GasGas Ranger review: X Trainer threat?

1 hour ago, firffighter said:

Great review from Barry as always.

Having spent a fair amount of time on the X Trainer, I really like the sound of the Ranger. Kinda address's the X Trainer's weaknesses. 

cool bike for sure.

but... gasgas scares the doo doo out of me. I've had a couple of their trials bikes and parts were a pain in the ass to find. they went out of business and I had zero support for those bikes. ECUs went out , stators f'ed up. weirdo brake calipers couldnt be fixed yadda yadda.  so.. gasgas scares me. they just dont seem like a stable company to me.

Beta is growing and kicking ass. I've had three of their 2 stroke bikes (I'll buy another when the 2020s are released)  and my son has had 2 of their electric bikes . the service I've recieved from both my local dealer and betausa has been better than any ktm dealer or jap dealer that I've delt with here. 

so to answer your question with my opinion... no , not a threat at all. 

Edited by swamp123
  • Like 4
  • Helpful 3

For sure!

I've owned 4 GasGas and their fit and finish leave a lot to be desired. But, I haven't been around a newer model since Torrot took over. 

Sounds like they are still on skakey ground financially at this time again.

But, their bikes are outstanding. I really hope they gain stability and can continue to grow as having another solid manufacturer only gives us consumers more options.

The Ranger definitely hits the mark though for those interested in a bike in the X Trainer catagory.

• Like 2

Great job by Barry as usual. Looks Great with the white frame and large Gas Gas logo. Lots to like about this bike. I hope Gas Gas makes it, but they are iffy but not quite Alta yet. I wasn't sure we would ever see this bike in production, but it was worth the wait and will likely pressure Beta to make some long overdue changes to the XT. 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

3 hours ago, firffighter said:

For sure!

I've owned 4 GasGas and their fit and finish leave a lot to be desired. But, I haven't been around a newer model since Torrot took over. 

Sounds like they are still on skakey ground financially at this time again.

But, their bikes are outstanding. I really hope they gain stability and can continue to grow as having another solid manufacturer only gives us consumers more options.

The Ranger definitely hits the mark though for those interested in a bike in the X Trainer catagory.

Xtrainer is great. But so are the 200 rr, 250 and 300 rr and all the variations that can be had in different setups for suspension. I mean a simple lowered seat added is plenty good too for an rr or race edition. Beta covers it’s basis well. Gasgas is not great. It’s good but for one thing there’s still that crappier design estart. Kyb is a nice edge but it wont be a reason to buy another bike for me. I came from great goldvalved resprung Showa suspension and Beta isn’t a step down for me. I’m glad Gasgas is here and I want it to get better and be stable. But between Beta and Gasgas? No way would I goGasgas now. In a couple years when the estart is upgraded and see how stable Gasgas is.. Torrot has no experience in offroad motorcycle manufacturers world.  They are brand new.  Still Beta is over a hundred years old and as stable as can be for now. I can get a custom Beta designed just for me and the company backs up its bikes.

Here’s the other thing about Xtrainers that it seems no one talks about. Xtrainers aren’t built for racing or speed. It’s built for technical riding first and there can be a bunch of modding to have it closer to an rr like different suspension etc. A ranger is made to cover what Gasgas abandoned earlier to have taller ktm like bike. It’s just a lower seat height bike like it used to be .So Xtrainers come out and so the ranger appears. To me it’s an easy choice. It’s Beta. It also doesn’t have to be an Xtrainer when picking Beta got alot of other model choices. 

This just came out too.. just a little more to give to customize fore Beta owners.

AB4F4331-77B7-49DF-A059-A06852A10593.png

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Never understood all the disdain for the Xtrainer on here. It was never meant to be raced or even aggressive trail ridden. It was supposed to be a lighter-weight, soft, mellow bike for non-aggressive riders...a task that it performs very well at. Stop comparing it to the RR, and instead to the heavy, air-cooled trailbikes, and it begins to look a lot better. The guys I know that have them, all bought them for wives/girlfriends, and they all say it was the best bike they've ever had for that purpose.

I wanna see GasGas succeed, all my trials bikes have even been Gassers. That being said, I always felt my GasGas trials bikes have been on the fragile side and a bit temperamental. I don't have enough first-hand experience to pass judgement on the enduro bikes. I was even considering a xc300 as my next enduro bike...but at this point, GasGas is still too "exotic" for me. Maybe if the bad financial rumors stop coming out, the dealer network improves, and they get better aftermarket support, I might consider one. Hell, even my next trials bike will probably be a Beta.

