BATTERY88

32 year layoff. Should I even bother?

The older generation 5-valve WR250F is a great choice as well.  

• Like 1

I’m in the same club ... ran Can Ams back in the day ... just got back into it , picked up this used Husqvarna Wr 300 .... its a pretty good “Woods” machine .... it’s a 2010 ... I like it ... parts are still available  ( Halls ) I’m not sayin this would be the one to buy , but no regrets going to the 300 cc size,don’t rule out the Huskys 

They pull pretty good ... you’ll enjoy gettin back into it , I’m sure of it.

AC47B4EE-F334-4F4E-B429-0C8F11293A57.png

9C44F400-D9A0-42B2-AF8E-8FF5D9CE9345.jpeg

On 7/7/2019 at 3:34 PM, BATTERY88 said:

I’m sure this type of post is pretty typical here.

Im 49 and have not owned a dirt bike since I was 17.   I rode daily from age 10 to around age 16 when I discovered girls and cars.  I rode trails, pipelines, gravel and dirt roads in the Pacific Northwest.

I want to spend under 5k

not sure where I will ride.  I doubt I will ever be on a motocross track again. Woods, trails etc.  I’m not into riding on the street.  That’s where my worst crashes were!  Wet roads with dirt tires. Racing?  I’m 49 and a novice again.  Doubtful 

I'm 68, been riding dirt again for about 6 years after a 35+ year layoff. I'm 6-2 and 260. I road raced back in the 70s, got that bug out of my system. I started with a used Honda CRF230F. Cheap, reliable, good enough to find out if I liked it. And I got a lot better with it. Sold it. Bought a KTM 250F, liked it a lot, its suspension was way better than the Honda. Sold it to get a 300 KTM, because I raced two-strokes way back when, and just like two strokes.

I ride dirt trails, only dirt trails. For your 5K budget, you should be able to find a very nice used bike. Like a 2016 KTM300-XCW with low hours. A buddy of mine just bought a 2014 KTM 200XCW for $4500, it was super clean, had lots of spares (like complete new plastics).

I ride because I like: (1) riding itself and (2) the exercise I get riding (which does help me lose a bit of weight) and (3) the benchracing, burgers and beers with the riding buddies.

Of course, you should match the bike to the riding you do, but you can't know that until you get a bike and ride. So buy something, but don't worry too much about it being perfect. Just get something clean and in good shape, ride it, learn what you like, what you actually ride rather than what you think you will like. Sell it and get closer to the perfect bike.

Stay away from MX bikes, look for a nice "enduro" model.

Edited by pat22043
s/begin/being/
  • Like 2

On 7/7/2019 at 4:19 PM, BATTERY88 said:

i have been looking at KDX 200s and KTM 200s a bit.  I need to ride one.  

Anither dumb question.  Am I too big for the suspension and engine of a 200 2 stroke?  And is a 125 2 stroke just too small for me?  I assume the suspension is different on lower displacement bikes but I really have no idea.

The KDX 200 & 220 are really nice bikes, good suspension, reliable two strokes, and they can be found for half your budget. But, they do not have electric start. IMHO electric start is very important for getting back into riding. I spent a lot of time stuck on the side of a hill, because I didn't have enough momentum (aka speed) and could not get traction when I was half-way up. Balancing on the side of a hill and trying to kick start a bike is far too much work for me.

A 2014-2015 KTM 200 has a full sized frame and suspension and eStart. They have plenty of power, and while you probably will want to change the springs and get the valving adjusted, they can be a ton of fun. But they do take a lot more revs and clutch work than my 300 does.

I also think that having it be able to be titled, registered and plated is important, even if you don't plan to ride on the street. I only ride on pavement for transit sections between trails. My 300 has a headlight and taillight, but none of the other required "street legal" stuff like mirrors, brake lights, chain guards, etc. But from a distance, it looks street legal and has a real legal current plate that matches the VIN, and I've never had an issue with it, even passing local law enforment folks.

• Like 1

I just found a 2003 kdx 200 that looks almost new. Bone stock. Seems like it wasn’t ridden much.  The guy is asking $3000.   I have found a coupe around the $1700 range but they look beat to death.  Does this seem way high to you?

