2007 KTM 525 EXC Suspension for Heavier guys!

I'm 6ft and 240lb's and ride a lot. A lot of 'Oregon High Desert' Single track and there's a fair bit of Rock and Whoops and all around heavy riding. I am finding that my EXC is just not taking it the way is used to. Also the guy I bought it from weighs in at about 180Lb's which the bike was originally slung for. I was wondering if there are any larger guys and if they have done any Suspension mods t o the 07 KTM 535, if so what and the cost?

20190616_180549.jpg

that looks like black butte/ mt jeff in the background.  you must be in the Bend area?  Me too.  

I don't have an '07 but I'm about 230 geared up and put heavier springs on my 2018 350 exc-f.  Rear spring was about $130, and front springs were about $110 (from Slavens Racing--their website has a loaded rider weight chart, or you can just give them a call).  Install is easy, and well-documented on YouTube.  I set the sag according to the owner's manual, and you can tweak it from there.  Hit me up if you want to ride sometime.

• Helpful 1

Sure is Black Butte and My. Jeff in the background! I was riding at Cline Butte that day! I live in Sisters.

Thanks for the info! I am going to give them a call tomorrow and chat with them! I'll keep you posted on what happens and Hell yeah let's ride! Where do you normally ride? China Hat? EFR? My go to spot is Cline because it's 10 mins from my house.

• Like 1

Done! Ordered the Front Springs and Rear Spring!!! That was nice and easy!! Thanks a lot!!! Gotta love Thumpertalk! I have been a long time reader of information...This was my first post and BOOM! Within 24hr's helped by a guy who lives up the road from me! Awesome and thank you MHK!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pattymelt said:

Sure is Black Butte and My. Jeff in the background! I was riding at Cline Butte that day! I live in Sisters.

Thanks for the info! I am going to give them a call tomorrow and chat with them! I'll keep you posted on what happens and Hell yeah let's ride! Where do you normally ride? China Hat? EFR? My go to spot is Cline because it's 10 mins from my house.

I mostly ride Chainbreaker single track (Snowy Creek Ditch is the highlight) and other trails East of the sisters and West of Highway 20, and double track between Bend and Sisters (Three Creeks/Tam Macarthur/Triangle Butte), up to Happy Valley and down to Tumalo Falls--that has kept me busy over the past year or so (I'm new to the sport), and the access is 3 miles from my garage.  

I have 525 exc and am about the same size and weight. I found you need about 15% heavier springs front and back. When you change the springs on the front, change to SKF seals and try 7.5 wt. fork oil. I think you will find a great improvement over the original. Good luck.   

Awesome! This is super helpful ervinrif! I have just bought the SKF Heavy Duty Seals and Wipers...Quick question, how many liters of 7.5w do you think I'll need??

Bigger springs are a must, but getting a local tuner to revalve for your skill and ability will make it much better. FYI I’m 240 also and had many bikes revalved and resprung. Makes a huge difference.

Hey Timmiam!! Thanks for this! I have already Ordered New Springs front and back from Slaven and ordered new Seals from Cycle Buy with heavier weight oil so I'm gonna see how that goes! Now that being said I do have a friend who is in the market for a Husqvarna and will most likely need some suspension work done! ;) And hell yeah see you on the trails! Going to be hitting up EFR tomorrow out of Camp #2

Awesome! I actually have a 250 XC-W as well! We can fully get some Braaap time in!

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 8:47 PM, Pattymelt said:

Awesome! This is super helpful ervinrif! I have just bought the SKF Heavy Duty Seals and Wipers...Quick question, how many liters of 7.5w do you think I'll need??

It will take two bottles of fork oil. I run mine a 5.5" of with the springs out and the fork fully compressed. I do not use any pre-load on the fork springs. A lot of guys run their fork oil at 6".  Try it, I think you will like it. 

Update! Bought the Slavens Racing Fork Springs and Rear Springs and also bought the 

On 7/5/2019 at 9:13 AM, Pattymelt said:

Hey Timmiam!! Thanks for this! I have already Ordered New Springs front and back from Slaven and ordered new Seals from Cycle Buy with heavier weight oil so I'm gonna see how that goes! Now that being said I do have a friend who is in the market for a Husqvarna and will most likely need some suspension work done! ;) And hell yeah see you on the trails! Going to be hitting up EFR tomorrow out of Camp #2

OH THIS WORKED!!! It worked wonderfully! It's a whole new world for me on this bike now!!!! Whoops, bumps, humps, rocks, drops..All of it! An absolute pleasure!!!! Super Stoked at how well the bike is riding now!! THanks!