2018 350 EXC-F: Oil in airbox?

Did my third oil change last night at 28 hrs, performing the change according to the service manual (5 minute ride beforehand, 1 liter of high performance oil, draining from all three places, laying the bike on its right side to put a portion of the liter into the oil filter reservoir, new filter, etc).  Today, after a two hour ride on dirt, while changing out the air filter, I noticed a little bit of liquid at the bottom of the airbox.  Wiping with a clean rag, it appeared to be engine oil, which I guess could happen if I overfilled it.  I bought the bike after its first oil change so I don't know how that one went, but have measured out exactly 1 liter both times I have changed the oil.  However, it completely fills the sight glass when the bike is vertical (shows about halfway to 2/3 in the red circle when on the side stand).  This time, I accidentally filled a little more than half (manual says fill approx 1/3) in the oil filter reservoir, adding the rest through the oil plug.  

...Which brings me to my questions:  

Should I go by the 1 liter, or the sight glass?  A cursory search on TT says the glass is inaccurate, but I'm worried about the potential problems from overfilling with oil.  If 1 liter is prescribed, how could that be too much?

Should I be worried about the liquid in the airbox?  Bike seems to be running perfectly.

Sorry for what may seem like novice questions--I'm pretty new to this.  Thanks in advance for your time.

Go by the site glass, with motor hot,  the bike is measured in quarts, Litres are more.

if your filling  and measuring bike on the side stand, it will be over full . the bike should be upright and level

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spud786 said:

Go by the site glass, with motor hot,  the bike is measured in quarts, Litres are more.

if your filling  and measuring bike on the side stand, it will be over full . the bike should be upright and level

I realize a liter is more volume than a quart, but the manual says the oil capacity is 1000 ml, or 1 liter.  

3 hours ago, mhk said:

I realize a liter is more volume than a quart, but the manual says the oil capacity is 1000 ml, or 1 liter.  

I guess they've revised, motor only holds 33 oz, nice  , Im wondering if the 2020 500's are the same

Could the oil in your air box be some runoff from your air filter??  I get that frequently.

I would go by the site glass.

Edited by travertt
  • Helpful 1

5 minutes ago, travertt said:

Could the oil in your air box be some runoff from your air filter??  I get that frequently.

I would go by the site glass.

Yes a liter is more than a quart...but only by about 5.5 milliliters...roughly 1 teaspoon....can't see that making much difference anywhere.

My filter oil is pinkish, but I guess if it was exposed to a little dust, or oozed from a filter with some dirt in it, it could appear brown.  This would bum me out because the oil was inside the air boot and I hate the thought of dirt getting past the filter.  

If the sight glass is the better indicator of the appropriate amount of oil, it kind of ticks me off that the owner's manual doesn't mention it.  I acquired a 1000 mL  measuring cup for this express purpose, and I guess I don't understand how this can be too much, especially if I went by the book.  I don't know . . . if I blow a gasket, I'm going to blow a gasket.

My filter oil is pinkish, but I guess if it was exposed to a little dust, or oozed from a filter with some dirt in it, it could appear brown.  This would bum me out because the oil was inside the air boot and I hate the thought of dirt getting past the filter.  

Hey mhk....

I didn't realize that the oil you found was inside the air box. I assumed it was on the outside...which is why I brought up the issue of oil from the air filter.  To be clear, and this probably wont make you feel better...I have never found air filter oil on the inside of the air box.....so no brilliant ideas from me on that score.

I have always just used the site glass as a reference...I set up for between 1/2 and 3/4 of the way up on level ground.  My bike doesn't burn a drop of oil and I've never had an engine issue of any kind.  I think you may be worrying a bit too much about getting the exact quantity as stated in the manual.  You cannot get all the oil out during an oil change.....there will always be a certain amount of old oil in there....so don't worry if you don't use an exact full liter. If you change your oil frequently (as dictated by your riding situation), using a quality product and fill it up using the site glass....you will be fine.

Also, I see you quoted my post before I was able to complete my edit.  For the record, I made an error in my initial post. A liter is about 55 milliliters larger than a quart...not 5.5 milliliters...so 55 milliliters likely would make a small difference in the site glass.

Like stated, you prob used too much rim grease on your filter and it got hot and ran into air boot a bit. Note to self. Don’t use so much. Cheers.

10 hours ago, cmbthumper said:

Are you sure?

IMG_8663.thumb.JPG.dbfa4aeb3c9fd4867550886ba2b91190.JPG

Am I sure that it doesn't mention the sight glass in the "changing the oil" section as trumping the 1 liter refill instruction for proper oil refill?  Yes.

Listen--I'm not trying to get into a pissing match about it; I'm just trying to figure out whether I'm screwing up my bike by putting in 1 liter when I change my oil, and if the oil in the boot is a sign of a bigger problem.  Hopefully it's rim grease residue (I don't use more than a small bead), or nothing to worry about.  

Thanks for all the feedback.  I know I have a lot to learn--just trying to maintain the bike like I should.  

On 7/3/2019 at 2:47 AM, mhk said:

Should I go by the 1 liter, or the sight glass?  A cursory search on TT says the glass is inaccurate, but I'm worried about the potential problems from overfilling with oil.  If 1 liter is prescribed, how could that be too much?

Should I be worried about the liquid in the airbox?  Bike seems to be running perfectly.

Sorry for what may seem like novice questions--I'm pretty new to this.  Thanks in advance for your time.

Its simple, as you just over filled your bike. When the sight glass is full, its over filled. The level should not be much higher than half the sight glass (engine warm, bike standing upright with both wheels on the ground). If the manual says a liter or a quart plays no role. Just take the sight glass as reference. Clean the oil out of your air box, correct the oil level. Then ride and have fun. ;)

• Like 3

On 7/4/2019 at 5:28 AM, Doc Brown said:

Its simple, as you just over filled your bike. When the sight glass is full, its over filled. The level should not be much higher than half the sight glass (engine warm, bike standing upright with both wheels on the ground). If the manual says a liter or a quart plays no role. Just take the sight glass as reference. Clean the oil out of your air box, correct the oil level. Then ride and have fun. ;)

Agreed ?

• Like 1

Yeah don’t over think it. Your never gonna get all the oil out of it.
Drain it, partially fill the filter cavity, button everything up then add a qt and then use site glass for reference.
Once it’s halfway up the glass I fire it up and run it for a minute or two. Then add as needed.
As long as your in the ballpark ur fine.

• Like 2

I've had oil on my kickstand spring. I'm guessing it's leaking out of the airbox. Pretty sure that resulted from a few upside-down tumbles. 

14 minutes ago, sorbales said:

I've had oil on my kickstand spring. I'm guessing it's leaking out of the airbox. Pretty sure that resulted from a few upside-down tumbles. 

Yep, that can happen. I had that too after an off where the bike stopped up side down. When I rode it to the van it smoked like an WW2 smoke launcher... guys behind me didm't think its funny :smirk: