Jump to content

2020 300 info

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, dirtbird said:

Seen on fb... 

Screenshot_20190705_113637_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Sounds like all new bikes.. hmm 🤔 big changes at least..  ahh more anticipation.. more drama..

Best thing that I think is still true is it’s still carbed 2 strokes.. Still my guess of course. So we saw pics of Herreras new 2020 bike..

So maybe cb 2 t? And another upgraded version of Sachs? Different frame and motor???? 

Naaaaa maybe just Some upgrades??

Just wait a couple weeks and we will see what really comes out.. no guessing needed then.  I probably will just service my OC sachs forks and sachs shock on my 15’ and watch all the action from the sidelines . 

:ride: Dirtbird I know you usually always have the jump on knowing inside Beta stuff for many years now.. I know you have to be respectful until the factory announcement.. You did still figure a way to stir the pot though.. :ride:

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Cullins said:

I’m actually surprised they haven’t gone to aluminum frames. Beta makes awesome aluminum frames for their trials bikes. They work great and we’ve never had to replace a frame on an aluminum framed bike, unlike steel framed bikes. 

Beta also purchased Hydro Forming machines and started using that on the trials bikes in 2013, I figured we’d start seeing that used on the Enduro line by now. 

 

At least in the MX circles, the momentum is swinging away from aluminum with the success of the KTM's and Husky's steel frames.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnny Depp said:

At least in the MX circles, the momentum is swinging away from aluminum with the success of the KTM's and Husky's steel frames.

When the first new MX bike is developed with a steel frame I will heartily agree with you. In the States KTM's results in the 450 class benefit from having a handful of very talented, and for the most part healthy, riders (Musquin, Osborne, Anderson, Webb), but they are suffering mightily with the new frame in the 250 class.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, motoxgiant said:

When the first new MX bike is developed with a steel frame I will heartily agree with you. In the States KTM's results in the 450 class benefit from having a handful of very talented, and for the most part healthy, riders (Musquin, Osborne, Anderson, Webb), but they are suffering mightily with the new frame in the 250 class.

The Japanese and TM are unlikely to change, cost and conceding their engineering position are a few of the reasons it won't likely happen. The same reason Honda runs the dual exhaust because they have "owned" the concept. The manufacturer's with aluminum frames have been on a quest to add more flex ever since they came out. The Steel framed bikes keep trying to eliminate flex. Both types have many photos of bikes broken in half. Steel frames stretch with top riders in time but seem to deliver "feel", Webb is an example. 

Yamaha has owned the 250's for a while, and it's the engine and suspension that has made that happen, the frame has certainly gotten the job done. 5 out of the top 10 last week at Southwick on Yamaha's, a track where suspension and power rule. Osborne did fine on the Husky 250, and they were up front with Musquin and Roczen when they were on them, so that class is more prone to cherry picking with top talent like Herlings and Prado. 

 There is certainly a place for both in the market, and it's more the rider than the bike at the top level in most cases. I would not think Beta stands anything to gain by going aluminum framed, and this is coming the same guy that doesn't think counter balancer's will magically transform the 2t's that are already winning into something better. Without a red frame I might not have bought one 😀

'

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Piney Woods said:

You should be riding, its so nice and cool out there!

Exactly, just mowing the lawn and walking the dog to stay outdoors 😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnny Depp said:

The Japanese and TM are unlikely to change, cost and conceding their engineering position are a few of the reasons it won't likely happen. The same reason Honda runs the dual exhaust because they have "owned" the concept. The manufacturer's with aluminum frames have been on a quest to add more flex ever since they came out. The Steel framed bikes keep trying to eliminate flex. Both types have many photos of bikes broken in half. Steel frames stretch with top riders in time but seem to deliver "feel", Webb is an example. 

Yamaha has owned the 250's for a while, and it's the engine and suspension that has made that happen, the frame has certainly gotten the job done. 5 out of the top 10 last week at Southwick on Yamaha's, a track where suspension and power rule. Osborne did fine on the Husky 250, and they were up front with Musquin and Roczen when they were on them, so that class is more prone to cherry picking with top talent like Herlings and Prado. 

 There is certainly a place for both in the market, and it's more the rider than the bike at the top level in most cases. I would not think Beta stands anything to gain by going aluminum framed, and this is coming the same guy that doesn't think counter balancer's will magically transform the 2t's that are already winning into something better. Without a red frame I might not have bought one 😀

'

Don’t mean to turn this into a frame debate. I actually believe both frame types produce great handling bikes!

