87 XR600R project bike

A little starting fluid and it ran for a about 2sec... pulled the carbs and they need a bad cleaning. Does anyone have a good source for complete rebuild kits or is there a kit to convert it to a single carb??

No kit to single carb swap. You'd have to change the head and then figure out how to handle the shocks upper mount...I think only an issue if you wanted to use a fixed rez shock. You have a remote rez shock.
Get the duals clean and you will like them.
Soak everything in simple green. Rinse in boiling water. Don't get boiling water or carb cleaner on anything soft, rubber or plastic.
Keihin jets can be bought singularly anywhere.

Thanks! I read someplace else today about using simple green in an ultrasonic cleaner and doing a really good job so I’m gonna go grab one at Harbor freight and see how it works. Planning on calling Honda tomorrow seeing if they can still get the full gasket set including the O-rings for the carbs as they’re all dried up anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion of simple green! I stopped and harbor freight was out of the ultrasonic cleaner and I did a little bit more research. I found simple green pro HD is safe for aluminum it’s also purple funny enough. Home Depot here sells it so I picked up some this evening and have the secondary carb body and bowl soaking in a mix of that and water. I must say after about 15 min I took a brass brush to it and it is looking really good. I also read using a brass brush on iodized alum restores the shine, and after a small test it does indeed. I may see a small bench grinder with a brass wire wheel in my future.

On 6/27/2019 at 5:51 AM, Tphilli said:

One other item I need to address is the kick starter doesn’t always engage. Sometimes you have to gently try it until it bites. Looking for suggestions to fix it. I’m assuming it might be the spring but I’m not sure. Obviously I have to be able to kick it over to check the spark emoji12.png

Likely gear in Kickstarter mechanism be missing teeth.    

OK everyone I need some carb help. I decided to go ahead and pick up a pair of Maine jets from Honda today the stock ones are 122. When I looked at the old ones they were 160s. At least that’s what it looks like they show after I scrape off some of the corrosion. Do I need to go get a pair of 160s and put back in or readjust or do something different.

Calling Backwoods Bomber

(Dual carb OG)

122? Sounds way too small but I don't know.

I also believe a manual would have carb schematics and show you what goes in that hole...but go to www.hbhonda.com and you will find out there. And go back to that same Honda with that part #.

Any bike shop will have Keihin jets...but get Keihin and only Keihin or the #s might as well be A guess...but I'd think a hole for fuel is needed. .how's that carb get fed fuel?

Thanks! The fuel comes in the primary carb and is carried to the secondary via a tube with o rings. That hole is the other end of that. I took it to Desoto Honda and he and the service manual agree it’s open. Not sure why someone would have stuffed tape in it but I’m going to blow air into it and see for sure. It’s totally possible it’s ok and the one I looked at one eBay is open as well. My Honda service manual doesn’t give jet sizes and what they carry isn’t name brand. They said going that big implies an open air box for racing but he doesn’t know the bike as it is a bit older. I just want to be sure I have it set before I drop it back on and try to fire it up.

That big?

I think 122 is small

But I haven't touched dual carbs in years.

But its a 600 ..I got 2. 1 with a 155 stock airbox. And the other with a 160 and no airbox/pod filter...so 122 sounds small to me.. I have a 250 with a 140.

Good you figured out fuel tubing. I don't remember if its ran yet so I don't remember if you know the 2nd carb is getting fuel.

I looked a little more at my manual and did find a spec page.... 122 is what it says too. Still seems small but I guess it is a pair. There was no air filter in the bike so maybe they dropped the filter and increased the jets.

IMG_0001.JPG

Assuming it’s accurate and no service bulletins were released after print. The jets were also reclipped at 1 on both where the manual says 4 on the prim and 2 on the secondary. I reclipped at manuals recommended setting but going to see if Honda has release bulletins to review. Thanks for your help!

• Like 1