Has anyone seen anything on the market like the MX Locker tool box? They aren’t selling them for what I could find. But, it has cut outs in the toolbox where your wheel and forks slide into. I have a short bed so that would be awesome! If anyone is fabricating them or know of a company, please link it! IMG_2342.JPG

I haven't seen a truck tool box like this for sale. However, I have a newer f150 with that shitty 5 1/2' bed and a tool box in the bed. My bike will not fit in the bed. The wife's XR 200 will with the gate down. I dont need to put the gate up, but it'd sure be nice to not have to tow a trailer when we go ride. I've though of either getting a box for under the rear bench seat, or they make boxes that are small but they mount behind your wheel well in the bed. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Welder_1 said:

I haven't seen a truck tool box like this for sale. However, I have a newer f150 with that shitty 5 1/2' bed and a tool box in the bed. My bike will not fit in the bed. The wife's XR 200 will with the gate down. I dont need to put the gate up, but it'd sure be nice to not have to tow a trailer when we go ride. I've though of either getting a box for under the rear bench seat, or they make boxes that are small but they mount behind your wheel well in the bed. 

Side rail boxes seem like a good option.  I have a regular bed, used to have a tool box but needed enough space to put bike in diagonal to I can tow our travel trailer.  In my case I found I could get all of the important stuff from the toolbox under the rear seat (quad cab) the rest of the 'stuff' in the toolbox wasn't really that important...

2 hours ago, braindead0 said:

Side rail boxes seem like a good option.  I have a regular bed, used to have a tool box but needed enough space to put bike in diagonal to I can tow our travel trailer.  In my case I found I could get all of the important stuff from the toolbox under the rear seat (quad cab) the rest of the 'stuff' in the toolbox wasn't really that important...

The side rail boxes, might work out alright. I agree. I'm thinking I can get the important stuff under the rear seat and then not have to worry about a tool box in the bed. I've got to be able to put the wife's bike and mine in the bed comfortably. 

On 7/10/2019 at 8:27 AM, Welder_1 said:

The side rail boxes, might work out alright. I agree. I'm thinking I can get the important stuff under the rear seat and then not have to worry about a tool box in the bed. I've got to be able to put the wife's bike and mine in the bed comfortably. 

Just a thought, but why not go down to Tractor Supply and just buy a 5'X8' Utility trailer, mount some removable wheel chocks and a tongue box, and call it a day?  You can do the whole thing for well under $1k with minimal effort and then you also have the trailer for other uses as well as being bale to ride your bike into towing position on the trailer after a long ride than having to push it into the back.

I have since gotten a newer one, but here's a homemade example of what I'm talking about:

DSC00214.JPG

Edited by Donny18

2 hours ago, Donny18 said:

Just a thought, but why not go down to Tractor Supply and just buy a 5'X8' Utility trailer, mount some removable wheel chocks and a tongue box, and call it a day?  You can do the whole thing for well under $1k with minimal effort and then you also have the trailer for other uses as well as being bale to ride your bike into towing position on the trailer after a long ride than having to push it into the back.

I have since gotten a newer one, but here's a homemade example of what I'm talking about:

DSC00214.JPG

I've got a 5'x8' trailer, I use it when we take the kids bikes with us. However I'd like to not have to use it when just the wife and I go ride. It's unnecessary. What I really would prefer is to go back to a real truck with an 8' bed. I can have my tool box and bikes in the back together. 

Yeah that’s the problem, I’d love to have a little toy hauler but I’m in college, and I go to a military academy so we don’t have storage for the trailer

On 7/10/2019 at 1:36 AM, Welder_1 said:

I've got a 2014 crew cab F150 with the 5.5' bed.  I put a Husky box under the rear seat and modded the rear seats so they can fold forward and I can store stuff back there too.  It gives me all the room I need for tools, emergency gear, and a spare set of clothes/shoes.  I would have had even more room if I had built a custom box out of mdf, but the made-to-fit box from Husky was fast and easy and does what I need it to.

On 7/9/2019 at 6:59 PM, trebel321 said:

Has anyone seen anything on the market like the MX Locker tool box? They aren’t selling them for what I could find. But, it has cut outs in the toolbox where your wheel and forks slide into. I have a short bed so that would be awesome! If anyone is fabricating them or know of a company, please link it! IMG_2342.JPG

If you are only hauling one or two bikes, find a used in the bed tool box, or a over the rails box for a compact truck like an S10.  When you aren't hauling the bikes, it can sit in the front of the bed, when you do haul a bike, spin it around long ways and strap it down.  Tailgate up or down won't matter then.