10B6103F-E695-4C12-AEAA-13BBA3772552.jpeg

That bike looks clean .... new back in the day they sold for over just 4K ....anything else come with the bike ... spare parts ... plastic ... etc

The price is high ... but finding a clean one like may be hard .. have to go over it and bring up any issues ( if any ) and bring it up with the seller ..... I’m sayin 2k would be a more reasonable askin price 

3 hours ago, BATTERY88 said:

I just found a 2003 kdx 200 that looks almost new. Bone stock. Seems like it wasn’t ridden much.  The guy is asking $3000.   I have found a coupe around the $1700 range but they look beat to death.  Does this seem way high to you?

10B6103F-E695-4C12-AEAA-13BBA3772552.jpeg

yes.  ridiculously high.

I love my 1999 KTM 200 MXC, it's a very good beginner bike because the gearing is geared on the lower end. It's very light and maneuverable as well, and the maintenance is not a hassle. Overall since they don't sell 200's anymore a KTM 250 exc or something like that may do, or if you can find one, a KTM 200 EXC, or KTM 200 MXC.

On 7/14/2019 at 3:27 PM, BATTERY88 said:

yeah, way high, keep looking. I bought (for a buddy) a KDX220 for $1500 that looked nearly new and ran well. Keep looking. 

On 7/14/2019 at 2:27 PM, BATTERY88 said:

$1,700 for beat ones, $3,000 for clean one... If you bought a beat one, how much time and money would you put into it before you were happily riding? Sure there are better deals out there, you usually find one right after you buy something! Life is short, buy it.

On 7/7/2019 at 12:34 PM, BATTERY88 said:

I’m sure this type of post is pretty typical here.

Im 49 and have not owned a dirt bike since I was 17.   I rode daily from age 10 to around age 16 when I discovered girls and cars.  I rode trails, pipelines, gravel and dirt roads in the Pacific Northwest.   Sloppy muddy hilly, steep stuff.  My last two bikes were a 82 CR 125 and a 84 CR250.  I raced motocross a bit but honestly kinda sucked.  Usually finished mid to rear of pack.  Like 14th to 19th out of around 30.  When only 23 finish 19th kinda sucks! 

Im 6 ft 3 and around 240.   I could stand to loose a few.  

I want to spend under 5k

not sure where I will ride.  I doubt I will ever be on a motocross track again. Woods, trails etc.  I’m not into riding on the street.  That’s where my worst crashes were!  Wet roads with dirt tires. 

Racing?  I’m 49 and a novice again.  Doubtful 

I’m clueless as to what bike to buy.  The options are overwhelming.  I have never owned a 4 stroke besides my old XR80 when I was 10.  So part of me thinks I’m a 2 stroke guy.

please no fame.  Having a mid life crisis here and motorcycles are cheaper than young women!  “Yes they are” I promise.

Ok, so you've decided to get back into the fun times you had as a kid. (I can't say I blame you!) Anyway, since you're a "re-entry rider" let's take this from where you really are. You're a novice, again. Before we narrow your focus on 2T vs 4T, let's get you back in the saddle first. Are you still in the PNW? The reason I ask is that the very best advice anyone here can give you is... Let's get you enrolled in a dirtbike school, to get you started correctly. The last thing we want to read about is that you got hurt because of something silly. (Aren't they all kinda silly?) Anyway, I suggest you contact MSF to see if they have an offroad/adventure motorcycle course for you to take. This will quell bad habits you'd regenerate, and help you develop good habits and strategies for dealing with obstacles. Very good chance, they'll have numerous motorcycles for you to try. This is where you evaluate each and every bike, in real world conditions. This should help you reduce your chance of buying the wrong bike. Whether the course is $300, or $100, it can be a very good experience for you. Let's face it, anytime we can put a rider on a bike, and the wheels are turnin,' they're learnin. 

So, here comes my tagline that I use in cases such as this...

It's better to make a $250 investment, rather than a $9400 mistake. 

At your weight (I’m also 240), I’d stick with a 250 two stroke or bigger or a 450 four stroke or bigger. Good choices are 2006+ YZ 250, 05+ KTM 300, 05-07 KTM 525 EXC or XCW, 2012+ KTM 500 EXC.

On 7/7/2019 at 1:34 PM, BATTERY88 said:

motorcycles are cheaper than young women!  “Yes they are” I promise.

Only if you don't crash 😉 lol

my only advice is to not buy a eurobike 😅