CRF-150, kx85, or yz85?

Hey everybody, recently my son has been wanting to get a bigger bike. He has been looking a lot at two strokes because he wants something different. He has had four strokes for a while and loves fixing them. He says part of the reason he would like a two stroke is he wants to learn about them through maintenance.  So, we have been looking for used bikes, mainly kx and yz 85cc two strokes, but today, we stumbled upon a CRF-150 at a good price. I think he would rather get a two stroke, but is open to the 150 as well. FYI- he has a 125 four stroke right now and rides it on trails as well as throughout our little neighborhood. Let me know what you guys think- any tips or info would be appreciated!

Purchased KX85 in January for my Son. First bike. became small by April. He's 14 and 5'4". Have a KX100 now and he loves it. They are few and far between because they're an in-between bike that people tend to hang on to. I already have nearly a grand more into it than KBB value so I'd rather just keep it and urge the smaller daughters to try riding it.

If shopping two stroke minis, get one with a power valve!! The YZ85 didn't have one until 2019. KX85 and KX100 both have power valves. So does the RM85L.

4 minutes ago, Solomon Ralston said:

Would you mind elaborating on why the power valve is important? I have also looked at cr85s- do those have power valves?

Makes the power curve more linear and useful. Sudden blasts of power are reduced. CR85 does not have a power valve.

1 minute ago, Solomon Ralston said:

Okay thanks- also do you think there is any way at all a 125 two stroke would fit him? He is about 5 foot 3 and small for his age but I expect him to grow a good bit.

When he's 5'5" yes. They weight about 40 pounds more than a KX100 but you said he was riding DRZ125 which weighs 25 pounds more than the KX100. Many of the 125s are 38+ inch tall seats. I have a shorter year KTM at 36 inches and my son can tippy toe that now in MX boots at 5'4".

Just now, Solomon Ralston said:

Alright- but would an 85 or 100 two stroke be a better investment than a Crf 150? He would mainly use it for trail riding and cruising around our small neighbourhood.

The 100 can be made into a good intermediate level trail bike. I personally would not buy a used CRF150R because the motors aren't as durable and require expensive rebuilds. The CRF150R is difficult to re-start when hot too.

FYI....you probably need to be a bit more precise in your model designations when you talk about CRF150 since Honda makes 3 models:

• CRF150R water cooled 4 stroke 17"/14" MX bike
  • CRF150RB  watercooled 4 stroke 19"/16" MX bike
  • CRF150F aircooled 4 stroke 19"/16" trail bike

If he is mainly doing trail riding and is 5' 3" and you expect him to grow, I would keep looking for KX100 as a move up bike.  The 100 2t will have a slight bit more low end torque than the 85 2t, but the better part is the wheels will be 19"/16" vs. 17"/14" on the typical 85 2t.  The bigger the wheel the better it goes over obstacles when trail riding.  The lb/hp ratio of the 85/100 's is almost identical to the 125 2t's.  And, just so you know it, they absolutely rip compared to his aircooled 125 4 stroke trail bike he is riding right now.  Frankly, make sure he is currently 'outriding' the motor, brakes and suspension of his aircooled trail bike before moving him up to the 85/100 2t.  And, make sure he is an aggressive rider/personality.  Google some videos of the KX100.  You will be both impressed and stunned about how quick these things are (27-29 HP in stock form and nearly all of it at the top end).

Some additional info.  Here is a list of large wheel (19"/16") MX bikes:

• KTM 85 SX...large wheel (they sell a version with 19/16)
  • KTM 105 SX/XC
  • RM85L
  • RM100 (older model offered by Suzuki that was basically the KX100 in different color) pretty much replace by RM85L
  • YZ85 (with large wheel kit - fairly rare as the kit itself with larger wheels and longer swingarm was over $1000)
  • CR85RB (I think Honda stopped offering in 2007 and replaced with CRF150RB 4t)
  • KX100

One last note, on the KX100 it comes stock with a recommended a NGK 10.5 spark plug that runs fairly cold and it's pretty easy to foul that spark plug while trail riding.  We used an NGK 8 or 9 plug when trail riding and didn't have anymore fouling issues.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

FYI....you probably need to be a bit more precise in your model designations when you talk about CRF150 since Honda makes 3 models:
  • CRF150R water cooled 4 stroke 17"/14" MX bike
  • CRF150RB  watercooled 4 stroke 19"/16" MX bike
  • CRF150F aircooled 4 stroke 19"/16" trail bike
If he is mainly doing trail riding and is 5' 3" and you expect him to grow, I would keep looking for KX100 as a move up bike.  The 100 2t will have a slight bit more low end torque than the 85 2t, but the better part is the wheels will be 19"/16" vs. 17"/14" on the typical 85 2t.  The bigger the wheel the better it goes over obstacles when trail riding.  The lb/hp ratio of the 85/100 's is almost identical to the 125 2t's.  And, just so you know it, they absolutely rip compared to his aircooled 125 4 stroke trail bike he is riding right now.  Frankly, make sure he is currently 'outriding' the motor, brakes and suspension of his aircooled trail bike before moving him up to the 85/100 2t.  And, make sure he is an aggressive rider/personality.  Google some videos of the KX100.  You will be both impressed and stunned about how quick these things are (27-29 HP in stock form and nearly all of it at the top end).
Some additional info.  Here is a list of large wheel (19"/16") MX bikes:
  • KTM 85 SX...large wheel (they sell a version with 19/16)
  • KTM 105 SX/XC
  • RM85L
  • RM100 (older model offered by Suzuki that was basically the KX100 in different color) pretty much replace by RM85L
  • YZ85 (with large wheel kit - fairly rare as the kit itself with larger wheels and longer swingarm was over $1000)
  • CR85RB (I think Honda stopped offering in 2007 and replaced with CRF150RB 4t)
  • KX100
One last note, on the KX100 it comes stock with a recommended a NGK 10.5 spark plug that runs fairly cold and it's pretty easy to foul that spark plug while trail riding.  We used an NGK 8 or 9 plug when trail riding and didn't have anymore fouling issues.
Agreed, i have hurt myself on an old kx80, people underestimate how fast an 80cc 2t bike is.