1991 DR350S New Owner Part 2

Hello to All,

I will start with a quick recap. I was given a ‘91 DR350S that had been siting in a garage for 15 years.  Yesterday I started it for the first time.  I noticed two things that concern me.  First, the top end seems very noisy.  One of my other motorcycles is ‘70 Triumph 650 which are not noted for having quiet valve train. The DR is even noisier.  When I pulled the valve cover to retorque the head the cam lobes and rocker arms looked great. The valve were adjusted to the specs in the manual. I guess I need to check if the cam chain is stretched. Is there anything else I should look for?

The second concern is the pilot screw on the carburetor. It does not seem to do any thing. The engine idles and reeves smoothly, but I can screw the pilot screw all the way in or turn it 3 full turns out and the idle remains the same. The carburetor is the stock CV one that I cleaned and re-jetted with the Dynojet kit.  It still has the stock pilot jet but I pulled the plug and replaced the pilot screw with the easy adjusting one from ProCycle.  The needle is the one from Dynojet with the clip in the 4th grove from the top.  This is what Dynojet recommends for a DR with an open air box and after market exhaust.  I sprayed carb cleaner on the carburetor and manifold with no change in RPM.  What am I missing?

thanks,

Jim from Pasadena

is the top end getting enough fresh clean oil ???? ,, how is the camchain tensioner and guides , a floppy cam chain will make loud swishing noises 

any photos of that carb and pilot screw selections , your right it should fluctuate as you screw in/out the mixture screw ,, how does that procycle pilot screw compare to the origional pilot screw - length wize and diameter wize and reach into the hole wize  - 

DDD 

Thank you DDD for the reply.  Boy, I do hate to ask silly questions, but what is the best way to check the oil flow to the rocker arm?  On British cars and motorcycles it is as simple as starting the engine and removing the valve cover or inspection cap and looking to see if the oil is flowing.  Yea it can be a little messy, but no worse than the normal oil leaks.  Some how I do not think that is the Suzuki way of doing things.

Next weekend I will remove the carburetor and compare the old and new pilot screws.  I will also pull the valve cover and see how well I can inspect the cam chain guides and the amount of adjustment that is left on the adjuster.

Jim From Pasadena