Earlier in the year a lot of people asked Ty how it was adjusting to an aluminum framed bike. He was like, I don’t know, the TM is different but it handles great, my Beta’s also handled great. They are just different. 

I can also say a Beta and TM are much closer in handling characteristics than say a Beta and KTM are. For Ty going from Beta to TM was easy. He was up to full speed in 3 laps. On the other hand he has never felt comfortable on any KTM two stroke over 200cc. 

In the end I’ll say this. We’ve swapped out A LOT of steel frames on bikes. Both “regular bikes” and trials bikes. Never once had to swap out an aluminum frame. 

I don’t see Beta going to aluminum at this point. It would probably be a bad marketing move due to perception at this point. However if they did it wouldn’t be something to be afraid of👍

There is no chance they are going fuel injected on the 2t’s. We where told at the dealers meeting that they are holding out as long as possible.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, motoxgiant said:

 In the States KTM's results in the 450 class benefit from having a handful of very talented riders, and more importantly, Aldon Baker's training program.

Fixed.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm pretty excited to see what comes out for the 2020 lineup.  I thought the 2T motor / clutch redesign in 2018 was pretty major and it made me buy another one. I doubt they will do another clutch / motor update for 2020. 

Beta has started doing a suspension program which I think is super cool. I've got a sneaky suspicion they might offer an xtrainer with the factory shock and boano /sachs fork kit.

I really do not want a fuel injected 2 stroke.. (but I know it's coming damn it) and I hate aluminum frames.. do we want our foot pegs mounted on /into aluminum?  everything that bolts to the frame would be bolted into aluminum... not fun I say.

I just dont see beta ever ruining their enduro bikes with an aluminum frame. no way.

Edited by swamp123
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

momentum is swinging away from aluminum

Even MotoGP frame engineers are coming to realize that all aluminum frames are not the way forward. KTM and Ducati are both running steel.

"When looking back, the path of progress is never a straight line", Kevin Cameron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, swamp123 said:

I thought the 2T motor / clutch redesign in 2018 was pretty major

Me too! :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I was getting up this morning to head down to Reno. The shop called last week and said my bike had came in, and it would be ready for pickup on this Tuesday. Of course the first email I looked at was the new 2020 Beta bikes, and of course the 300 2T has the counter balancer.  So now I have to decided what I am going to do, I really don't want the shop there in Reno to be mad at me, and they have all been super nice to deal with. I am not sure what happens when they order a bike in, and the buyer backs out of the deal? Also I would guess I would lose my 1000 bucks I have put down on the bike.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, rocky4by said:

Well I was getting up this morning to head down to Reno. The shop called last week and said my bike had came in, and it would be ready for pickup on this Tuesday. Of course the first email I looked at was the new 2020 Beta bikes, and of course the 300 2T has the counter balancer.  So now I have to decided what I am going to do, I really don't want the shop there in Reno to be mad at me, and they have all been super nice to deal with. I am not sure what happens when they order a bike in, and the buyer backs out of the deal? Also I would guess I would lose my 1000 bucks I have put down on the bike.  

Likely a non refundable deposit, and a sour relationship. they will sell the bike regardless. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2019 at 6:56 PM, Beta300recat said:

Even MotoGP frame engineers are coming to realize that all aluminum frames are not the way forward. KTM and Ducati are both running steel.

"When looking back, the path of progress is never a straight line", Kevin Cameron

Totally trying to turn this into a MotoGP thread.  Ducati dropped the steel trellis for their MotoGP bike in 2009.  They went to a carbon monocoque where the steering head and swingarm were basically bolted to the motor.  That lasted till 2012 when they went to an aluminum frame like every other bike.  They are still on the monocoque with the superbikes, but dropped the trellis in 2011 (or 12) with the panigale.  KTM is not lighting the paddock on fire with their steel bikes in Moto2 or MotoGP.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rocky4by said:

Well I was getting up this morning to head down to Reno. The shop called last week and said my bike had came in, and it would be ready for pickup on this Tuesday. Of course the first email I looked at was the new 2020 Beta bikes, and of course the 300 2T has the counter balancer.  So now I have to decided what I am going to do, I really don't want the shop there in Reno to be mad at me, and they have all been super nice to deal with. I am not sure what happens when they order a bike in, and the buyer backs out of the deal? Also I would guess I would lose my 1000 bucks I have put down on the bike.  

Just think if it were you  and make your decisions accordingly. :ride:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×