DR650 Clutch cable - no more adjustment left

After a weekend of frequent clutch feathering, my clutch lever adjustment is exhausted. I entered the trail with a clutch which engaged at half lever, and exited with engagement at full lever. I'm out of adjustment in both the lever and the cable, yet engagement is strong without slipping. It is just abnormal. Do I hop a tooth on the engine casing clutch lever or is this indication my plates are consumed? Thanks.

1997 DR650SE

The clutch started slipping so I pulled it. One side of one friction plate was wiped clean. This was the outer facing surface of the first friction plate from the engine. All other friction plates were spec and within a few thousands of an inch of each other. Curious about the mechanics of this failure?

I had already soaked in engine oil a new EBC DRC87 rebuild kit so the bike got a whole new clutch instead of a $10 friction plate.

EBC doesn’t include a special friction plate for placing against the pressure plate (outermost friction plate identified in Suzuki literature as No. 2). They do however include a No. 2 steel plate, sized to fit behind that cursed 18” wire clip. What a hassle, that clip. I had 5 woodworking vices compressing the No. 2 plate into the hub damper spring, and I still had to change tack before I gained enough slack to make it fast (wrapping the spring counterclockwise seemed to do the trick).

4C2D2E56-B551-4A5E-A51E-C4B7C372DA46.jpeg