BATTERY88

32 year layoff. Should I even bother?

7 hours ago, Drop-Bear said:

Ewww. Make sure you pull the helmet liner out and give it a wash.

Bike is ridiculously clean. Nice score.

Helmet Liner already out of the wash air drying.  

• Haha 1

On 8/8/2019 at 3:52 PM, BATTERY88 said:

The owner threw in a helmet and googles so that’s two things I don’t have to buy.  I’m pretty happy about the condition.  It has no aftermarket parts on it.  Blank slate.  

Now I need to get it ready for the nw trails.  It has Dunlop D739 tires.  They are in great shape but I read they are best for hard conditions.  I need handguards, maybe tires and riding boots.  It looks like I have some research to do.  

Oh and healing. 

B41FEE35-1D3E-44B9-842E-26AB87AEF00F.jpeg

On 8/8/2019 at 4:09 PM, Knightly said:

The bike looks super clean! Ride it, tweak it... repeat until it’s set up for you

Shinko 216MX FATTY is good for the front, and Shinko 505 or 525 cheater for the rear. Both work great and are cheap.

The 200 will want the narrower 18 inch rear tire...

Gotta agree on the tires but go 525 on the rear especially going into wet pnw winter. But just use those tires you don’t have to push hard right away.

great find! That’s a perfect bike!

Yeah I plan on leaving these tires on until I decide to hit difficult trails.  That might be a while.  I planned on running maxima super m for two stroke oil To Put put around trails. I doubt I will be reviving the bike out until I learn to ride again. Owner said he put ATF type F in gear box. Said he ran valvoline 2 stroke mix also.  

I still need to change out the bent handlebar damper. It’s hard to leave it sit and not spend money tinkering. Lol

Gotta agree on the tires but go 525 on the rear especially going into wet pnw winter. But just use those tires you don’t have to push hard right away.

I dislike the 525 i put on. I miss my trials hybrid.

20 hours ago, JefeRotacion said:
On 8/10/2019 at 1:56 AM, mylsmkj said:

Read more  

I dislike the 525 i put on. I miss my trials hybrid.

Why do you not like it? You put on the 525 hybrid cheater not the 525 standard compound?

Posted (edited)

The Golden Tyre 333 is very good. Even better with Tu-Bliss.

Edited by Drop-Bear

Lots of good tire options... ask a local shop what is popular in your area. Hard to go wrong with the MX 216 Fatty front (golden tire or shinko)

• Like 1

Ok, who invented grip glue?  I want to give them my opinion on that stuff.   I spent 2 hours last night taking off the grips on my KDX.  When I ride way back we used a dab of dish liquid and wired them on.  They came off easy.  These were just plain ridiculous.

13 minutes ago, BATTERY88 said:

Ok, who invented grip glue?  I want to give them my opinion on that stuff.   I spent 2 hours last night taking off the grips on my KDX.  When I ride way back we used a dab of dish liquid and wired them on.  They came off easy.  These were just plain ridiculous.

I'm hearing ya. Absolute PITA

I don't use glue, or wire. I don't use anything, just slip them on. I never get blisters, or arm pump. It teaches you to keep a light, relaxed grip.

My mates think I'm mad. That seems to be the general consensus. No one I've ever mentioned it to has tried it. all suffer from blisters and arm pump. 

Just get the ODI (or other brand) bolt on grips. They work great and are easy to install. ODI Rogue is my favorite, thick and cushy.

On 8/8/2019 at 3:52 PM, BATTERY88 said:

The owner threw in a helmet and googles so that’s two things I don’t have to buy.  I’m pretty happy about the condition.  It has no aftermarket parts on it.  Blank slate.  

Now I need to get it ready for the nw trails.  It has Dunlop D739 tires.  They are in great shape but I read they are best for hard conditions.  I need handguards, maybe tires and riding boots.  It looks like I have some research to do.  

Oh and healing. 

That thing is so clean! How much did you snag it for?! I just read your initial post and then skipped ahead to see if you'd gotten a bike before I bothered to respond. Hopefully this bike will keep you happy for years to come. If you ever decide to try out the 4 stroke route and aren't searching for tip-top performance, the XR400 is one of the (if not the) lowest maintenance and most reliable 4 strokes ever made. If you can find a clean one, I bet you'd like that bike too. 

But if you're a 2 stroke guy embrace it and rip the hell out of that KDX! If you do drop a few pounds I'd also highly highly highly recommend a 125 smoker as a second bike when you inevitably get way into riding again. If I've learned anything from my dad and his old friends, you may have had a 32 year hiatus, but you've got another 20+ years of good riding in ya if you stay in shape and keep ripping!

My primary bike is a '13 KTM 350 XC-F 4 stroke, but I've got an '02 Kawasaki KX125 that keeps me grinning ear to ear every time I get it on the pipe. Can't have more fun than a 125 on the right terrain. 

Welcome back to the greatest sport!

20 hours ago, Icerink5am said:

That thing is so clean! How much did you snag it for?! I just read your initial post and then skipped ahead to see if you'd gotten a bike before I bothered to respond. Hopefully this bike will keep you happy for years to come. If you ever decide to try out the 4 stroke route and aren't searching for tip-top performance, the XR400 is one of the (if not the) lowest maintenance and most reliable 4 strokes ever made. If you can find a clean one, I bet you'd like that bike too. 

But if you're a 2 stroke guy embrace it and rip the hell out of that KDX! If you do drop a few pounds I'd also highly highly highly recommend a 125 smoker as a second bike when you inevitably get way into riding again. If I've learned anything from my dad and his old friends, you may have had a 32 year hiatus, but you've got another 20+ years of good riding in ya if you stay in shape and keep ripping!

My primary bike is a '13 KTM 350 XC-F 4 stroke, but I've got an '02 Kawasaki KX125 that keeps me grinning ear to ear every time I get it on the pipe. Can't have more fun than a 125 on the right terrain. 

Welcome back to the greatest sport!

I paid $2000.  Might be a bit much but the condition was so good I said screw it.  I haven’t worked on a dirt bike since I was 17 so I want to start with something reliable and familiar.    I have an itch for a 2 stroke 125 or 250 for fun.  I have 30 more pounds to loose and I’m not in a hurry.  I doubt I will be riding until spring.

On 8/8/2019 at 5:52 PM, BATTERY88 said:

Oh and healing. 

Congrats and beauty bike! When I was a kid my dad had a KDX220. Wicked machine... enjoy!

Don't skimp out on the protective gear... the bike will get you back into riding, the gear will make sure you continue!