XR650R value of used OEM XRR wheelset

hey guys, over the next couple months, im going to be replacing the factory wheelset on my 650R. i will be selling the complete oem wheelset. 

can anybody give me an idea of what these wheels are worth?? they are in very good shape w low mileage. i dont want to overcharge anybody who wants them, but i want a fair price as well

thanks TT!

I spent two years tracking down a set of wheels for my XR650L.  I bought the pair for $200, which was a good deal.  I had to spend another $100 on them adding sprocket, brake rotor, and the correct bolts to hold them all in place.  I figure with a good set of tires on them I could probably sell them for around $500, but that's not going to happen as long as I own the bike.  It's nice to be able to swap tires in under 20 minutes.

Back when I actually looked at these things, a rear wheel (complete and in great shape) was usually running around $350 complete on eBay, with a front running around $250.  I never bought XR wheels, but I have bought KTM wheels and as @ScottRNelson mentioned, if you wait you can find some great deals.  I picked up front and rear KTM wheels for under $200 each and a front CRF/R wheel (for my USD setup) for $125.

The front 650R wheel is cheaper because it is interchangeable with many other XRs, while the rear is specific to the 650R and won't fit anything else without work.

Just note that you can buy a brand new complete wheel from Warp 9 (with rotor and sprocket) for $404, or a new OEM for around $560.  If you are going to sell it bare, I would say just under $300 is about right as putting on a rotor and sprocket will put it around the same price as the new Warp 9.  If you are going to sell it with the rotor and sprocket, then around $350 is probably fair IMO.

• Like 1

hey eastreich i didnt know warp 9 still made wheel sets for the XRR. i have not seen them on their website ?

@kwekuPaul, this is a screenshot from right now. There was a time you couldn't get the 2.5 width rear rim (at least, not without calling them), but from my knowledge you have always been able to get the 2.15 width.

Warp9 650R Wide.JPG

ah i was actually looking for  warp 9 hubs sometime back and that drop down list doesnt show the XR650r.  That is why i was confused.

25 minutes ago, kwekuPaul said:

ah i was actually looking for  warp 9 hubs sometime back and that drop down list doesnt show the XR650r.  That is why i was confused.

Warp 9 doesn't sell specific hubs for the 650R as the bike is an oddball with spoke count and axle size compared to all other Honda dirt bikes.  The rear wheel assembly they sell for the 650R is a CRF/R 36 spoke rear hub (stock XR hub is 32 spoke) with different wheel spacers to match the slightly smaller diameter XR axle.

1 hour ago, kwekuPaul said:

i guess the wheel bearing ID must match the XR axle though ??

If they use OEM compatible bearings, no.  There is no off the shelf bearing that fits the OD of the CRF hub and had the ID to fit the XR axle.  

You use wheel spacers that are like an older KTM in which the spacer also fits between the bearing and the axle.

FWIW, the rear wheel spacers on my 2008 505 are the correct inner and outer diameter to do this task with a CRF rear wheel, they just do not provide the correct distance between the hub and swingarm.

Here is a thread where someone built spacers and has the dimensions required that will allow you to use a CRF/R or CRF/X rear wheel on the 650R.  I have seen the spacers for sale before, but I can't remember where it was.

• Like 1

I bought a set in good condition last year with spacers, rotors, and sprocket for $450.

• Helpful 1

23 hours ago, dbryant61 said:

I bought a set in good condition last year with spacers, rotors, and sprocket for $450.

thanks for the reply. im probably going to look at close to that price. they will be available sometime this fall if you guys know anybody interested. they are in low mileage and good condition.