• Like 9

Had an old EC250 Gasser and then earlier this year a TXT 250 Pro. Both had insane clutch and transmission problems. I've avowed off of the brand. Sold the TXT just before all the financial issue stories started popping. :banana:

6 minutes ago, Sierra_rider said:

That being said, I always felt my GasGas trials bikes have been on the fragile side and a bit temperamental.

Absolutely true!

9 minutes ago, shrubitup said:

Had an old EC250 Gasser and then earlier this year a TXT 250 Pro. Both had insane clutch and transmission problems. I've avowed off of the brand. Sold the TXT just before all the financial issue stories started popping. :banana:

Absolutely true!

My '14 txt280 Race got a new cylinder last year after a piece of the piston broke off above ring land. To it's credit, I don't know how many hours I have on it...but the rest of the piston looked fine and surely didn't look like a high hours piston. I don't really hold that against the brand, as 2 stroke piston issues often seem to be a fluke occurrence.

I do hold it against GasGas for deciding to spec it with BrakeTec components. I've had sooo many rear-brake related issues.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sierra_rider said:

Never understood all the disdain for the Xtrainer on here. It was never meant to be raced or even aggressive trail ridden. It was supposed to be a lighter-weight, soft, mellow bike for non-aggressive riders...a task that it performs very well at. Stop comparing it to the RR, and instead to the heavy, air-cooled trailbikes, and it begins to look a lot better. The guys I know that have them, all bought them for wives/girlfriends, and they all say it was the best bike they've ever had for that purpose.

I wanna see GasGas succeed, all my trials bikes have even been Gassers. That being said, I always felt my GasGas trials bikes have been on the fragile side and a bit temperamental. I don't have enough first-hand experience to pass judgement on the enduro bikes. I was even considering a xc300 as my next enduro bike...but at this point, GasGas is still too "exotic" for me. Maybe if the bad financial rumors stop coming out, the dealer network improves, and they get better aftermarket support, I might consider one. Hell, even my next trials bike will probably be a Beta.

This is where Beta's marketing really screwed up,,, or did they! When the XT came out a pro racer of theirs race it many times and implying a stock like bike. To the naïve person this meant you could buy a stock bike and raced/ride it aggressively. Reality proved otherwise and many sold it to get a RR. Beta just sold two bike instead of one,,, great marketing!

I own a Gas Gas trials bike ('14 250 TXT Pro Racing).  The bike has been fine, but the company and organization is horrible. 

Apparently in'14 the engineers put a different ignition in the bike.  It was only used in '14 and was never documented anywhere.   All the parts schematics for '14 showed the ignition that was used in the previous several years.  It took me over a year to get a new stator.  Dealers kept sending me the wrong parts and refused to take them back.  I kept sending them pictures of my ignition parts and they kept telling me I was wrong.   It finally took contacting the COO (Chief Operating Officer) of Gas Gas North America personally.  He then spent two days talking to the folk in Spain showing them pictures of my parts, etc.   Finally they agreed that the parts schematics were wrong and it only took another 6 weeks for them to finally get me the right parts.   When I asked if I could be reimbursed for the wrong parts I was sent, Gas Gas asked me to send them to them which I did.  They determined the parts were used and they could not reimburse me for them.  It would have been impossible to install them on my bike as they physically would not fit.  So apparently the dealer sent me used part to boot.  Gas Gas kept the parts and I was never reimbursed for them (over $700).

Honestly you could give me a brand new Gas Gas Enduro bike and I'd list it for sale before I even rode it around the block.  The organization is fundamentally broken.  They are exactly where they deserve to be as a company.   I'd wager they are gone soon.  95% of the new trials bikes I've seen over the last 2 years have been Beta, Sherco and Montessa.  3 or 4 years ago I'd say over 50% of the new trials bikes were Gas Gas.  

Doc

• Like 1
  • Helpful 3

4 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

I'd wager they are gone soon.  95% of the new trials bikes I've seen over the last 2 years have been Beta, Sherco and Montessa.  3 or 4 years ago I'd say over 50% of the new trials bikes were Gas Gas.

GasGas was top 3 Trials World Championship the past 2 years. 

They have been "circling the drain" according to the pundits for over 5 years now. 

