jtanman

Why are top hard enduro riders like Graham Jarvis on two-strokes?

It seems that many (can I say most?) hard enduro riders are on two-strokes. So what's the deal with that? Is it power-to-weight ratio wizardry? I was having a conversation the other day with my uncle and I mentioned that lots of the top enduro riders use two-strokes. When he asked why, I didn't have a good answer. ?

My understanding of it is because the 2 stroke technology has made leaps and bounds in recent years, where aside from fuel injection, 4 strokes have been more or less the same for awhile now.

Which give 2 strokes a better power to weight ratio, (particularly low center of gravity) and ability to operate smoothly at low RPM's (lugging).
And then much cheaper / easier rebuilds and resulting reliability from a simpler overall design.

So my answer to your uncle would be "better power to weight ratio, lower center of gravity/lack of gyroscopic effects, and better power delivery at low RPM's."

• Like 6
  • Helpful 2

46 minutes ago, jtanman said:

It seems that many (can I say most?) hard enduro riders are on two-strokes. So what's the deal with that? Is it power-to-weight ratio wizardry? I was having a conversation the other day with my uncle and I mentioned that lots of the top enduro riders use two-strokes. When he asked why, I didn't have a good answer. ?

Nancy boys stay home. Everybody else smokes em because they got em. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

better power to weight ratio??  arent the new ktm 450/350s lighter than the 2 stroke 300i's??

• Like 3

Graham rode a FE250 in several races and still won.   With that being said, personally I think a lower center of gravity, less rotating mass (gyroscope effect), way more torque and the ability to lug much lower all make 2-strokes more competitive in slow, tight and technical enduros.

Doc

• Like 7

My take is there is a better profit margin on the 2 strokes so that's what the factory boys ride.

Win on Sunday sell on Monday

• Like 5
  • Helpful 2
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, kcposty said:

My take is there is a better profit margin on the 2 strokes so that's what the factory boys ride.

Win on Sunday sell on Monday

Except dealers aren't open on Monday. :D

• Like 8

Except dealers aren't open on Monday. [emoji3]
No, but the bank loan officers are [emoji451]
  • Haha 1

Latest advances in 2T technology may explain the resurgence but having owned and competed with several open class 2Ts before power valves emerged I can say big 2Ts do deliver wonderful power for trail riding.

I don't like the sudden hit of power valve 2Ts but my current 250cc 2T Trials bike is wonderful as the engine just does not quit when you screw up, just turn the throttle and continue. :banana:

I even made a Husky CR400 a good mountain trail bike with a port mod. My best was a Bultaco 370 Frontera with a lot of Pursang parts, it was plated and could do over 70mph on the road but still worked in the Cascade mountains and PNW Enduro Competitions.

I know that is old but I can appreciate how a modern 2T could be a stellar bike in the woods and mountains.  

• Like 9

only 25% effort is needed to ride a 2t in snotty rooty shit.

up to 60% is needed in order to get it done on a 4t.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, jtanman said:

Not meant to be snarky but ride one for awhile and you'll find out why..

• Like 8
  • Helpful 1

Low rpm tractability, stall resistance, and a top end snap when needed. I drank the koolaid about a year ago and love it. A 250 four-stroke feels like a heavy pig after riding the 300. If I was racing Mx I'd buy a four-stroke.

• Like 3

ive seen Jarvis competing in 4 strokes as well. But one of my guess would be they dont overheat as quickly as 4 strokes in really slow moving competition. Seen a few 4 strokes go down in competitions (watching on YT) and prob puts them out of the game..so reliability would be a factor

• Like 3
  • Helpful 2

15 hours ago, jtanman said:

Weight..better off idle torque..doesn’t overheat as easy...It’s easier to ride in hard enduro compared to a 4 stroke. It’s an advantage riding 2 strokes in hard enduro. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, dyrtmon said:

Not meant to be snarky but ride one for awhile and you'll find out why..

Oh you don't have to convince me, I ride a yz250x and love it to death!

Edited by jtanman
  • Like 3

Oh you don't have to convince me, I ride a yz250x and love it to death!
250x here also.

Biggest thing for me was weight. Before getting a '17 250x, I was on a '01 426. I can ride twice as long and be half as sore at the end of the day.

For those that were saying they didnt like the sudden hit if a 2t, there are tweaks and affordable aftermarket parts to adjust that.
  • Like 5