32 year layoff. Should I even bother?

Because the 250’s are small, they usually get revved really high which is hard on the motor. Many 250 four strikes have blown up, especially the old ones. (Google or YouTube it).The bigger 450’s put out their power at a lower RPM which is easier on all the parts involved. Better yet, most of the two strokes don’t rev super high, and there are way fewer parts to wear out or break.

I’m not sure who you’ve been talking to about two strokes, but the KTM 300 two stroke is probably the one of the most respected off-road bikes in overall in the last 20 years. Look at what the pros are riding at tough races...

If your on a budget, stick with a two stroke

you really should decide firstly if you want a go fast mx racebike OR a putt putt cruise around bike with smooth controllable power.  If you just want to cruise around on backroads and trails don't buy a racebike.

I’m 49 so I have zero interest in a race bike at all.  Speed isn’t my thing.  I like trial,riding.  Slick, snooty mixed with easy dirt roads etc... 

I used to race MX in my teens.  I had a nickname. Embarrassing.  Last name is Hutton..  buddies called me “puttin Hutton”.   I still finished ahead of them!  They kept crashing. 

Hard to explain what I want.  I rode a 2 stroke race bike on trails for years.  Not the best choice.  So I’ve never owned a 4 stroke but did plenty of knarly trail riding when I was younger,  I’m sure lots of kids did the same.  Bought a race bike and rode nothing but trails,,  went to the track and raced on Sunday.  I sucked most of the time.  Unless it was muddy.  Then I placed top 10 every time.  Slow and gnarly was my speed. lol 

hmm, it's a shame a lot of companies have killed their lines of more mellow enduro bikes in favor of mx-based enduros.  i'd say go test ride a wr250r and see if that's enough power for you.  4strokes have come a long way since the 80's.

9 hours ago, BATTERY88 said:

I’m 49 so I have zero interest in a race bike at all.  Speed isn’t my thing.  I like trial,riding.  Slick, snooty mixed with easy dirt roads etc...

Hard to explain what I want.  I rode a 2 stroke race bike on trails for years.  Not the best choice. 

I did exactly the same as you when I was 45. I bought a trail bike and it was fun, but it wasn't enough so I bought an RM125 and have been riding woods and MX bikes since.

Despite the protestations of many on here, there's nothing wrong with a MX bike on the trails. Some are better than others, and in many cases there is very little difference. My RM was terrible. My Husky is good. I just bought  YZ125 and it's even better.

I suggest you buy a 2 stroke MX bike, maybe  a YZ250 (because of your size) and go from there. If you like it, keep it. If not you should at least have figured out what direction you want to go, and because it's a YZ you'll be able to get you money back.

06+ YZ 250 two stroke would make a great bike. You can make it into whatever you want. The 06+ has the legendary SSS forks.

Your skill will come back in about two rides. Get a bigger bike.

• Like 1

he just said he doesn't want a racebike and people immediately go recommending a yz250.  I guess a 450r would be worse, but... lmao :thumbsup:

• Haha 1

He is a previous racer that weights 240lbs (same as me). A YZ250 / KTM 300 is manageable and offers room to grow.

• Like 2

What about an actual trail bike, like an XR400 or DRZ400? Plenty capable if you aren't racing, easy to ride, reliable as a brick, cheap to run/maintain and will probably re-sell for as much as you pay for it if he decides in a year or two to move up.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2019 at 10:59 PM, DEATH_INC. said:

What about an actual trail bike, like an XR400 or DRZ400? Plenty capable if you aren't racing, easy to ride, reliable as a brick, cheap to run/maintain and will probably re-sell for as much as you pay for it if he decides in a year or two to move up.

No DRZ for the Woods never ever. I had one ok for the street, less than mediocre in the Woods. Heavy as hell. 

40 minutes ago, DBMX 925 said:

No DRZ for the Woods never ever. I had one ok for the street, less than mediocre in the Woods. Heavy as hell. 

