Heavy spot on off road knobbys

I actually am unbalanced.  I had really bad inner ear issues when I was a kid and have a fair amount of scar tissue.  My balance is not what I would like it to be, that's for sure.
I meant spiritually and emotionally, I wouldn't poke fun at physical deformity, not now that I'm part of that freakshow.

I honestly can't believe there are people that actually balance tires on a bike that is strictly off road and not hauling 100mph+ at Baja.
My gps says i hit 53 on a trail yesterday. On slimy clay mud. Usually id get 65 on that one spot.

I honestly can't believe there are people that actually balance tires on a bike that is strictly off road and not hauling 100mph+ at Baja.
I wasn't a believer until putting the ride-on goop in the front on my wr250f after my first day out in Grand Junction (thought I had a slow leak). Next day same type of terrain and speeds bike felt smoother.
All other variables stayed the same, I'm a believer

I’ve ran without a front rim lock causing the stem to just about rip off but caught it in time, so no running without one. 

Ive ridden a bike with two rim locks on the rear with a hd tube and you could feel the difference. I’ve had good luck balancing & one rim lock per wheel.

Between the trails on asphalt, going 80+ mph prerunning it’s worth it to balance both rims. I’m sure the wheel brgs will last longer too. 

I knew a factory Honda atv rider that had rims balanced saying the engineers wanted rolling efficiency while at speed, so they went to  the  extra effort.

Im sure running a nitro mousse it would be a big benefit keeping heat down from excessive vibration/ unbalanced 

All you need to do is static balance your tires, adhesive weights are avail from a lot of local and online sources.  I use 1/4 and 1/2 oz weights.  Disconnect the chain and retract the pads so the wheel can freely rotate. The heavy spot will most likely be the rim clamp so best to start with it at 90 degrees and then add weights opposite until the wheel doesn't rotate.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

I need a mousse

How well do they hold up to desert riding? 3rd and 4th gear kind of speeds?

20190616_160323.thumb.jpg.8b638fb5b064948f6fc0166405e96ebe.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The balance vs don't balance thing on a dirt bike was discussed at length a few times here in the past, I remember one pretty long thread.

BTW, the consensus in past threads is no need to balance off road tires.  Just make sure the wheel is true.

Edited by BOAB
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BOAB said:

The balance vs don't balance thing on a dirt bike was discussed at length a few times here in the past, I remember one pretty long thread.

BTW, the consensus in past threads is no need to balance off road tires.  Just make sure the wheel is true.

Its NOT about need.... I WANT to balance my wheels!

😜

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Much better than stick on weights especially if only running one rim lock. 

Screenshot_2019-06-29-12-52-28.png

• Like 4

15 hours ago, couchtater said:

I need a mousse

How well do they hold up to desert riding? 3rd and 4th gear kind of speeds?

20190616_160323.thumb.jpg.8b638fb5b064948f6fc0166405e96ebe.jpg

Glad to see I’m not the only one ! 

I believe in nitro mousses. They last about 2-3 tires if lubed regularly. Then you stuff them with an piece of an old mousse when they shrink or removal of a damaged section. You tube vid by ty Davis zip tie racing shows how to keep them running racing. And a couple pics of a mousse ran not lubed properly

EB7D7703-DDFB-475F-BBC1-87AFFAD36179.jpeg

FAB995FE-B607-4C7E-A26C-90DA6F392744.jpeg

D6EA818D-22E5-474F-A802-BD321BCE6189.jpeg

Edited by 5Rs
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, seer said:

Much better than stick on weights especially if only running one rim lock. 

Screenshot_2019-06-29-12-52-28.png

Probably the route I will be going. Thanks for reinforcing the idea

Some tyres have the light part of the tyre marked- rather than the heavy.

I think checking with manufacturer on a specific tyre is a good idea.

I like to balance mine, or those that I ride on the street a short distance.  Certainly makes a difference (or longer travel on gravel roads at 30-45mph)

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RichBaker said:

Your loss....

Very true.. I leave my rim locks in and just balance the wheel. The rim locks are so heavy they make the tire leap off the ground at around 45 miles an hour or so. You don't feel it much in the dirt it's true but they do help there also. One thing to remember is your balancing out the rim lock and when you change tires you don't have to rebalance as the minor imbalance is no big deal compared to the rim lock 4-6 oz's. I use the motion pro wheel balancer and use it on my Street bikes too.

• Like 1

Your a knuckle head if you don't....  or ride slow.  Just static balance on the axle in a vice, the rim lock doesn't move, so you almost never have to move the wts ag'in.  I just use sheet lead, cut and double sided taped to the rim, it has never come off.  ...... and my bike is as smooth as glass @ 70!

Balance the wheels by placing them in the rear swing arm and free to rotate. The unbalanced wheel will slowly rotate until it stops, wheel bottom is your heavy spot. Add weights in various locations until the wheel will not rotate on its own. 

Posted (edited)

When wheels are balanced they are not fighting the suspension. Common sense dictates that suspension will work and perform better if' it's not fighting with unbalanced wheels. A hopping wheel in turns etc is anything but ideal, robs HP transfer to forward momentum, traction, and absolutely makes a difference. I had a KX500 that was 9oz out of balance on the real wheel from the factory. On a dry lake bed over 40 it hopped like a pogo stick! They used the rim lock hole next to the valve stem, so moving it to the other hole made balancing much easier.

Edited by mrdsee
  • Helpful 2

On June 28, 2019 at 1:28 PM, 5Rs said:

Certain tires maybe only dot tires have a marker indicating the heavy spot on a tire, helping to find the correct balancing. Running a maxxis desert it & goldentyre fatty and didn’t find any indicators. Just trying to calm down the paint shaker when on a ride on asphalt, without a tackle box of weights. 

Some tires have a marker indicating the light spot, not the heavy spot.

I firmly believe that front and rear wheel balancing is essential with single rim lock wheels and especially with Tubliss if riding at speeds over about 45mph.

• Like 1

im more curious on what gearing your 450x has, if I gear mine highway friendly 1st is like running speed at idle and stock gearing doesn't allow for highway cruseing 

At the risk of going off-topic, I would like to know how a heavy duty zip tie could possibly help with a flat tire.

4 minutes ago, DGXR said:

At the risk of going off-topic, I would like to know how a heavy duty zip tie could possibly help with a flat tire.

Several wrapped around the tire and rim can keep the tire from coming off the rim allowing you to ride back to your camp/vehicle..albeit slowly.  Even with a rim lock, a completely flat tire will try to dismount itself..

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2