jtanman

Why are top hard enduro riders like Graham Jarvis on two-strokes?

1 hour ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

I think that depends on the bike too. My 2009  Beta 525 rs is very very quiet. Other 4 strokes are loud. It depends on the choices of exhaust too. Look how quiet this is. Turn up the volume.

https://youtu.be/CjoMGAlIDYw

Try again after fixing whatever is making that terrible popping cracking sound.

• Like 1

This is easy, 2 Strokes are better! But seriously from what I understand, we always hear it was the EPA, but the EPA doesn't affect off road closed course competition bikes. The EPA was the cause of the lose of 2 stroke street bikes in the 80's but not dirt bikes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iffykid said:

Try again after fixing whatever is making that terrible popping cracking sound.

It’s an old vid and that sound is just the camelback hose tapping against my chest protector.. It shows how quiet the bike is for that to make more noise comparatively. Turn down the sound and you hardly hear anything. I don’t hear my camelback hose tapping when riding here at all.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Tepco said:

This is easy, 2 Strokes are better! But seriously from what I understand, we always hear it was the EPA, but the EPA doesn't affect off road closed course competition bikes. The EPA was the cause of the lose of 2 stroke street bikes in the 80's but not dirt bikes. 

I think the manufacturers saw the writing on the wall as street 2 strokes were basically banned so they were simply playing it safe as not to get caught in a corner facing the coming wave.  I am betting that there was also some pressure from the EPA whether it ultimately ended in regulation or not.

I rode 4 strokes for awhile and when I got back on a 2 stroke it was a "wtf was I thinking" moment lol.

Edited by Florida Gliderpilot
  • Like 4

Lot's of different opinion's ...   I like 4 stroke on smooth easy hilly trails.  2 stroke for long strech and technical trails  .   Have several sizes , brands of both .   CRF 150 F  Is a favorite ,  but hard to beat the  82  KDX 250 ... What a ride , like a fast logging truck ..then  YZ 450 F For track , just a bit much for me ,  5'5"  160 #... I like the CR 125 R  for track also ,  easier to control , real snappy .   Also have TTR 125 for trail riding with the kid's .  They like the  CRF 125 F , And the KX 100 .   LIKE THEY SAY ,   DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS ......

On 7/8/2019 at 4:50 PM, shrubitup said:

Except dealers aren't open on Monday. :D

Well.... yours isn’t..

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dirtmoto228 said:

250x here also.

Biggest thing for me was weight. Before getting a '17 250x, I was on a '01 426. I can ride twice as long and be half as sore at the end of the day.

For those that were saying they didnt like the sudden hit if a 2t, there are tweaks and affordable aftermarket parts to adjust that.

I recently got a 19’ 250x, subsequently my last bike was also a 01’ 426. I work outta town all the time, so the x is sitting in the garage still unridden and finally all put together 😂

• Like 1

I'd sum it all up by saying that the gap between two's and four's has narrowed considerably, but the 2t's still hold the edge in weight.

I think where a 4 still shines a bit is reliability.   I know many will argue that having valves and all the extra moving parts means that it's not, but I believe they still hold up better over the long haul.

Jim.

5 minutes ago, Jim Dettman said:

I know many will argue that having valves and all the extra moving parts means that it's not, but I believe they still hold up better over the long haul.

Definitely more hours between rebuilds. 

38 minutes ago, Jim Dettman said:

I'd sum it all up by saying that the gap between two's and four's has narrowed considerably, but the 2t's still hold the edge in weight.

I think where a 4 still shines a bit is reliability.   I know many will argue that having valves and all the extra moving parts means that it's not, but I believe they still hold up better over the long haul.

Jim.

Many have brought up WEIGHT of the 4t's...….NOT anymore. my son has an '18 Husky 350fx, and wow, the dern thing has 58 hp and weighs 221 pounds. Considerably more powerful and 3 pounds LIGHTER than my '19 300xc. Check out the spec's for yourselves......

https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2018/2018-husqvarna-fx350-review

Joe

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Joe,

I think though for the 4 vs 2 discussion, that is not an accurate comparison.   You can't really compare whole bikes, but rather just the motors.   As was already pointed out, 2's produce more power per pound of motor weight than a 4 (makes sense with fewer parts).

The line between the two has certainly become blurred....if we had been holding this discussion back 20 years ago, there was a distinct difference.  But now you have 4's that can rev out to 12k pretty quickly, and 2's that can run down low like a 4.

Jim.

Edited by Jim Dettman
  • Like 1

I recently got a 19’ 250x, subsequently my last bike was also a 01’ 426. I work outta town all the time, so the x is sitting in the garage still unridden and finally all put together
Haha yeah, the difference between those two is going to blow your &%$#@!ing mind (and your pants!). I'm guessing you got the x because you do more trails/single than track. In that case, you are going to be ludicrously happy with the x.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dirtmoto228 said:
6 hours ago, timmiam said:
I recently got a 19’ 250x, subsequently my last bike was also a 01’ 426. I work outta town all the time, so the x is sitting in the garage still unridden and finally all put together emoji23.png

Haha yeah, the difference between those two is going to blow your &%$#@!ing mind (and your pants!). I'm guessing you got the x because you do more trails/single than track. In that case, you are going to be ludicrously happy with the x.

The cool thing about the 250 X it is happy on the track or trails/hare scrambles.  I have a friend that does both on his and does well.  For a 2t it is about as perfect a bike that you can get with just a little bit of tweaking.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BOAB said:

The cool thing about the 250 X it is happy on the track or trails/hare scrambles

What 250x are you guys talking about? 

1 minute ago, Z8EE said:

What 250x are you guys talking about? 

The blue one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

my son has an '18 Husky 350fx,and weighs 221 pounds

That's the dry weight. 

Have you ever weighed four valves, two cams, camchain, four springs, four retainers, and the chain tensioner? Whole lot of steel.

Beta 300RE wet with an empty fuel tank is 224.

Just now, BOAB said:
2 minutes ago, Z8EE said:

The blue one.

I’m going to take a wild guess that you’re not referring to a Sherco. 😋

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Z8EE said:

I’m going to take a wild guess that you’re not referring to a Sherco. 😋

I wouldn't know a Sherco if it bit me on the nose.

8 minutes ago, BOAB said:

I wouldn't know a Sherco if it bit me on the nose.

And that's why I wouldn't buy one... I like them a lot, but when you go to sell it you have to get lucky or most likely, take a bite of a huge poo sammich in the form of terrible resale value. But, they do win at some rather tough races.

• Like 1