I should get a bike?

Sup thumpers,

I am debating hardcore whether or not to get a bike. If you're curious about which bike, I posted once already in 'What motorcycle should I buy?'. If this seems like a double post, my bad. Anyway, I'm torn right now, I have found a beautiful DRZ that looks in good condition, but just not sure if I should pull the plug. I know it will sell quick if I don't act now. I should have went and got my permit today but didn't realize how early the DMV closes.

My wife is kind of against the idea, as we want to have children soon. Does that make me selfish to want a bike? I am not a beginner on two wheels and believe I am a safe driver; should I not put my safety at risk? I know there are plenty of dads who ride two-wheels. I always loved riding dirt bikes and think this could be a good hobby for me, something to do to get away for awhile, even if it is a quick ride around town or through some back roads. I am currently in the whole 'adult' stage, if that makes sense. Wife, house, kids (very soon), bills, 9-5 job. My other hobbies have faded away over the years, maybe this will bring me the thrill I am looking for.

Someone convince me... or don't. I don't have anyone to ride with or anyone to really bounce this idea off of, but it doesn't hurt to hear what other people think.

Thanks,

Rocco

Posted (edited)

Life if dangerous. 

Motorcycling isn't really that dangerous, most of the risks can be moderated to a degree with gear and training.  The others IMO are no worse than the same risk you encounter getting up out of bed...

Often people have unreasonable fears and expect others to agree, my wife did that initially.  I told her that I'm not going to live my life based on her irrational fears. 

Discuss the risks, tell her how you're going to limit those risks.  Perhaps buy more/better life insurance to at least limit the fallout.

In the end my wife now enjoys her my time, darned near kicks me out of the house once a week... 

Edited by braindead0
  • Like 5

Just now, HellzyaaBuddy said:

Adults make decisions without asking the wife. Good luck.

Adults figure out how to make their wives thinks it is their idea.  That way everyone stays happy.

I've almost got my wife convinced that it is a good idea for me to get a KTM 790 Adventure R when I get the last purchase that I made which she thought was a good idea paid off next year (F150 Raptor). 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

If you're that nervous and and afraid that your wife will be upset or you'll get a boo boo then dont do it and continue to be a cuck. If you're a grown ass man then get a bike and if your wife doesn't get over it then your marriage probably wasnt gonna last anyway.

• Like 7

If you're that nervous and and afraid that your wife will be upset or you'll get a boo boo then dont do it and continue to be a cuck. If you're a grown ass man then get a bike and if your wife doesn't get over it then your marriage probably wasnt gonna last anyway.
Savage!
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yes! This is great. You all make valid points. That's all I needed, I want it. I just have to get to it before someone else does.

• Like 1

If you plan to get an off road bike? It would be great for one thing it will require you to stay in shape. The wife needs to give a little and understand youth is short lived so enjoy! Or I guess you could take up GOLF? 4!!! Talk about a head ache, should have worn my dirt bike helmet!

• Like 1

I was just in the same situation my fiancé did not want me to buy a bike in the worst way. She was worried that I would end up getting hurt probably didn’t help that I have scares from a Dirtbike wreck as a kid. But she is lenient with everything else I have a Yfz450 a rzr1000 and a jetski but she was not about me getting a Dirtbike. Normally I like to listen and I knew if I didn’t listen I would have hell to pay. But me being me I couldn’t get this one bike out of my head and I knew I had to have it so I did what any logical thing a guy would do and bought it and didn’t tell her until I got home with it. Her reaction wasn’t really what I was expecting I could tell she wasn’t thrilled but was still happy for me knowing it was my dream. Ever since then she’s been very supportive wanting to go to the track with me and even getting me stuff for the bike. I wish I could get her into the sport but she can’t even ride a bicycle lol. Moral of the story if you really want it buy it

• Like 3

My wife is awesome.  No only does she support things like riding and racing dirt bikes, she is always encouraging me to try more and more dangerous hobbies.   I mean I really have zero interest in BASE jumping, but she says I'm going to love it...

Hmmm...

Doc

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Doc_d said:

My wife is awesome.  No only does she support things like riding and racing dirt bikes, she is always encouraging me to try more and more dangerous hobbies.   I mean I really have zero interest in BASE jumping, but she says I'm going to love it...

Hmmm...

Doc

I'll bet the little lady was also thoughtful enough to insure your life for a couple of million too huh?

• Like 2

I bought my first "adult" motorcycle when my wife was 7 months pregnant with our second daughter. There used to be a time when my wife wasn't exactly thrilled about everything I was up to, but after I got my KTM running, she has shown some interest in riding dirt bikes herself. So not sure what the lesson of this is supposed to be, but go get the bike.

You do know you're asking "should I buy a bike" on a forum full of bike enthusiasts?

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Beware, this stuff is highly addictive. Once you get into it, it will cost you loads of cash, blood, sweat and tears but it will give you the best highs you could ever imagine.

• Like 4

I can't ask my wife permission to buy a bike. Mostly because it means if I get another one, she does too. 

787442890_wifeandi2.jpg.22595167935c5a912ad5672d9c728e14.jpg

• Like 6

I bought a bike and then spent another $6k in parts for it two weeks before closing on a house. Wife never batted an eye. One of a billion reasons why we're married.

• Like 2