Ha ha.  I rode a friends DRZ last week.  He said it was a good trail bike. After a 10 minute ride I came back and asked him if had ever ridden a real trail bike.  Heck I would rather not ride then to take a DRZ off road again.  The thing is a tank.   I’m coming from riding old 2 strok HONDA CRs.  Riding the DRZ confirmed my suspicions 

Find a KTM 350XC or XCW, you won’t be disappointed. Remember though, ay your weight suspension work will need to be done. 

18 minutes ago, BATTERY88 said:

Ha ha.  I rode a friends DRZ last week.  He said it was a good trail bike. After a 10 minute ride I came back and asked him if had ever ridden a real trail bike.  Heck I would rather not ride then to take a DRZ off road again.  The thing is a tank.   I’m coming from riding old 2 strok HONDA CRs.  Riding the DRZ confirmed my suspicions 

It's not about you.... Look at the first post. The guy is 49 years old, 6'3" 240 lbs. A DRZ400 might be real nice for this guy. He is not 19 years old doing Hare Scrambles. I agree a DRZ400 is heavy, maybe 320 honest pounds, but how is it used. Riding to the trails? Riding to town to get lunch and a beer? His trails/woods may be two tracks with an occasional tough spot. Speaking as an old guy, a tame/mild bulletproof cheap four stroke (XR400R in my case) is an excellent choice. And yes, the two-stroke younger guys blow by me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, hibobb said:

It's not about you.... Look at the first post. The guy is 49 years old, 6'3" 240 lbs. A DRZ400 might be real nice for this guy. He is not 19 years old doing Hare Scrambles. I agree a DRZ400 is heavy, maybe 320 honest pounds, but how is it used. Riding to the trails? Riding to town to get lunch and a beer? His trails/woods may be two tracks with an occasional tough spot. Speaking as an old guy, a tame/mild bulletproof cheap four stroke (XR400R in my case) is an excellent choice. And yes, the two-stroke younger guys blow by me. 

It kinda is about me. Lol.

nothing against the DRZ but anything designed to do two different things is rarely that good at either. If I do end up on paved Roads it would only to get me to a trail. I plan on riding for fun.  If I had to ride a 300 plus pound bike I’d rather find another hobby. ? 

i have to think that guys who ride super heavy bikes off-road haven’t ridden many light ones to compare.  Or they want a bike to fill multiple roles.

i don’t pan on buying a bike that weighs much over 240 dry.

11 minutes ago, BATTERY88 said:

nothing against the DRZ but anything designed to do two different things is rarely that good at either. If I do end up on paved Roads it would only to get me to a trail. I plan on riding for fun.  If I had to ride a 300 plus pound bike I’d rather find another hobby. ? 

i have to think that guys who ride super heavy bikes off-road haven’t ridden many light ones to compare.  Or they want a bike to fill multiple roles.

yup, the drz is a bit of a pig offroad.  In order to get a bike as light as you want you'll have to look at ktm's offerings or consider an mx 2 or 4 stroke bike to use for trails

35 minutes ago, BATTERY88 said:

Oops, Didn't know who I was talking to. Well... at least you got my honest unvarnished opinion. Best of luck to you.... Bob

• Like 1

so i'll have to concede that the guys recommending the yz250 were right, ahahahaha ? 

• Like 1

Weight is a Big deal off-road. I recently switched to a new Husqvarna FE501 from a 01 KTM 520. The weight difference is probably about 35 pounds and it makes all the difference on how worn out you get riding.

4 hours ago, hibobb said:

Oops, Didn't know who I was talking to. Well... at least you got my honest unvarnished opinion. Best of luck to you.... Bob

Yeh, kinda looked at it like you (I'm older too), and recommended what fitted the original description of what he wanted. :excuseme:

Sh*t, back then (the early 80's) we rode XT's TT's, XL's XR's KL's KLX's and DR's' and 'z' offroad, even raced a few at MX. Most of them were heavy and undersuspended as a bus. A DRZ is a racebike compared to those :smirk:.

Edited by DEATH_INC.