gooch

Hauling with a receiver rack

Has anyone been pulled over for hauling your bike on a receiver carrier and blocking the vehicles license plate and or lights?

I usually haul in the back of my truck but am wanting to use my 4Runner to explore places. I don’t really want to leave my truck parked in certain areas

I have a half dozen times. I hate seeing my bike back there, no matter how many straps I put on it.  I sometimes leave the trailer at home to save money on the ferry.  I’ve never had a problem legally. 

You probably won't get a ticket unless someone rear ends you, then you're fooked.

8 hours ago, gooch said:

Has anyone been pulled over for hauling your bike on a receiver carrier and blocking the vehicles license plate and or lights?

I usually haul in the back of my truck but am wanting to use my 4Runner to explore places. I don’t really want to leave my truck parked in certain areas

Decades ago I got stopped by WSP because the bike on bumper carriers blocked the brakes lights and license plate, to avoid a ticket I had to take the bike apart and put it in the trunk.

I haul with a hitch carrier on a SUV and not had any problems, but: I mounted trailer lights and license plate on the carrier, they just plug into the SUV's trailer plug. I added extra straps; two go from each end of the carrier to the SUV's roof rack to reduce side to side rocking. Also extra tie downs on the bike. Also a pad between the right handle bar and the SUV rear window. It does travels well with at least 3 round trip between AZ and WA, 1,500 miles each way.

I haul almost exclusively with a hitch hauler (Moto Tote brand) and I have lights on mine. I take the ferry and drive everywhere (including through downtown Seattle) with no issues. We went to California in 2005 with this setup and had no problem even after being followed by a CHP for a few miles.

The only issues that have happened is that the lights are fairly exposed, and I have broken them myself just by bumping into them. Also, my friends were borrowing my van with the moto tote and got rear ended. The car was more damaged than the tote, and the lights took the worst of it. It's bent, but not too badly.

Tl;dr: no issues over the last dozen years, but I recommend putting supplemental lights on the hauler, and maybe put the plate on it as Chuck as done.

I used LED boat trailer lights, a little more money but more durable. I fabbed a riser for the left side to provide more ground clearance for the plate.

I've logged thousands of miles with one with zero issues. But, you can see my vehicle taillights and I have reflective tap on the carrier. None the less, zero issues in many states, including California.

• Like 3

I've never had an issue hauling my bike on my 4runner with a black widow hitch hauler. I've thought about putting some lights on it and possibly moving my license plate but I figure I'll wait until I get stopped for me to do something about it.

I put lights on my hitch carrier to keep me on the right side of a lawsuit if someone rear ends my truck. If a LEO ever stops me for a license plate infraction, I'll tie wrap the plate below one of the lights.

I got pulled over in NJ once in my Wrangler.  It wasn't my license plate.  That could be read easily through the spokes.  It was because my back tire of the bike was covering one of my taillights.  I did what some people here did.  I put conspicuous (AKA Candy Cane) tape across the edge of the carrier and then went to Autozone and picked up some taillights and a wiring harness that plugged into my receiver.   Problem solved.

I've got a very sturdy steel one for sale that is already wired with functioning lights - plug and play. $40. Can deliver to Everett July 10 onward. Available in Kitsap before then.

I just prefer my pickup truck over the hitch carrier.

Rear you shouldn't have any problems. 

Front is another story. 2 things to take into consideration. One, is it blocks your vehicle from getting cool air and can cause high temps for the engine if you have an older vehicle or something like a van. Two, visibility and lights for night driving. While you probably won't get pulled over and less likely ticketed for one up front, most hitch haulers for the front have the bike up very high where its blocking half the windshield and seeing for the driving can be difficult depending what your driving. At best you'd get pulled over for that reason. But you really shouldn't have any issues for either front or rear unless the cop is having a bad day and decides to pick on you

No. Never hasseled, but im not DWB either. YMMV