WR450 Overheated, should I buy it?

Hi 

I am interested in a yamaha 2004 wr450 with 700miles.

Just before closing the deal with the owner, he rode the bike, the water pump went bad and overheated the engine.

He took the bike to the shop for repairing it, and they are still working on it.

So here is my question....Should I still buy it? or should I let it go and look for another one?

Thanks

Edited by Jon Helic

22 hours ago, Jon Helic said:

Hi 

I am interested in a yamaha 2004 wr450 with 700miles.

Just before closing the deal with the owner, he rode the bike, the water pump went bad and overheated the engine.

He took the bike to the shop for repairing it, and they are still working on it.

So here is my question....Should I still buy it? or should I let it go and look for another one?

Thanks

Hello !! Anybody, any suggestion ????

6 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Depends on what is being replaced, the overall condition of the bike and price he is asking.

The bike looks like brand new, looks really good all plastics and engine, it has been sitting at the garage for years, it is a 2004 with only 700 miles.

the battery needs to be replaced and I don't have access to the replaced parts. Owner is asking 2500 bucks

(In the picture you can see the work order)

work order.jpg

7 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Depends on what is being replaced, the overall condition of the bike and price he is asking.

Here I have some pics of the bike, looks good to me but I am hesitating because the overheating "thing"

IMG-0250.JPG

IMG-0251.JPG

IMG-0252.JPG

IMG-0254.JPG

IMG-0255.JPG

IMG-0256.JPG

5 hours ago, olddude13 said:

That’s to bad great deal before the issue I’d pass unless dealer gives warranty Which would probably only be for 30 days

So i need the owner to be willing to share all the info and talk with the shop and then, only then make the decision

Sounds like a plan (I love the wr .... its gonna be hard say no)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jon Helic said:

So i need the owner to be willing to share all the info and talk with the shop and then, only then make the decision

Go to the shop and ask mechanic what's wrong with bike. Price is good if nothing else wrong. Water pumps go out all the time. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jon Helic said:

Yep, I like the heck out of mine... But my new TE distracts me.

Like I said, if all he did was blow some water out, she's probably ok. If he kept riding her til she slowed down, or died... Not so much.

Gotta ask questions, talk to the mechanic.

On 7/11/2019 at 10:20 PM, 777654321 said:

Go to the shop and ask mechanic what's wrong with bike. Price is good if nothing else wrong. Water pumps go out all the time. 

He is good with me going to talk to the mechanic, he offered that option.

He is also increasing the price of the motorbike, he is saying that the cost of the reparation is $630 so he is asking me half of the cost of the reparation $2800 total (instead of $2500)

wtf

8 hours ago, Jon Helic said:

He is good with me going to talk to the mechanic, he offered that option.

He is also increasing the price of the motorbike, he is saying that the cost of the reparation is $630 so he is asking me half of the cost of the reparation $2800 total (instead of $2500)

wtf

Wow!!!! Run fast and stop communicating with that gold digger seller. 

You cannot boost the price just to cover a repair cost. However, that is a really clean and truly low mile bike. A leaking water pump by itself is not 'overheated', it is merely a bad seal. Now, if there were no coolant in the bike, ridden until it seized, that is another matter entirely. You need to get the details of the 'over heating'. BTW, a $630 bill to R&R a water pump is more than twice what the job is worth. Unless the price incldes a true carb cleaning, new battery and general servicing. But that cost is an "ownership cost' and not an add-on value. Not doing it is a subtraction.

That bike (fixed and running properly) is worth about $3K, certainly worth getting at $2.5K

• Like 1

11 hours ago, William1 said:

You cannot boost the price just to cover a repair cost. However, that is a really clean and truly low mile bike. A leaking water pump by itself is not 'overheated', it is merely a bad seal. Now, if there were no coolant in the bike, ridden until it seized, that is another matter entirely. You need to get the details of the 'over heating'. BTW, a $630 bill to R&R a water pump is more than twice what the job is worth. Unless the price incldes a true carb cleaning, new battery and general servicing. But that cost is an "ownership cost' and not an add-on value. Not doing it is a subtraction.

That bike (fixed and running properly) is worth about $3K, certainly worth getting at $2.5K

Thanks a lot for your feed back guys, its highly appreciated :)

1 hour ago, elrontx said:

tell him you'll give him 2500 if the bike runs fine after the repair "and you test ride it" if not walk away. he'll sell it to you for that price. im sure that bike has more then 700 miles as well. 

Thanks guys for feedback !!! yep I may just offer that and see what happens