We'll see. They keep making a great bike. They have their quirks just like every other brand, but nothing major and the enduro has KYB and a great enduro motor. 

I definitely want to see them succeed and push the market. It only results in a benefit for the consumer.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, firffighter said:

hey have their quirks just like every other brand, but nothing major and the enduro has KYB and a great enduro motor. 

Quirky? Like the bike getting stuck  in third gear and then the only way to clear that is to rev it up with the clutch pulled and then it finally will shift? Quirky alright - POS. 

Not sure why trials bikes are the standard by which we are measuring the manufacturer? They aren't even built in the same factory as the Enduro division?

It's the Ranger and enduro lineup that is pertinent here.

I have not owned a trials bike, only 4 GasGas enduro bikes. Although they were just a bit exotic, they were bulletproof and extremely durable bikes. 

As far as quirks go, Beta certainly has their fare share. 

I am excited about the Ranger and would like to see it come to the US. It's better equipped than the X Trainer and checks a lot of boxes. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, firffighter said:

Not sure why trials bikes are the standard by which we are measuring the manufacturer? 

Because regardless of the bike you buy you have to still deal with them as a Company.  The Company is like a bunch of monkeys trying to have intercourse with a football.   Besides that their enduro bike have never sold well here.  So you'd probably needs a sample of 5,000 enduro riders to find a single Gas Gas enduro bike.  You're not going to get 10 or 20 guys in here relaying their experience with them.  Their trials bikes have sold better here so you will get input from people who own those.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Helpful 2

20 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

Because regardless of the bike you buy you have to still deal with them as a Company.  The Company is like a bunch of monkeys trying to have intercourse with a football.   Besides that their enduro bike have never sold well here.  So you'd probably needs a sample of 5,000 enduro riders to find a single Gas Gas enduro bike.  You're not going to get 10 or 20 guys in here relaying their experience with them.  Their trials bikes have sold better here so you will get input from people who own those.

Doc

It's not a comparison I see as valid. The trials and enduro divisions are run separately. Besides the fact that the trials bikes are still on the podium in World Trials. There's plenty of GasGas owners to provide solid feedback on the Enduro bikes with a few clicks on the Googles.

As far as the company not being run well, I agree, but this has been an ongoing arguments on GasGas for many years and yet they continue to build great bikes and as long as they keep bringing out solid bikes, they have a place at the table. One could easily argue their lineup is better equipped than Beta. 

Also, KTM is the supposed to be the "gold standard" for a well run manufacturer and they have the most expensive bikes on the market that need immediate mods in order to run correctly (4 stroke excf). Besides the fact that KTM could care less about their owners and have weak warranties. 

Every manufacturer has idiosyncrasies that have to be addressed, Beta no exception. 

I would buy a GasGas based on my local dealer support which is actually stronger than my local Beta dealer support. I have 2 local GasGas dealers that are owned by guys that have the most solid reputations in the NW. 

Again, GasGas having a solid bike only adds to us, the consumer! Better choices for the only benefits the market.

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, firffighter said:

It's not a comparison I see as valid. The trials and enduro divisions are run separately. Besides the fact that the trials bikes are still on the podium in World Trials. There's plenty of GasGas owners to provide solid feedback on the Enduro bikes with a few clicks on the Googles.

As far as the company not being run well, I agree, but this has been an ongoing arguments on GasGas for many years and yet they continue to build great bikes and as long as they keep bringing out solid bikes, they have a place at the table. One could easily argue their lineup is better equipped than Beta. 

Also, KTM is the supposed to be the "gold standard" for a well run manufacturer and they have the most expensive bikes on the market that need immediate mods in order to run correctly (4 stroke excf). Besides the fact that KTM could care less about their owners and have weak warranties. 

Every manufacturer has idiosyncrasies that have to be addressed, Beta no exception. 

I would buy a GasGas based on my local dealer support which is actually stronger than my local Beta dealer support. I have 2 local GasGas dealers that are owned by guys that have the most solid reputations in the NW. 

Again, GasGas having a solid bike only adds to us, the consumer! Better choices for the only benefits the market.

What quirky trait does beta have that leaves riders stranded on the trail? Transmission failure at low hours? Ignition failure also at low hours? Nope. Oh nose, my fork anodizing wore off!!!! ? ride the damn thing back to the truck and quit yer whining. :bonk:

36 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

Doc

What year bikes are you talking about?? Most dealers report much better service and attention to the customer then past owners.

• Helpful 1